Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Stereo Sucks so Bad

As we all know the stereo sucks. I want to buy a total new system for my 2006 Boxster. I want something that will not change the cosmetics of the car but pump out mind shattering sound. I am willing to spend $3000-$4000.

Can someone tell me in that price range what would be the best choice of stereo, power amp and speakers? Hooking up the Ipod is also important.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,518
cartagena,

You're back ! I thought you were selling the Boxster ? Haven't heard from you in awhile...

From everything I've heard, sounds like this may be your best option :

http://www.reusaudio.com/

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7094&page=2&pp=20&highlight=stereo

Hope this helps...

Nick
__________________
*
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/DSC03717.jpg

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I did not get any good offers. One guy did offer me several cows.....

The idea of selling it makes me sad. So now it is "sorta" for sale. I am sure it will take a long time to sell it here.

I am back on the coast now with it. Took it out yesterday for a 135+ mile an hour cruise with my new assistant and kept saying "now why do I want to sell it?"

I need to get a kick ass stereo though since Metallica sounds like crap on the factory stereo.

Thanks for the link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
cartagena,

You're back ! I thought you were selling the Boxster ? Haven't heard from you in awhile...

From everything I've heard, sounds like this may be your best option :

http://www.reusaudio.com/

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7094&page=2&pp=20&highlight=stereo

Hope this helps...

Nick
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 440
We are gonna need some new pictures...
__________________
Marc Gelefsky
02 996 Carrera Coupe 6 Speed Aero
86 911 Carrera Targa

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Can't go wrong with Reus Audio. Call Rick Reus and let him know your situation, they will help transport the car to California then make sure it gets back to you as soon as they are done.

I went with their Highest system for the Boxster and it ran me about 5k.

Hope this helps.

www.reusaudio.com
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I am sure these guys do great installs but shipping the car from South America is just not an option. It would be extremely time consuming and expensive. Thanks for the tip though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Can't go wrong with Reus Audio. Call Rick Reus and let him know your situation, they will help transport the car to California then make sure it gets back to you as soon as they are done.

I went with their Highest system for the Boxster and it ran me about 5k.

Hope this helps.

www.reusaudio.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
I assume you have the basic stereo (not sound plus or Bose?). If so, then I can understand your choice of words in the subject line. However, I think there has to be a level of acceptance that the Box just doesn't make a good sound studio.

I've gone from the basic stereo in my 987 base (which I actually thought sounded OK with the top-up) to the Bose in the S and subjectively, there's improvement, but objectively speaking, not so much. Top-up, the sound of the engine seriously compromises sound quality (noticeably louder in the base than S) and top-down, the wind turbulence is the worse of the four convertibles I've owned.

The Reus devotees on the board may disagree, but to a certain extent, I think that trying to achieve great tunage in the Box is an exercise in futility, only made more difficult by your geographic location. I wish Porsche would put headrest speakers in the 987, but it also sounds like your objective is as much "waking the neighbors" as it is "optimal sound quality".

The point being, I'd hate to see you spend alot of money upgrading your stereo, only to find the upgrade compromised by drawbacks of the car's setup. For example the Bose, which represents an upgrade (of debatable worth), isn't really enough to overcome those drawbacks.
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
I need to get a kick ass stereo though since Metallica sounds like crap on the factory stereo.
Oh man,have you listened to Metallica S & M on any decent stereo system? Wow!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Oh man,have you listened to Metallica S & M on any decent stereo system? Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, "Nothing Else Matters" from the S & M disk is AWSOME. My former BMW had a nice sound system in it and it just rocked cruising around with that tune on especially when the bass box would vibrate the whole car.

My Boxster with the basic stereo system however sounds like a tin can.

I was cruising today along the ocean with my new assistant listening to Ozzy live doing Paranoid from the Tribute album. My foot got a little heavy and before I knew it I was doing 135 mph with one hand in the air. My assistant was yelling "Papi papi! Mas rapido!!!" The orange sun was setting into the ocean, I could smell the cane burning in the distance and was surrounded by palm trees. It made all the taxes I had to pay on that car worth while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yes, you are right. Being a convertible with a small interior is an inherent negative for the acoustics of the car. But almost anything will be an improvement over the factory stereo. I would really like to hear one of these Reus setups next time I am in the states though. I wonder how hard it would be to buy all the pieces and install it myself?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I assume you have the basic stereo (not sound plus or Bose?). If so, then I can understand your choice of words in the subject line. However, I think there has to be a level of acceptance that the Box just doesn't make a good sound studio.

