Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #1

Help Me Decide

Looking at 2 options--

First is an '05 987 (base) with 4,000 miles. Seal gray on black. Major options are Xenons, Nav., Bose. Car would be CPO.
Dealer has offered it to me for $39,900. (Is this a good price?). Price seems reasonable, but I really don't care much for the options. This will be a third car for pure driving pleasure, so very lightly optioned would work for me. For this car, I would have the center console custom painted to match the exterior paint. this will add about $700 to the cost of the car.

Second option is 2007 987 (base) which would be built to order (Atlas or Meteor on Black with metropol top). Car would be lightly optioned-- with only painted rear center console, painted to match roll bars, Cayman S '18 wheels, heated seats and colored center crests. I believe the dealer will agree to around $44, 500.

Questions: What do you guys think of the pricing? Obviously, it would be nice to save the $5000 difference in price. But, I really like the idea of spec-ing the car myself, especially the exterior color and the painted to match parts, to make it look exactly the way I want. I really enjoyed doing that with my current P Car (a CayenneS). It is also nice to have a brand new car and to break it in myself.

On the other hand, if $39K is really a steal for an '05 987 with 4K miles, perhaps I should not pass it up.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Last edited by todd1ada; 09-05-2006 at 01:00 PM.
todd1ada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #2

A two years newer car for $5,000? That sounds like the better deal to me.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
bmussatti

todd, what is the MRSP for the 2007?

At first glace, I'd take the 2007. It's 2 years newer with no miles, and you do the break-in period.

I'd need to know the MSRP to say if you're getting a good deal on the 2007.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
todd, what is the MRSP for the 2007?

At first glace, I'd take the 2007. It's 2 years newer with no miles, and you do the break-in period.

I'd need to know the MSRP to say if you're getting a good deal on the 2007.

On the '07, the base 987 is $45,600, and the MSRP with the options I want is about $50,065. Dealer invoice, with options, is $42,268. I am lead to believe the dealer will sell it to me for $5,500 of the MSRP.

The original MSRP on the '05 was several thousand higher than the '07 I have spec'd because of the PCM2.1, Nav., Xenons etc.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #5

The '07 for about 5500 off sounds ilke a very good deal to me, at this time of the model year.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #6

It is hard to say...
I love the Xenon lamps.. definately good for resale and super cool to have.
Nav I could take or leave...
Heated seats are worth their weight in gold if you live in a cooler climate.
18" wheels are nice as well. Color is purely up to you. I like black and seal gray.
Performance?? Does the 07 have any more horsepower than the 05?
There is nothing wrong with buying a 4000 mile CPO Porsche IMO. If you can order the 07 with all the items you want to make it truely yours, then do that!
If not, the 05 is a great car!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #7

[QUOTE=dbth
Get the car exactly the way you want, brand new.

Some , including me, have surmised that manufacturer has corrected some design flaws in the first production year (MY 05) of 987.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with a couple points here, get the 07, its your and always yours....you have the joy of knowing anything that may go wrong went wrong under your watch, you won't feel that something went wrong doe to the prior owner's negligence. Amd if you don't care for those options, then def get it new and exactly how you want it.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1ada
Looking at 2 options--

First is an '05 987 (base) with 4,000 miles. Seal gray on black. Major options are Xenons, Nav., Bose. Car would be CPO.
Dealer has offered it to me for $39,900. (Is this a good price?). Price seems reasonable, but I really don't care much for the options. This will be a third car for pure driving pleasure, so very lightly optioned would work for me. For this car, I would have the center console custom painted to match the exterior paint. this will add about $700 to the cost of the car.

Second option is 2007 987 (base) which would be built to order (Atlas or Meteor on Black with metropol top). Car would be lightly optioned-- with only painted rear center console, painted to match roll bars, Cayman S '18 wheels, heated seats and colored center crests. I believe the dealer will agree to around $44, 500.

Questions: What do you guys think of the pricing? Obviously, it would be nice to save the $5000 difference in price. But, I really like the idea of spec-ing the car myself, especially the exterior color and the painted to match parts, to make it look exactly the way I want. I really enjoyed doing that with my current P Car (a CayenneS). It is also nice to have a brand new car and to break it in myself.

On the other hand, if $39K is really a steal for an '05 987 with 4K miles, perhaps I should not pass it up.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.
_

With the price options you presented I'd go with the new.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #9

Garage
Given the relative close pricing..

I say go with option 2. You get to pick your colors and options, get the improved (slightly) motor.

Also, as others have said, you get to break the car in. Given the importance that Porsche has put on the break in period (2K miles) it is a significant consideration. One other recommendation I'd suggest to the option list, the sport steering wheel for $250. IMHO, it feels better than stock and looks great.

Just out of curiousity, what is the warranty on the '05' being a CPO?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Just out of curiousity, what is the warranty on the '05' being a CPO?
Adds 2 years to the factory warranty, or 100K miles, which ever comes first.

Thanks all for the thoughts...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
KronixSpeed

buy the 07. the 05 was the first year in that model expect some issues. the 07 is the smart way to go.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
mpl

I had a similar decision to make earlier this week so I am well versed in the current pricing/discounts(in Ma. anyways).

39,900 for the 05 is a good price. $5500 in discounts for an 07 is a stellar price!

I opted for a leftover 06 that had all the options I wanted except 18" wheels and did not receive the % discount that you will get on the 07.

Although my 05 had very low miles and was well cared for I liked the idea of buying new and breaking the car in myself. The difference in price was $4k. For me it was money well spent.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #13

I think the 05 with that option package is a much better deal, especially considering the low mileage. I took mine to 21K in a little over a year, with no issues, nor have I read of any issues specific to that model year. I'd be curious what dbth is referring to.

From what I can deduce from your posts it also sounds like the effective warranty is better on the 05 in that you'll be covered for more miles. But I'm someone who drives quite a bit, and generally hits the mileage cap before the years.

IMO the custom-specced Box only makes sense if you're looking for:

A. Alot of options, particularly uncommon ones or options that are difficult
to add-on later
B. Unusual color combinations and/or colored bits
C. Looking to pick/choose from Preferred Package and PPP.

None of which you’re doing. Specific to your proposed setup, my experience was that the black top wears better than the metropol and arguably looks better with your grey/black. I also think it would be a mistake to not get the wind deflector, if you plan on ever lowering the top.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
IMO the custom-specced Box only makes sense if you're looking for:

A. Alot of options, particularly uncommon ones or options that are difficult
to add-on later
Or if you want one that's extremely lightly optioned..
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #15
bmussatti

Order the car the way you really want it. No compromises. Buyers remorse is an awful experience for such a special and $$$ car.