Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Here are some pics. Will do an oil service this weekend, just waiting on the 3 square tool!

Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #22

Nice factory short-shifter! How about taking it apart and lube white bushings and adjust the end nut to ensure little bit of but not too tight end-play that may affect side-to-side action?
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #23
Yeah, I foolishly assumed it was a cheap unit from my secret peak at it during the initial inspection.

Disconnect the cables it it's like butter with not slop or play. I'm betting this gearbox oil change it going to make the difference....that and a cable adjustment (but I don't have the alignment tool). Will do my best with what I have.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #24
Hard Shifting 986 Gearbox.....UPDATE!

Any other guesses before the reveal?

Turns out it was a combination of several things.
1. Gearbox way, way, way overfull. Pulled the fill plug on the side and it was a gusher!
2. Cables probably out of alignment,
3. Factory short shift out of adjustment, loose, lots of play

Action taken
1. Drained and re-filled gearbox with fresh, good quality oil to the spec of 2.25 l
2. Adjusted cables best I could.
3. Removed shifter assembly, cleaned, adjusted, re-installed

Results
Much, much, much better. Feels firm, not tight and I don't need to force the shifts. Before it took a great deal of force to engage all gears. Still feels a bit notchy but maybe that is just the nature of the short shifter. It's so much better that I can live with that.

Thank you all for your input and advice!!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #25

Excellent news! Cheap fix and you can move on to enjoying your car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #26

Congrats on the purchase. I installed a name brand short shifter into my Boxster about 2 weeks after buying it. It was slightly harder to shift, but the quick fix to that was a fresh oil change. I filled my gear box with Redline 75w90 full synthetic with Redline friction modifier. Transmission shift like butter now
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #27

Garage
[I use Redline MT90 for my Cayman.

QUOTE=Tommy2;585012]...and to bring up another overly discussed topic, compatible gearbox oil for the 5-speed. Can't get the OEM Porsche stuff (dealer only service item, an over $400 job to drain/refill!!!) here and it can't be shipped. Stuck with something local. There is a good brand here called WAKOS and they make a fully synthetic 75W90 GL4/5 rated oil. I can also get Motul, Mobil 1, and occasionally Royal Purple.

Just found:
Royal Purple MaxGear
Castrol Syntrans GL-4
Liquid Moly GL4/GL5[/QUOTE]

512TXS is offline   Reply With Quote