I've gone from the basic stereo in my 987 base (which I actually thought sounded OK with the top-up) to the Bose in the S and subjectively, there's improvement, but objectively speaking, not so much. Top-up, the sound of the engine seriously compromises sound quality (noticeably louder in the base than S) and top-down, the wind turbulence is the worse of the four convertibles I've owned.

The Reus devotees on the board may disagree, but to a certain extent, I think that trying to achieve great tunage in the Box is an exercise in futility, only made more difficult by your geographic location. I wish Porsche would put headrest speakers in the 987, but it also sounds like your objective is as much "waking the neighbors" as it is "optimal sound quality".

The point being, I'd hate to see you spend alot of money upgrading your stereo, only to find the upgrade compromised by drawbacks of the car's setup. For example the Bose, which represents an upgrade (of debatable worth), isn't really enough to overcome those drawbacks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 17
I had my done last weekend.

Focal 165V1 6" speakers and tweeters in custom door installation.
Focal 100CV1 4" in dash.
Alpine MRPF250 Amp.
Alpine CDA9856 Head End with full IPOD control.

Great sound and volume.
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer
I had my done last weekend.

Focal 165V1 6" speakers and tweeters in custom door installation.
Focal 100CV1 4" in dash.
Alpine MRPF250 Amp.
Alpine CDA9856 Head End with full IPOD control.

Great sound and volume.
Would this work with a 987 as well? If it sounds good I could get the same stuff shipped down to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I assume you have the basic stereo (not sound plus or Bose?). If so, then I can understand your choice of words in the subject line. However, I think there has to be a level of acceptance that the Box just doesn't make a good sound studio.

I've gone from the basic stereo in my 987 base (which I actually thought sounded OK with the top-up) to the Bose in the S and subjectively, there's improvement, but objectively speaking, not so much. Top-up, the sound of the engine seriously compromises sound quality (noticeably louder in the base than S) and top-down, the wind turbulence is the worse of the four convertibles I've owned.

The Reus devotees on the board may disagree, but to a certain extent, I think that trying to achieve great tunage in the Box is an exercise in futility, only made more difficult by your geographic location. I wish Porsche would put headrest speakers in the 987, but it also sounds like your objective is as much "waking the neighbors" as it is "optimal sound quality".

The point being, I'd hate to see you spend alot of money upgrading your stereo, only to find the upgrade compromised by drawbacks of the car's setup. For example the Bose, which represents an upgrade (of debatable worth), isn't really enough to overcome those drawbacks.
Hi,

You took the words out of my mouth, I agree with everything you say. Not to diss the Reus guys, if they're happy, even if they think it sounds better, it's their car, their money.

But, as mentioned, no car makes a good accoustic stage, especially a convertible.

I'd much rather take the $5k and drop it in my Home System, it seems there's always a new gizmo to add. But again, that's me...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
even if they think it sounds better, it's their car, their money.

I’m absolutely positive it sounds great.

I've been are great sounding music for while and I know what it should sound like. During the modeling of our home 5years ago or so we had a Mark Levinson system put in, covered every room including bathrooms and pool area. System ran off of separate amps in each room and can be controlled by individual section or all by the "main brain" in the living room. Anyone who’s had/heard one knows those systems sound damn near perfect and do not come cheap (ran us, at that time, about $145k).

At the same time, many of my friends are sound engineers for Warner Music Group, J Records…etc. Been in many studio recordings, and know what studio music sounds like

None the less, not to "diss" anyone on this forum but you should hear a Reus System before you judge it. And if it could all be done again I would have Reus do the house rather than a Mark Levinson.
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I’m absolutely positive it sounds great.

