Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
With due respect back, It's a toy, I like playing with it. If I didnt have projects I would be bored.
Its a Boxster with a hardtop and mods. If I wanted a Cayman I would buy one. 😀
Fair enough, and no worries.

Wasn't judging; was merely wondering since most all of your recent mods appear (to me) to come across as Cayman cloning.

Enough said, and carry on.

Thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Fair enough, and no worries.

Wasn't judging; was merely wondering since most all of your recent mods appear (to me) to come across as Cayman cloning.

Enough said, and carry on.

Thanks - DM
No problem 😊
I know. I agree but thats really all that's available and I'm running out of visual mods. Im thinking about wheels but I kinda like the ones I have.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #23
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
No problem 😊
I know. I agree but thats really all that's available and I'm running out of visual mods. Im thinking about wheels but I kinda like the ones I have.
Do not change those wheels. Maybe body colour match them. Would look damn cool
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #24

WRT the vents: man, you have really jumped the shark! Your car, but...

OW very nicely done. Be a shame to spoil it with those vents. If you like it now, move on to interior mods, or engine mods, or add an automatic fire extinguisher, or whatever.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #25

One more . Bad pic but real mesh and scared mesh. I think if I use some quality glossy photo paper it would look better.

I've got something to do today 😀

You'll guys will understand when you retire. 👌

Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #26
MWS

Maybe you should thread "Here's what I've done. I enjoyed doing it. If you don't like it, screw you." That being said, and since you asked...no sir, I don't like it...or more appropriately I should say it's not something I would have done BUT if you like it, then I'll chime in with suggestions. First, I think any 'surface treatments' (paint, decals, etc) will just make it look more 'stuck on'. On a somewhat similar situation, awhile back we wanted to install interior plantation style shutters in our house...we really liked the look but one room just seemed unbalanced (like there should be a window on a wall, but wasn't)...my solution was to trim out the size of a window and install the shutter in the fake opening. The result was good, but still looked "stuck on', so I had a mirror cut to the size of the 'opening' and re-hung the shutter...the result is impressive and the effect is that of a window due to the added depth. I would think you could accomplish the same effect...cut out the bottom holes, install your mesh behind, and behind mesh use a plastic mirror. You could try a 'mock up on the upper holes before you cut out the lowers. Anyway, just my suggestion.

And yes, I get the retirement issue...I find myself hunting for projects (mainly home improvement). Some have been needed, but some have been mentally fabricated...and of those, some have been good ideas and others, well, not as much...well done but superfluous. One last tip, I've found that before I start a new project, I ask myself "is this really needed, or am I just looking for a project?" If the latter, I'll reassess and move on to something else.

As always, best wishes. Enjoy...but if you decide to paint plaid with pink rims and giant curb feelers, maybe you should seek help.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #27

Thanks for the thoughtful input. I dont mind the comments because I ask for them, hell I agree with some of them. Alot of my projects end up in a pile in my garage when I dont care for them but I'm not unhappy that I tried them. If I went by opinions I wouldn't of done any mods because someone always doesn't like something. I'm not as enthusiastic about these as I thought I would be but I may cut out the bottom 2 inserts and put mesh behind them. For now im going to leave them on for awhile. I did this to get an idea about the cutting out the bottoms just to see.

Just a representation:

Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #28

Garage
No not print mesh actual mesh.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
No not print mesh actual mesh.
I'm going to try that but I have to find some new mesh that is flat. The mesh in tge pics is metal and will not lay flush. I need to find something thinner and flatter.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #30

I agree with most folks, not my cup of tea but mod on. The upside to modifications is that they push the envelope and we all benefit from someone’s creativity. The downside is that they always go one step too far. I think you are getting close...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
I agree with most folks, not my cup of tea but mod on. The upside to modifications is that they push the envelope and we all benefit from someone’s creativity. The downside is that they always go one step too far. I think you are getting close...
The good news I keep all the old parts. Can switch it all back in a weekend 😉
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #32

