Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Free Coils

Just replaced my plugs and coils (98 Boxster). It's been a year and ~7,000 miles (at 21,550 today), and I didn't know when last they were replaced. Took me ~2.5 hours, first time, exercising pragmatism and diligence. I believed the entire process to be a breeze... thanks to watching many vids. That said...

Upon inspection, the plugs looked great... the electrode tips anyhow. There was some discoloration around the ceramic. Zero oil. The tubes looked great, so I left them in.

The coils, based upon a careful examination... and myself schooled from watching a lot of coil replacement vids coupled with a fair amount of reading... look great. No cracks anywhere. A fair amount of gunk/oil on them... but I bet wih a good cleaning they'd shine up just nice. I was throwing no codes... but decided to get some of the spring preparation started (SoCal) and, while I was replacing the plugs reasoned... while I'm in there. That said...

I've six (6) coils in the event someone needs one... two... all of them... the part number is:

BERU 996 602 102 00

Each coil comes with the two allen wrench bolts, and in the box in which the new one came.

If anyone needs one... howevermany... save the ~$15+ each for a used coil (eBay). PM me your zip... how many you need... and I'll calcuguesstimate postage. First come. First served.

Now... I know you're saying to yourself, "This cat is generous. First he's gifting free wellnuts, and now free coils. I think I'll send him my black (or red) 3-spoke airbag that's just laying around. I know if I send him that gift, Karma will reward me a hundred-fold".

If that's what you're saying to yourself, you'd be correct. Why, by virtue of gifting the wellnuts I've seen my state of health improve ten-fold. Surely my gifting the coils will reward me with a renewed sense of sexual vitality, at least a five or six-fold improvement. So, surely you can recognize the rewards associated with the gift of an airbag.

Cheers!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

Please let us know how the increased "sexual vitality" works out for ya
mikeinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmass View Post
Please let us know how the increased "sexual vitality" works out for ya
Wife returns home from work around 7. I'll keep you posted...
Old 09-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Garage
I would be happy to take two! Having a spare or two for track day would be great!
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Wife returns home from work around 7. I'll keep you posted...
I believe I'm going to start replacing coils every week.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

I would love 2 of them for spares, if you have any left.
Thank you.
90717 Zip
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

Garage
I’d like two if you still some some.

Thanks
Joe
Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

All coils have been acounted for. Sorry.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #9

Lifespan for coil packs..?

I believe that the coils get externally damaged by extreme humidity (arcing..?) and internally by extreme heat, and not by mileage. Please note that I am not expert on this issue and I am saying this based on my own personal experience (results may vary..)

But I owned my '07 CS for a bit more than 10 years and 105k miles on the clock, and the OEM coils looked and performed just fine, perhaps the dry and not extreme weather in SoCal help it somehow.

I also own an '88 Alfa Romeo Milano with 175k miles on the clock and still have the original coil.. on the other hand we replaced the 5 coil packs on my son S60 Volvo with about 180k on the clock

Perhaps someone can provide more technical information regarding the life of the coil packs
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I believe that the coils get externally damaged by extreme humidity (arcing..?) and internally by extreme heat, and not by mileage. Please note that I am not expert on this issue and I am saying this based on my own personal experience (results may vary..)

But I owned my '07 CS for a bit more than 10 years and 105k miles on the clock, and the OEM coils looked and performed just fine, perhaps the dry and not extreme weather in SoCal help it somehow.

I also own an '88 Alfa Romeo Milano with 175k miles on the clock and still have the original coil.. on the other hand we replaced the 5 coil packs on my son S60 Volvo with about 180k on the clock

Perhaps someone can provide more technical information regarding the life of the coil packs
No technical info from me... however, when I removed the 6 coils... all looked fantastic absent some oil grime buildup. I was throwing zero codes, and likely could have waited to install my new ones when codes eventually came popping up. After cleaning them up, they looked perfect. However, I've a bunch of parts waiting to be installed (cooler weather is arriving, I have no garage), and the new ones looked so clean and shiny, practically begging to be installed on top of the new plugs. I succumbed.