Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Time to "hash" out the P1328 CEL code

Hello all, sorry for the "420" reference.

My 2003 Boxster S w/ 94k miles

has a recurring p1328 CEL code that keeps coming up, now simply 5 minutes of driving will activate it after clearing.

This code points to bank 1 Engine Variable Timing Solenoid. I have the part and to help clarify, the part number is PN# 996 105 303 06.

I have search high and low to find our about this CEL code and about the solenoid replacement, the information is all over the place.
ottomotion, on this forum mentions...
"The solenoids are @ $200 each and you will need one for each head. For the 03', the solenoid is inserted into the cam cover. No need to take the cam covers off like 02' and earlier which is an expensive job.
The 03-04 job is maybe 15 minutes each side if you have never done it before. I just did mine."
on rennlist, with pictures of this specific solenoid there is a thread that seems to agree it is a 18 hour job to replace the solenoid.

part of my search also found that these solenoids rarely fail and to check other potential issue, with one individual claiming he fixed his p1328 code by addressing an issue with the MAF.

Obviously, if this is truly an 18 hour job , I would want to verify that the solenoid actually needs replacing. I have the part I can simply swap it out if it is a 15 minute job. I just want to try and get a little clarification here from people that may have first hand experience on this.

Again, I have a 2003 Boxster S, I hear year may matter here. Any help will be appreciated!

xuno_gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuno_gil View Post
Hello all, sorry for the "420" reference.

My 2003 Boxster S w/ 94k miles

has a recurring p1328 CEL code that keeps coming up, now simply 5 minutes of driving will activate it after clearing.

This code points to bank 1 Engine Variable Timing Solenoid. I have the part and to help clarify, the part number is PN# 996 105 303 06.

I have search high and low to find our about this CEL code and about the solenoid replacement, the information is all over the place.
ottomotion, on this forum mentions...
"The solenoids are @ $200 each and you will need one for each head. For the 03', the solenoid is inserted into the cam cover. No need to take the cam covers off like 02' and earlier which is an expensive job.
The 03-04 job is maybe 15 minutes each side if you have never done it before. I just did mine."
on rennlist, with pictures of this specific solenoid there is a thread that seems to agree it is a 18 hour job to replace the solenoid.

part of my search also found that these solenoids rarely fail and to check other potential issue, with one individual claiming he fixed his p1328 code by addressing an issue with the MAF.

Obviously, if this is truly an 18 hour job , I would want to verify that the solenoid actually needs replacing. I have the part I can simply swap it out if it is a 15 minute job. I just want to try and get a little clarification here from people that may have first hand experience on this.

Again, I have a 2003 Boxster S, I hear year may matter here. Any help will be appreciated!
You should be able to activate each solenoid separately with a Porsche specific scan tool prior to buying or installing anything............
Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #3

yes, that sounds like the best option. My first goal is simply to reach the solenoid and simply check the resistance across the pins, should be between 11 & 13 ohms from what I understand. I then will verify I'm getting power to it with an understanding that a intermittent short might not be exposed here.

I can do all that but still curious on this replacement conflict of information.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #4

Update

Well I reached the Bank 1 solenoid, very easy to do just have to take the rear wheel/tire off.
Unplugged the solenoid and checked the resistance. There was a lot of resistance, off the charts on the scale I was using, not at all at 11-13 ohms.

I removed the solenoid and installed the new one. I can confirm that on an 03 Boxster S, this is a 15 minute job if one takes a ~7 minute break in the middle. Very easy.

Now to see if it fixes all my problems. Will update on that but do want to drive a little to make sure.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #5

Too early to tell for sure but drove around for about 20 minutes, with some good pulls and no CEL?
That is the longest it has gone for a while...