Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Window regulator question

Hello all

I am a little familiar with these window regulators and the mechanism that drops/raises the window an inch or so when open and closing the door. I have a slight issue with this mechanism that I wish someone can help me identify.

The mechanism works only when the door handle is pulled.
So if I am out of the car and pull the door handle to open the door, the window will drop. I open the door and I don't notice anything weird. But then I realize the window has come back up because I try to close the door and the window hits the roof. I realize that the window drops if I have the door handle pulled but as soon as I let it go, it raises back up.

Is this the switch in the handle and does it mean the switch is just misaligned?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

xuno_gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

The lock mechanism will usually be the culprit. The part will run around $200.00+. Had to replace mine in my 2001. Name:  986doorlock.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  40.3 KB

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mmassey0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
With the door open, if the window does the short drop and rise when you lift and release the handle, the problem is most likely the micro-switch in the door latch. The best way to repair it is to replace the whole latch.

You can use a much less expensive latch from a similar VW/Audi, but it may need a slight modification to work.

Check out this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70183-vw-do-latch-actuator.html
Old 03-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

Thanks a lot!

This was very helpful. It completely makes sense that the issue is the door latch and the link to that other thread is going to make this a very easy and inexpensive fix.

Great help.

xuno_gil is offline   Reply With Quote