Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
cartagena

Stereo Really Sucks Part II

So I went to the stereo guy yesterday.....

I am not sure if the 986 has the same setup as my 987 so let me explain.

There are two different sized round speakers in each door I suppose providing bass and midrange and 3 small speakers in the dash that must be providing treble (one in the middle and the other two on each side of the dash). This is the cheap stereo Porsche provides and it sounds like mud.

So stereo guy is saying to change everything to Alpine. I do not think his reason for this is because Alpine is the best but rather that Alpine is the best he has here.

The plan is we will change the two door speakers on each side, put two tweeters in the front and forget about the middle speaker in the dash. In the trunk we will stick in some sort of huge subwoofer and amp.

I am told this will sound kickass and will be heard from far away?

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this because I really have no clue anymore about what is a good stereo.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Unless the shop ports the subwoofer in the trunck to the cabin don't expect to hear anything from it while driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
So I went to the stereo guy yesterday.....

I am not sure if the 986 has the same setup as my 987 so let me explain.

There are two different sized round speakers in each door I suppose providing bass and midrange and 3 small speakers in the dash that must be providing treble (one in the middle and the other two on each side of the dash). This is the cheap stereo Porsche provides and it sounds like mud.

So stereo guy is saying to change everything to Alpine. I do not think his reason for this is because Alpine is the best but rather that Alpine is the best he has here.

The plan is we will change the two door speakers on each side, put two tweeters in the front and forget about the middle speaker in the dash. In the trunk we will stick in some sort of huge subwoofer and amp.

I am told this will sound kickass and will be heard from far away?

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this because I really have no clue anymore about what is a good stereo.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
cartagena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Unless the shop ports the subwoofer in the trunck to the cabin don't expect to hear anything from it while driving...
Would it be better to put the subwoofer in the front?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Would it be better to put the subwoofer in the front?
In the front as in the front trunk? Yes that would be the only one you would get any type of sound from. The rear has the motor inbetween and you wouldnt be able to hear anything.

Our cars are designed for both Left and Right hand drive, so there is an opening in which the port should run from the front trunk to the cabin. It is a about 3.5" in diameter.

However, the BEST place to put a subwoofer in this car is in the passanger footwell. This will give you the best sound.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
cartagena

This is probably a stupid question, but isn't the passenger footwell where the passenger puts his feet? On the floor in front of the passenger's seat? If so, with a subwoofer there where would the passenger put his feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
In the front as in the front trunk? Yes that would be the only one you would get any type of sound from. The rear has the motor inbetween and you wouldnt be able to hear anything.

Our cars are designed for both Left and Right hand drive, so there is an opening in which the port should run from the front trunk to the cabin. It is a about 3.5" in diameter.

However, the BEST place to put a subwoofer in this car is in the passanger footwell. This will give you the best sound.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
This is probably a stupid question, but isn't the passenger footwell where the passenger puts his feet? On the floor in front of the passenger's seat? If so, with a subwoofer there where would the passenger put his feet?
In the trunk obviously gosh......

On a more serious note, the sub would be small such as an 8" which doesnt need much air space in the box. I have one in my car which no one even notices. Super small and compact.

P.S. For all these posts im doing for you the least you can do is post some picture of your "ASSistants"
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3