Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
painsuf

Talking Boxster at the drag strip

Folks,
First time poster here,,please don't slam me. I've got the chance to take my 08 limited Edition Boxster S Orange in color to the Sonoma Drag strip next Wednesday the 14th. I know it's sacrilege to even think like this but I want do it anyway and ask a question. Does anyone have any idea what a 08 Boxster S might turn in the quarter mile ? The reason why I ask is because if your car runs under 14 seconds they require you to wear a helmet. I was going to wear a helmet anyway but just for ****************s and giggles I though I would ask you guy's. I'd love to hear about your experience you have have had with your car at the drag strip. Also, does it make any sense to use the PSM ? Do you think it would help me launch the car quicker ? I know from experience back in the 70's with my Kawasaki Ninja 900 motorcycle at the Fremont Drag strip the starting lines are really slick with rubber. I no you guy's are thinking "this guy from California must be smoking some legal maui waui" to ask these questions but like I said, I'm just curious if anyone has done such a bodacious exercise.

Last edited by weith; 11-07-2018 at 08:27 PM.
weith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
Racer Boy

I'm sure you can Google performance specs (including 1/4 mile times) for your year and model of Boxster, that will give you an idea if you'll need to wear a helmet. I'm guessing you won't.

If you don't have any drag strip experience, I doubt if you'll be able to match the car magazine's performance times. Drag racing is a lot harder than you think.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

So, while you're in there, think about doing the IMS and the RMS too. They're really easy when you're replacing a clutch.

Haha. Just having fun. ;-)

The magazines got the '07 to mid-13's (13.3 is the fastest I'm seeing). That's corrected for sea-level, and Sonoma is pretty close to that.
I've never used a PDK, so I dunno. But if you're good with the clutch, and that 1st-to-2nd shift, you'll do two things: 1) have to wear a helmet, 2) have to replace the 2nd gear detent. Haha

And not too many launches til you'll be looking at a clutch.

In your hands.

As you collect the pieces up off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 11-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #4

Fellow LE S owner here saying Hi.

Maytag is correct in that Porsches do not have robust clutches when it comes to drag race launches. They're just not designed for that. There are plenty of threads here and on P-9 where guys have ruined them after 1 night of street "activity". If you're curious what it will do, make 1 run and call it good. I would recommend always leaving PSM on unless you're a serious racer.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I think the next test should be how well a top fuel dragster does at COTA.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I think the next test should be how well a top fuel dragster does at COTA.
Or how PEOPLE do in SPACE! Nobody belongs up there!
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Do it! Sure, its juvenile. Sure, its hard on the car. Sure, its not what a Porsche was made for.

But it sure is fun!

I did a race with a standing start (rather than the more common rolling start). My technique consisted of rev to 4,500rpm, drop the clutch, and peg the throttle on the floor!

Be ready to counter steer a little if the rear end squirms and be ready to shift to second as soon as the rear tires hook up or you'll hit the rev limiter and lose momentum.

Its hard on the clutch, flywheel, and everything else, but its quick! (and a lot of fun).

Here is a video...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is a video...

NICE!!!

haha. I've done plenty of drag-racing in my youth. It no longer holds the appeal it once did, but it was plenty of fun back then.
Like anything else ill-advised that I decide to do anyway: just know there's a cost. And as long as you're willing to pay the price... then nail it! :-)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #9

On the video credits, I noticed the name of the MAIN Sponsor..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
painsuf

Hey guy's, thanks so much for the responses,,it's exactly what I was looking for,I think Maytag man has my sense of humor. Love the pics,,I'm going this Wednesday so if I get time slips or a couple of pics I'll post them for everyone to see. Something just dawned on me,, I've got this timer/stopwatch up on top of the dashboard that I hardly know what to do with,,Can I use it to double check the track ET ?any reason to do that ?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weith View Post
Hey guy's, thanks so much for the responses,,it's exactly what I was looking for,I think Maytag man has my sense of humor. Love the pics,,I'm going this Wednesday so if I get time slips or a couple of pics I'll post them for everyone to see. Something just dawned on me,, I've got this timer/stopwatch up on top of the dashboard that I hardly know what to do with,,Can I use it to double check the track ET ?any reason to do that ?
Is that the sport Chrono accessory that I've heard about? I really don't know anything about it.
But you can count on the time slip provided you being very, very accurate! :-)
there will be a lot of information there, including your reaction time, your 60-foot time, sometimes your eight mile time and then your quarter mile time, plus your trap speed. All of those things can be used to help you figure out where to find more time the next time.
So remember to post them up for us!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
painsuf

tons of fun at the drag strip

Guy's, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you all on my drag strip experience here in smokey CA. I've got lots to share with you all and I'll try to stay on point. I've got a video and a .rtf of all the runs and commentary to follow.

I failed to mention in the first post and before I went to the drag strip that I found on Craig's list an add for a much larger air intake being sold by a local Porsche mechanic. This guy installed it on one of his customer's Cayman. The guy ended up selling the Cayman and wanted to sell the intake as well so I took him up on it. He only changed me $100.00 buck to install it and $500.00 bucks for the unit. It runs and sounds much more throaty but not sure how much HP is may actually add. I'd be interested in hearing other owner's opinion of such a mod. Only downside was the check engine light came on for a day and a half or so but with one reset it went out. Bottom line, Total blast and totally worth it going to the drags. Here the video link https://youtu.be/W9pNldGsRIc