Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

On spin on filter question

I am thinking of buying the ln magnetic drain plug and the ln spin on filter adapter
My question is what filter would I use number and how would you check the filter for metal shavings when you do the oil filter change

Jimbo409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

Garage
Search the answer is out there
Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
...and how would you check the filter for metal shavings when you do the oil filter change
You'll need to open the metal canister. Not impossible but adds a bit more effort to the inspection task. One of the primary drawbacks.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

On spin on filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
I am thinking of buying the ln magnetic drain plug and the ln spin on filter adapter

My question is what filter would I use number and how would you check the filter for metal shavings when you do the oil filter change
Hi Jim,

The filter info is listed on LN’s site (NAPA 1042 or Wix 51042). Worth a read. Be sure you understand the pros and cons of eliminating the oil filter bypass valve (info available via search). You use a filter cutter to open the filter for inspection. You have to be careful with the sharp edges! Very easy to use a Filtermag or two with the spin on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-02-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
LN magnetic drain plugs are notoriously bad (cracks, leaks).
Just use a filter magnet.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hi Jim,

The filter info is listed on LN’s site (NAPA 1042 or Wix 51042). Worth a read. Be sure you understand the pros and cons of eliminating the oil filter bypass valve (info available via search). You use a filter cutter to open the filter for inspection. You have to be careful with the sharp edges! Very easy to use a Filtermag or two with the spin on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That filter cutter is quite the contraption. I just use a pair of tin snips. Takes about 30 seconds. But, as mentioned, seriously sharp edges!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No kidding?
I've not heard that before.
I've had mine in place for many years and it's not leaked a drop.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:08 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
No kidding?
I've not heard that before.
I've had mine in place for many years and it's not leaked a drop.

Yes.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes.

Well, I'll readily admit this is based on a survey of one, but that's just not what I've seen.

I wonder if people are cranking too hard on them when replacing following oil drainage? They do seem like they're of a material that might be harder and therefore potentially more brittle. More prone to failure if overly forced.

It's been my experience that oil pan drain plugs just don't have to be torqued all that super tight. I push firmly with two or three fingers (not my whole hand) and call it good. The next time I drive I'll look underneath for signs of leakage. To date, I've never seen any, with either the OEM plug or the LN magnetic one.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:40 AM   #10

The torque value for the LN magnetic drain plug is 19 ft/lbs, not much past a good finger tight. Most of us are used to changing the oil in our Ford/Chevy and cranking down on the steel plug into a steel pan. I use a beam torque wrench to put my LN magnetic plug in as I know that I'd twist it off or distort it so that it would crack.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
The torque value for the LN magnetic drain plug is 19 ft/lbs, not much past a good finger tight. Most of us are used to changing the oil in our Ford/Chevy and cranking down on the steel plug into a steel pan. I use a beam torque wrench to put my LN magnetic plug in as I know that I'd twist it off or distort it so that it would crack.
Bingo.
Survey sample size just doubled to two.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:54 AM   #12

Quote:
+1 on the filter magnet. It’s no contest between the oil drain plug magnet and the Filtermags or the oil canister high temp neodymium magnet mod for removal of metals from the oil.

I’ve had my LN magnetic drain plug in since 2017 with no issues, but I always use a new washer and torque to spec at 19 ftlbs. I guess I really don’t need it with the Filtermags but I use it because I already have it.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 03-03-2019, 04:14 AM   #13

Quote:
+1 on the filter magnet. It’s no contest between the oil drain plug magnet and the Filtermags or the oil canister high temp neodymium magnet mod for removal of metals from the oil.

I’ve had my LN magnetic drain plug in since 2017 with no issues, but I always use a new washer and torque to spec at 19 ftlbs. I guess I really don’t need it with the Filtermags but I use it because I already have it.
Yeah, I don't dispute the wisdom behind this post. I only wondered whether the (previously unknown to me) problems with the magnetic plug might actually be attributable to user error rather than some inherent shortcoming of the product.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:52 AM   #14
Who's askin'?