I've been are great sounding music for while and I know what it should sound like. During the modeling of our home 5years ago or so we had a Mark Levinson system put in, covered every room including bathrooms and pool area. System ran off of separate amps in each room and can be controlled by individual section or all by the "main brain" in the living room. Anyone who’s had/heard one knows those systems sound damn near perfect and do not come cheap (ran us, at that time, about $145k).

At the same time, many of my friends are sound engineers for Warner Music Group, J Records…etc. Been in many studio recordings, and know what studio music sounds like

None the less, not to "diss" anyone on this forum but you should hear a Reus System before you judge it. And if it could all be done again I would have Reus do the house rather than a Mark Levinson.
Hi,

Misunderstanding here... I didn't say it didn't sound better at all, I'm sure it does. I guess I would be skeptical that it sounds $5k better, but that's of course subjective. But, when some people have talked about adding SONY, Pioneer and Kenwood systems and sounding just like being there, I think much of the effect may be placebic.

I am satisfied with the OEM system in my '99. It's not what I would call great, but it is adequate, especially after adding the OEM Rear Speakers. But, I am reluctant to leap into major $$ upgrades because I don't believe it can be greatly improved upon and still maintain a favorable cost/benefit ratio. Besides, I love just listening to the engine.

I have a high-end system in my Esprit and it sounds pretty good (though not as good as my Home System by a long shot), and even this system is ON maybe 10% of the time I'm driving the car at best. The Motor right behind your ear is my preferred music anyway. But if I were to put the same system in my Boxster, I'm sure it wouldn't sound 50% as good as it does now. Sorry if you think I was jabbin' at you...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Misunderstanding here... I didn't say it didn't sound better at all, I'm sure it does. I guess I would be skeptical that it sounds $5k better, but that's of course subjective. But, when some people have talked about adding SONY, Pioneer and Kenwood systems and sounding just like being there, I think much of the effect may be placebic.

I am satisfied with the OEM system in my '99. It's not what I would call great, but it is adequate, especially after adding the OEM Rear Speakers. But, I am reluctant to leap into major $$ upgrades because I don't believe it can be greatly improved upon and still maintain a favorable cost/benefit ratio. Besides, I love just listening to the engine.

I have a high-end system in my Esprit and it sounds pretty good (though not as good as my Home System by a long shot), and even this system is ON maybe 10% of the time I'm driving the car at best. The Motor right behind your ear is my preferred music anyway. But if I were to put the same system in my Boxster, I'm sure it wouldn't sound 50% as good as it does now. Sorry if you think I was jabbin' at you...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I completely agree with you when it comes to the cost/benefit ratio. I had the $$$ to blow on the system and just did it.

Actually when I bought the car 5some years ago I had no intent to mess with the stereo or anything on the interior, but it kind of turned into a snowball effect. First I just wanted a navigation system, and then realized I would have to remove the stock amp/CD changer, and the changes just kept coming. When I finally blew out my door speakers with the aftermarket amp I had in the car with the Navi I got fed up and just threw out the 5k.

I am very happy with it right now, but if I could do it all again from the very beginning I wouldn't touch it at all.

After mentioning how great my Reus System is, I kind of went backwards on that one huh? Oh Well. $$$ out the window, everyone has to make a living somehow.
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
As we all know the stereo sucks. I want to buy a total new system for my 2006 Boxster. I want something that will not change the cosmetics of the car but pump out mind shattering sound. I am willing to spend $3000-$4000.
Cartagena, I can fix your stereo sounding like crap for about 15 bucks....I'll keep the remaining $3985 for consultation fees.....ready...buy a different CD, I think the Metallica may be the problem now please send a check
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
Cartagena, I can fix your stereo sounding like crap for about 15 bucks....I'll keep the remaining $3985 for consultation fees.....ready...buy a different CD, I think the Metallica may be the problem now please send a check

Why don't you send me one of your Spandau Ballet disks so I can try something different?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Oh man,have you listened to Metallica S & M on any decent stereo system? Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Metallica became terminally ill with the black album and died forever with the release of Load.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,518
Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, GREAT albums !

And Justice for All, OK.

Everything since "Justice", total crap...

__________________
*
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/DSC03717.jpg

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page