Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Shacky

Code P0453 Fix Help Needed

I've posted before but didn't get much help. Has anyone else dealt with P0453 Tank Pressure Sensor - Short to B+ code?

My car is in storage for winter but I'd like to plan on fixing in Spring. Should I just order a new sensor like this one?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=tank+pressure+se

I saw somewhere that gas cap is typical misdiagnosis. And I've seen references to leaks in canister or elsewhere.

Is this code for low pressure or high?

Help!

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

And what year and model would this car be? Thus what DME version are we running? Thus what OBD codes breakout description are we to use? 5.2 Above limit. Or 7.2 short circuit to B+. Use special tool 8616 to breakout signals from ECU. Check wiring from pressure valve to ECU for pinching, chafing, rodent chewing, etc.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:21 AM   #3
Shacky

'99 Boxster
Old 12-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shacky View Post
I've posted before but didn't get much help. Has anyone else dealt with P0453 Tank Pressure Sensor - Short to B+ code?

My car is in storage for winter but I'd like to plan on fixing in Spring. Should I just order a new sensor like this one?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=tank+pressure+se

I saw somewhere that gas cap is typical misdiagnosis. And I've seen references to leaks in canister or elsewhere.

Is this code for low pressure or high?

Help!
P0453 is the code for the pressure sensor being above the upper limit, usually because of a short on the B+ wire. The repair tree is to check the wiring running from the pressure sensor at the tank to the DME, repairing any faults.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Shacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P0453 is the code for the pressure sensor being above the upper limit, usually because of a short on the B+ wire. The repair tree is to check the wiring running from the pressure sensor at the tank to the DME, repairing any faults.
Thanks. I saw elsewhere that the sensor itself rarely fails. If it’s a real code does it mean excessive pressure?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks. I saw elsewhere that the sensor itself rarely fails. If it’s a real code does it mean excessive pressure?
Yes...………...
Old 12-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Shacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes...………...
So could that be as simple as gas cap?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:24 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Yes. Start with the most obvious and least expensive repair. If that doesn't cover it move onto the next part. Good luck with the code.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
No, the code is specific as noted.