Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #1

Ticking sound pass vent, and how do you remove the tension cables?

2000 Boxster S, 47k miles.

I'm hearing a sound from the engine, it's like a playing card in your bike spokes. It's coming from right there at the passenger side vent, this steady ticking sound. I can hear it when it idles, and I think it's rev-related in speed. I know the belt is possibly a culprit, but I was also wondering if it could be bearings in the engine cooling fan since it sounds like it's right there at the vent.

In regards to this, I'd love to remove the top hatch and take a look. Which brings me to my next question, how do you remove the ball-and-socket joints at the end of the tension cables on the soft top? They seem pretty stuck on there, I can feel a tiny metal tab at the bottom of the outer metal ball but not sure what to do. BTW the cable has a black plastic wrap but nothing on the ball ends (heard there used to be red plastic here somewhere that would lengthen and cause problems).

Thanks for any help, car is recently purchased and just trying to track down all the gremlins and get it running smooth.

David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
2000 Boxster S, 47k miles.

I'm hearing a sound from the engine, it's like a playing card in your bike spokes. It's coming from right there at the passenger side vent, this steady ticking sound. I can hear it when it idles, and I think it's rev-related in speed. I know the belt is possibly a culprit, but I was also wondering if it could be bearings in the engine cooling fan since it sounds like it's right there at the vent.
Could this "ticking" sound be the exhaust heating-up and then when you shut the car down, be it cooling-off?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #3

"how do you remove the ball-and-socket joints at the end of the tension cables on the soft top? They seem pretty stuck on there"

Basically it's just a wiggle and pull operation.
They're about as hard to put back on, too.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote