Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Do you rent your tools out?

I've recently bought some on the high price side tool kits and wouldn't mind trying to get some money back by renting out my tool kits?

Do any of you rent out your tools? If you do, how do you go about making sure they bring the tools back?

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #2

Never done that but just make sure they leave a deposit for the full price of the tool
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
Never done that but just make sure they leave a deposit for the full price of the tool
Yep - pretty much how AutoZone, Advance and O'Reilly's each do it with their tool loaner program. You buy the tool up front but get full refund when you return... except in your case you'll keep a few beans for the usage.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

I don't rent my tools out, that would imply letting strangers take my tools away. I do let friends borrow my tools, I know where they live and have their phone numbers and have never been burned. You're right, we do accumulate some pretty specialized tools for working on our Porsches, I work on hybrids, too. It requires a special harness and proprietary (tho pirated) software. And a special harness and two electronic boxes for conditioning the batteries.

I have a set of star drive sockets, cheap from HF, but so important to working on the Porsche. Factory reman'd engines from Porsche have all the hex fasteners replaced with star drive fasteners. Yech! Wish I had Durametric, too spendy at present, tho.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #5

I haven't rented any tools out, but I have been on the renting side multiple times. I pay a deposit over the cost of the tool plus a rental fee. Has worked out so far. If I had any specialized tool I would rent it out. I did just get the $75 elephant LCA central bushing tool that I would be happy to rent out but after shipping both ways and a small fee, it is practically at the price of the tool
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

When I had my E46 I had all sorts of cool tools for it. But the money was an OTC hub puller set for European cars. I would rent the tool on ebay.

The way I worked it, the person renting the tool basically buys the tool from me. When he returns it to me in good condition after using it I would send him a refund minus $40.

The last time I rented it, I got an email from the guy asking if he could just buy it from me. I didn't need it any more, so I agreed
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I rent out my IMS bearing tools. I don't take a deposit and they have always come back. Maybe I'm sucker for trusting people but that trust has always been honored by the renters.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/60242-rent-ims-installation-tool-set.html
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I rent out my IMS bearing tools. I don't take a deposit and they have always come back. Maybe I'm sucker for trusting people but that trust has always been honored by the renters.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/60242-rent-ims-installation-tool-set.html
Did you rent them to Ant?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
Well I bought a SIR B90 Master Tool Kit. They are not cheap and it allows you to pull the bearings out of your car without having to take out the carrier assembly.

Also picked up a nice Pitman Arm/Tie Rod End Ball Joint Separator Remover Inner Bearing Race Puller kit.

It would be a heck of a deposit to cover the cost of the SIR B90 Master Tool Kit plus renting fee. Although much much cheaper then having a shop do it. The Pitman Arm/Tie Rod End Ball Joint Separator Remover Inner Bearing Race Puller kit wouldn't be too bad.

I was thinking about doing it locally as shipping cost is about $50 just on the SIR B90 Master Tool Kit.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-22-2019 at 06:47 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Garage
I was able to buy the hub extractor bracket by itself online. I used it with a harbor freight wheel bearing kit. 1/2 the price of the Master kit. changed the bearings on all 4 wheel in an afternoon.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I was able to buy the hub extractor bracket by itself online. I used it with a harbor freight wheel bearing kit. 1/2 the price of the Master kit. changed the bearings on all 4 wheel in an afternoon.
The SIR B90 Master kit actually got into my hands at a much lower price then normal. I might not have bought it if I didn't get it at the price I did. I thought about trying what you did, but wasn't sure how well it would work out and I found this deal on the SIR B90 Master kit and it was a no-brainer to go that route IMO.

However I won't be able to get the price I paid again and would have to figure the normal cost replacement if I rented it out. The Harbor Freight kit is $137.90 with shipping and tax and the hub grappler is $159.97. So that's a total of $297.87 for kits of lower quality then the SIR B90.

So if I rented it out I could gain back extra cost after about 3 rentals. Or I could sell it and possibly break even, but I would rather hang onto it though.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #12

Nope, never thought about it. Too much hassle and not really worth the $$$ in the long haul. Perhaps things like the IMS tools and other high dollar specialty tools might be a thought, but still kind of a pain at the end of the day. For friends and maybe the Porsche club for the above it might be cool.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #13

I wish I could fine a couple of other 986 owners in Tucson to share Durametric with. The enthusiasts kit comes with three licenses. I would only need one.

On a motorcycle forum, there were a couple of traveling sets of kits to adjust the valves on ST1100's. No deposit, if you got the kit, you could keep it til someone needed it, then you were responsible for shipping. If we would go in on a Pro Durametric, with unlimited licenses, we could do something like that. Maybe charge a subscription fee to finance another Durametric kit even.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
The SIR B90 Master kit actually got into my hands at a much lower price then normal. I might not have bought it if I didn't get it at the price I did. I thought about trying what you did, but wasn't sure how well it would work out and I found this deal on the SIR B90 Master kit and it was a no-brainer to go that route IMO.

However I won't be able to get the price I paid again and would have to figure the normal cost replacement if I rented it out. The Harbor Freight kit is $137.90 with shipping and tax and the hub grappler is $159.97. So that's a total of $297.87 for kits of lower quality then the SIR B90.

So if I rented it out I could gain back extra cost after about 3 rentals. Or I could sell it and possibly break even, but I would rather hang onto it though.
Yeah looks like the OTC Grappler has gone up a little bit dang it, but this is essentially the same FWD bearing adapter kit on Amazon for $66
Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #15
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Yeah looks like the OTC Grappler has gone up a little bit dang it, but this is essentially the same FWD bearing adapter kit on Amazon for $66
You get what you pay for on kits like this, low price, low quality.

Click on the 1 star reviews and you will see the low quality of this kit.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-24-2019 at 09:17 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #16

Quote:
You get what you pay for on kits like this, low price, low quality.

Click on the 1 star reviews and you will see the low quality of this kit.
One thing for sure with the SIR kit you know you have got top quality, it is good stuff
Old 04-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #17

Garage
I have a SIR in Raleigh NC that I would rent regionally. Shipping long distances would be cost prohibitive. I rented a kit to do my IMS. I bunged up a part and paid to replace the part. I rented it from CBXRacerX IRCC.

Last edited by BFeller; 04-24-2019 at 07:14 PM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
I have a SIR in Raleigh NC that I would rent regionally. Shipping long distances would be cost prohibitive. I rented a kit to do my IMS. I bunged up a part and paid to replace the part. I rented it from CBXRacerX IRCC.
What was your rental fee on the SIR kit?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
What was your rental fee on the SIR kit?
I should have said been clearer in my response. I meant in the future. I have seen an opportunity to rent out the kit.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #20

So the guy who treats Boxster engines for his Spec racer as a consumable (which seems appropriate in that application) and never bothers replacing the IMSB has a set of the tools! Impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

Last edited by PaulE; 04-25-2019 at 07:58 AM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote