Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

So I drove an M5 today

What a car! If I would have driven this M5 prior to my Boxster I would have bought it instead. I never gave this car a second look until I drove it. This was an 01 by the way. My friend, as some of you may recall owns a high end and exotic lot. Anyway, I stopped by to show him my supercharged Boxster since I bought it from him. He tells me to take the M5 for a drive. You would have to beat the smile off my face. On a side note, he was so impressed with my work on the box he wants me to install a supercharger on his cigarette boat. He was telling me about one of his customers cars thats at TPC performance right now getting a SC kit and intercooler installed. 17k is the bill to date! It will be on his lot Tuesday I will snap some shots of it and post them up. Its the all wheel drive Porsche Im thinking he said C4 maybe is that right? I guess they are having trouble getting the computer right. Anyway for those of you that are not familiar with the lot check out thomasclassics.com (Disclamer) This is not advertising I just thought you would like to see his inventory.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #2

The M cars are the real deal. Many think the 5 is the best M.

Good stuff!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #3

M cars

Yes the M5 you drove is the E39 version. It has 394hp and is a very nice machine. They can be had for reasonable money now they have aged a bit. The new version of the M5 is recently out, and it is just increadible. F-1 based V-10 with 500hp. And a 100 grand as well! If I had 100 grand to spend on a car, the new M5 would be it no doubt.

BMW's are very good cars, I have 2 of em, and I had a E39 fiver that I still regret I sold by my wife wanted an X5.
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #4

Hi,

To me, BMWs are very functional cars. But IMHO, they are truly teutonic, they are coldly efficient and lack any personality or soul.

I owned a '72 2002 Tii and a '76 320i. I couldn't fault either one, but they just didn't induce the sort of visceral response I want, and have come to expect, from a true sports car.

I drove an '02 M5 and an '04 M3 (both through an Auto-X) and the feeling persisted. These had BMW's version of PSM and I found it lacking any excitement. No faults, just no excitement. Many will disagree, but that's been my experience...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-09-2006 at 09:33 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #5

I drove a 2007 335i coupe this week. That's an impressive car. The 328 wasn't all that special, but the 335 is fast, tight and has power all through the range.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #6

I hear you

yes one thing I immediately noticed as a difference between my Box and my 3 series is the Porsche is definitely more viseral feeling. You feel the road better, and it feels "rawer" (if that is a word) that the bimmers. But I don't look at a BMW as a real sports car either. It has 4 seats and real trunk, etc. Overall I think my BMW's feel rock soild and I love them. They have proven to be great cars, and in my 7th year of owning my E36 ( currently at 167k miles!!), it has given me very few problems and was totally worth the money I paid. I can't imagine getting rid of it for my daily driver. But a sports car, no it isn't.
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I drove a 2006 M5 back in May of this year. Wow its one hell of a beast. Its just raw power, if you don't know how to control it, its gone. The SMG on that car is pretty cool and shifts suppper fast, I had the car spinning its wheels through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, it was awesome and the owner didn't even care.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #8

Smile

"But a sports car, no it isn't."

BMWs (save the two two seaters they made) are considered "sports-luxury sedans and coupes).

As such, except for the Z8 and Z4, are not comparable to the Porsches, nor do they try to be.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #9

Just this weekend I had the pleasure to ride in the new M5. UNREAL. I need to post the video I got of it.

If it weren't for the other cars on the highway, it'd be easy shatter the triple digit mark in the speed department without feeling like you're driving like a maniac.

I've driven an E39. That's ridiculously great as well.

All the Bimmers I've driven/ridden in have had the Passion Package. It's supposed to increase excitement by 60% or something, but I'll have to double-check the numbers on that.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #10

I guess I'm the lone dissenter...

While I've only driven the E39 M5, I didn't really like it that much. Don't get me wrong, it's the ultimate E39 5-series but it still feels like a 4000lb sedan -- with a nice engine and suspension setup. The new BMWs are very fast but not nearly as fun as the old ones. I have driven an E28 M5 and that car was much slower but a true driver's sedan and not a one-trick pony.

The new BMWs have too much electronic BS. Even on the E39 5-series ergonomics are a complete disaster and things that should be simple like changing a radio station aren't. On the E60 things are even worse: who actually needs or wants 3 DSC modes, 6+ SMG modes, or 3 damper settings? The Ferrari steering wheel mounted single selector is far more elegant. They've taken a true sports sedan and turned into a high-powered rolling Sharper Image store. Gizmos are fun toys, but I want a sports car -- a precision tool, not some bloated gadget-ladden two-ton bohemith. I want the minimum needed to get by, not the maximum I can tolerate.

Maybe when I'm in my 50s I'll change my mind.

Stephen
stephenmeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #11

Smile

Personally, I hate IDRVE and all the related gadgets that make driving the car a chore.

One reason I bought an E46 is that it is likely the last "simple" BMW they will make.

I still admire the brand.

To each his own!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Personally, I hate IDRVE and all the related gadgets that make driving the car a chore.

One reason I bought an E46 is that it is likely the last "simple" BMW they will make.

I still admire the brand.

To each his own!
Yeah...using your toy shouldn't be a chore. I agree on the E46s being it as far the simple BMWs go. The only thing that bugs me is weight. E46 M3 coupe weighs nearly 3500lbs -- for a sub-compact vehicle that allegedly uses a lot of aluminum. My friend's got one in his shop right now and I asked him if he knew why they weighed so much. He pulls me over and shows me the plastic cover from cabin HEPA filter -- I swear that piece of plastic weighs 10lbs.

My family has owned many BMWs (mine: E30 325is, parents: E21 320i, E23 L7, E32 735i, E36/7 Z3 2.8) and I really want to like the new ones -- I do -- but I just can't see my money going there anytime soon -- maybe the MZ4, but I'd rather have a Boxster or Cayman.

While I may be biased because I own a WRX, I think the new Subaru Legacy Spec. B is very much in the spirit of older BMWs. It's relatively light, great handling, money is spent more on innerds, and it has simplicity where form seems to follow function. And depiste having all wheel drive and a turbo motor, it still manages to weigh much less than the smaller E46 M3. Oh yeah, and it only costs $35,000 including navi.

Stephen
stephenmeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #13

The E30 is the bomb. I am looking around for a 90/91 325IS to restore.

Just the right size. With a later motor, these things should move about nicely.