So, if you guys are finished telling particlewave that he doesn't know how to install a drain plug (have you SEEN his work? ) then perhaps a quick turn to google is in order?
A simple, single search brings up what looks to be HUNDREDS of failed, leaky LN magnetic drain plugs.
Frodo, you want to go on about sample size; looks like google has you beat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
So, if you guys are finished telling particlewave that he doesn't know how to install a drain plug (have you SEEN his work? ) then perhaps a quick turn to google is in order?
A simple, single search brings up what looks to be HUNDREDS of failed, leaky LN magnetic drain plugs.

I wasn’t telling PW anything. PW has been a great help to me and I respect his opinion. I was simply relating my personal experience.

It’s ok to have differences of opinion and experiences presented in a civil manner.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-03-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #16

Quote:

Ummm...I'm pretty sure I never even implied particlewave didn't know how to install a drain plug. Only that there were quite possibly others out there with that issue. (Apparently/possibly, assuming your research is correct, "HUNDREDS"). i have, in fact, personally experienced pw's good work---he's helped me out on a number of occasions. He knows these cars better than I ever hope to, and I appreciate as much as the next guy that he's here. So please don't put words in my mouth.

In that I'd never had any problems whatsoever with the mag plug in my box, it never dawned on me to research ANY of this. And, as usual with such searches, it's instances where people have had problems that show up online. (There's lots of people that use brute force in situations where they shouldn't. How many of those folks used a torque wrench in replacing their plugs? I wonder..) Generally speaking, nobody posts assertions that they've never had "Problem X" before. In this case I suspect there were MANY more than "HUNDREDS" who have not.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:19 AM   #17
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I wasn’t trying to tell PW anything. PW has been a great help to me and I respect his opinion. I was simply relating my personal experience.

It’s ok to have differences of opinion presented in a civil manner.
I was talking about Frodo and Elmer. Their posts have a decidedly "let me teach you how to do it right" tone about them.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #18

My post was not intended to be inflammatory at all nor condescending. I respect all of the guidance and opinions here. My personal experience is that had I not read the instructions that came with the LN plug, and the sticker with BOLD printing that said 19 ft/lbs, I'd have twisted the head right off of that plug.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
My post was not intended to be inflammatory at all nor condescending. I respect all of the guidance and opinions here. My personal experience is that had I not read the instructions that came with the LN plug, and the sticker with BOLD printing that said 19 ft/lbs, I'd have twisted the head right off of that plug.
+1

Quote:
I was talking about Frodo and Elmer. Their posts have a decidedly "let me teach you how to do it right" tone about them.

Sorry fella, but you're simply delusional.

Re-read my (our) posts. They state facts (I've not experienced the problem over many years of using the LN plug) and raise a question about why there would be the failures particlewave refers to. I never suggested he'd done anything incorrectly. (In fact---I don't know if this is true or not---but reading his post one gets the impression he never used the LN plug. He sounds like he's just reporting what he's picked up from others who have.) And in 1,500+ posts I've rarely, if ever, had a "let me teach you how to do it right" tone. In fact I've frequently admitted I know less about a given topic than many of the other posters on any given subject. And as I suggest above, I think it's clear to most that I've not come across with that tone here, either.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #20
Who's askin'?

Okay.... so you're both saying you didn't mean anything by it, suggesting perhaps I'm defending PW where it's unneeded?
If that's the case, my sincerest apologies.
But: before you pat yourselves on the back too aggressively: go back and read what you wrote, and see if you really think a reader shouldn't reasonably conclude what I did?

And frodo, you're trying to impune my "research" (which is no such thing. It's a single simple google search). But your premise is that there must certainly be at least as many that have not failed? I'l grant that's likely correct. So you're suggesting that a 50/50 standard of failure is adequate for a company like LN, who have positioned themselves at the absolute top of the market?