??? 🤔

Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #33

Garage
It’s ok, but I think the mesh behind would look better.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
It’s ok, but I think the mesh behind would look better.
I haven't picked up any mesh yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #35

Can ≠ Should
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #36

Quote:
??? ��

IMHO that’s the best look so far. I’d say it’s a decent 10 footer. At the least I’d add black, flat grill material (real flat grill material, not rain gutter mesh) behind the real vent openings to give them a ‘bottom’ to look similar to the false openings. This tricks the eye into looking ‘at’ the vent, not ‘through’ the vent. Just be sure to get grill material that flows enough air. Automotive Goop is your friend for bonding the grills. It remains flexible, has a reasonable working time and forms a strong bond on properly prepared surfaces.

To take it to the next level (required IMHO but you never know what it’s really gonna look like until you do it and those vents are relatively expensive)

1) carefully cut out the lower two openings, fill, sand and repaint the vent as necessary
2) add the same black grill material behind the new openings. One piece for the lower two openings. It will be close to the surface due to the vent design but it is what it is. In conjunction with step 3 this should work in your favor overall. Real grill material will also give the one (thin) red vane good structural support
3) apply some flat black body wrap to the car in a shape and size that fits completely under the pseudo vent openings. Applying the flat black wrap to the car not only blacks out the pseudo vents, it should also give the pseudo vents some visual sense of depth under their grill.
4) install the vents
5) Only downside is keeping the black body wrap clean without constantly taking the vents off

IIRC, this is basically what Porsche did (in a much more sophisticated fashion) in 2005 when they went to the big vents. If I’m not mistaken the 2005 interior body vent openings are about the same size as the earlier cars.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 11-10-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 AM   #37
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
IMHO that’s the best look so far. I’d say it’s a decent 10 footer. At the least I’d add black, flat grill material (real flat grill material, not rain gutter mesh) behind the real vent openings to give them a ‘bottom’ to look similar to the false openings. This tricks the eye into looking ‘at’ the vent, not ‘through’ the vent. Just be sure to get grill material that flows enough air. Automotive Goop is your friend for bonding the grills. It remains flexible, has a reasonable working time and forms a strong bond on properly prepared surfaces.

To take it to the next level (required IMHO but you never know what it’s really gonna look like until you do it and those vents are relatively expensive)

1) carefully cut out the lower two openings, fill, sand and repaint the vent as necessary
2) add the same black grill material behind the new openings. One piece for the lower two openings. It will be close to the surface due to the vent design but it is what it is. In conjunction with step 3 this should work in your favor overall. Real grill material will also give the one (thin) red vane good structural support
3) apply some flat black body wrap to the car in a shape and size that fits completely under the pseudo vent openings. Applying the flat black wrap to the car not only blacks out the pseudo vents, it should also give the pseudo vents some visual sense of depth under their grill.
4) install the vents
5) Only downside is keeping the black body wrap clean without constantly taking the vents off

IIRC, this is basically what Porsche did (in a much more sophisticated fashion) in 2005 when they went to the big vents. If I’m not mistaken the 2005 interior body vent openings are about the same size as the earlier cars.
I agree with OCG... decent 10 footer. Looks far better without the mesh. Proceed with OCG's recommendations and it'll really shine.

On another note... have you considered side decals? The ones that run on the bottom from wheel-well to wheel-well? That might look nice in black.

Carry on!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:56 AM   #38

Thanks for the input. Anyone out there have a recommendation about where to get some decent looking mesh? Can't find any at local auto parts stores.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2018, 05:10 AM   #39

Outside pic. OCG I think you are on to something if I can cut it without ruining it

Last edited by JBauer; 11-10-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Anyone out there have a recommendation about where to get some decent looking mesh? Can't find any at local auto parts stores.

Thanks
CustomCarGrills dot com has ~30 styles plus mounting/trim accessories. Just google them. Not inexpensive but top of the line products. I’m not affiated with them in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 11-10-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote