Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #1

making seats more comfortable ?

The beast has the OEM Boxster S seats from 2002 , the leather is in good shape on both seats with no tears or cracks . The leather is a little on the stiff side so at the very least they probably need some leather treatment to soften them up . Other than that I find that the seats don't seem that comfortable Regardless of how I adjust them same results , the " pain " is mostly in the seat bottom . I find that if I remove my wallet that helps . The seats also have warmers on both sides .

I am guessing due to the age that the foam in the bottoms are worn out/flattened/compressed . For those of you that have gone to a pro to have seats rebuilt were you happy with the results ? Did you have extra foam added ? I am not huge I weigh 212 pounds at 5 ' 10 " . The OEM seats do not have much of a side bolster which is great for getting in and out but a little more bolster would be good . Any other suggestions on making the seats more comfortable ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:25 AM   #2

I can’t help much but can say that my low mileage 2001 was awful when I bought it but in the three or so years,(7-8 months per year), daily driving they have gotten much better. Seat time for them to form fit or maybe I just got used to them. Either way I don’t mind them at all now.

Edit
5’11” 215lbs and center console delete.

Last edited by WillH; 10-20-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Adding content
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Three suggestions...

....first is easy, and you should do it regardless of other solutions—apply “Leatherique” conditioner and cleaner.

Second, eat right and exercise.

Third, find a local auto upholstery shop. I live in a small town in Louisiana and there is a great one twenty minutes away. In sure there is one near you. They can do wonders playing around with your seat foam and customizing them to your body.

Good luck!
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

I think I will start by applying a leather treatment/softener , it's possible if I get them to soften up they will be more comfortable . And yeah I'm trying to shed some pounds myself
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

I have had to permanently relocate my wallet to my front pocket, otherwise my right leg and butt would go numb on long drives...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I find that if I remove my wallet that helps.
The old wallet trick. So I’m not the only one then?
I do find the seat bolsters really firm and confining and I’ve had to resort to the wallet removal manoeuvre to stem the ache I would get in my ass cheek and down my leg.

I’ve also found I’ve turned really rickety since the bilateral PE in January, although the anticoagulants I have to take permanently now probably contribute to this.

Asides from that, I find the standard comfort seats rather nice for long road trips and would even consider sport seats if I could find a nice enough set in Metropol Blue.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

I had to start the wallet trick awhile back on all my cars!

My issue is I woul like a little tilt, i have to work between leg room and the recline function fairly comfortable but not an exact fit either.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

In addition to taking my wallet out of my right rear pocket I find that adjusting the seat track between all the way back and slightly forward, and changing the seat back angle to offset/compensate is helpful.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Sheepskin seat cover made a difference for me on long trips.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that removes the wallet for better comfort . I appreciate the feedback gentleman .
Old 10-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Woody said something about putting the metal springs from an old set of seats makes them more comfortable. I guess the seats from 2000 and later use plastic springs that wear out or break. I have a set of 2001 seats in my 98, they are nowhere near as comfortable as my 98 seats. But I still have the old seats, so I may take them apart next season and use the metal springs.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

I don’t see how anyone sits in any seat with a wallet in their back pocket. I’ve never done it, never will. Regarding softening the leather... beilive it or not, Rawlings Glovolium Glove treatment works awesome and smells great too. Just rub it in with your hand, let it soak over night (it’s better if it’s a little warm) then wipe and buff. If your seats are really stiff, it will take a few applications over several weeks, but they will soften like new.(ish)
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Woody said something about putting the metal springs from an old set of seats makes them more comfortable. I guess the seats from 2000 and later use plastic springs that wear out or break. I have a set of 2001 seats in my 98, they are nowhere near as comfortable as my 98 seats. But I still have the old seats, so I may take them apart next season and use the metal springs.
Hmmm this may be something to follow , I could be wrong but my butt seems to feel loose or broken springs on occasion . When sitting in the seat the broken spring part is under the " right cheek " or at least it feels like it is . I'll have to pull the seat out and take a look . Thanks for the tip !
Old 10-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #14

Garage
This post really surprises me. I have a new-to-me '99 and just returned from a 300-mile trip each way. I found these seats the most comfortable in any car I've had in the last 40 years. The only rival was an 850 Turbo Volvo wagon from the mid-90s. I don't have to squirm occasionally, nor have anything fall asleep.
Newsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
... find a local auto upholstery shop. In sure there is one near you. They can do wonders playing around with your seat foam and customizing them to your body.
^^ This. ^^

I have had the seats in a couple of cars customized by a local upholstery shop. You can specify exactly what you want and can typically be done in less than a day.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I chose to carry two wallets. All good, now.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
This post really surprises me. I have a new-to-me '99 and just returned from a 300-mile trip each way. I found these seats the most comfortable in any car I've had in the last 40 years. The only rival was an 850 Turbo Volvo wagon from the mid-90s. I don't have to squirm occasionally, nor have anything fall asleep.
I think alot of the comfort depends on individual body. For me I am 6’ 1” but leggy, so a slight tilt would be better. I like the way I fit in a C6 vette, but getting in and out sucks. Lol. I find that in my 2000 if it had 2 inches more back and a tilit I would probably never leave the car.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
The beast has the OEM Boxster S seats from 2002 , the leather is in good shape on both seats with no tears or cracks . The leather is a little on the stiff side so at the very least they probably need some leather treatment to soften them up . Other than that I find that the seats don't seem that comfortable Regardless of how I adjust them same results , the " pain " is mostly in the seat bottom . I find that if I remove my wallet that helps . The seats also have warmers on both sides .

I am guessing due to the age that the foam in the bottoms are worn out/flattened/compressed . For those of you that have gone to a pro to have seats rebuilt were you happy with the results ? Did you have extra foam added ? I am not huge I weigh 212 pounds at 5 ' 10 " . The OEM seats do not have much of a side bolster which is great for getting in and out but a little more bolster would be good . Any other suggestions on making the seats more comfortable ?

You can get foam replaced fairly inexpensively with good results or you can buy the seat bottom and/or seat back forms from a dealer. Not so Inexpensive, but you will have like new seats from a feel perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #19

I had a similar issue, really found drivers seat in my 01S uncomfortable. Discovered the mesh that holds seat bottom in place had split, so that nothing was supporting the cushion. I recommend unbolting the seat to take a look at condition of the seat cushion support. How I fixed it - removed the remaining mesh, left the metal end rods in place, and laced large zip ties through holes across bottom of cushion. Similar to method described in link, but I elected not to use material, I have only zip ties. Now the seat is very comfortable! http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72893-986-seat-bottom-repair-%93band%94.html
Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 AM   #20

I'm betting your seat mesh is broken. Some just the mesh breaks and on some the plastic frame breaks that holds the mesh. Switching to the older style isn't hard as long as your seat material is in good shape. There is a difference in the plastic seat frames. I can't remember what it was right now but I was able to make my 2003 seat cover fit on a 97-99 frame with no problem.

I wish I could sell you one but I have a guy that drives 1000 miles from Mexico City and buys all my crappy seats. It's kind of funny. He gets taxed on seats if they're not attached to the vehicle. So he bolts them down to the inside of his van when he heads back