Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

help. Opinions on clamshell gap

Got my top put back in. repaired the push rods with new ends, got it adjusted and it works fine but this clamshell fit is really annoying. For some reason the clamshell seems to be hitting the top on the drivers side keeping it from closing all the way. I don't think I could of put the top in wrong because it has 6 bolts that go into non adjustable holes. So I don't think that's possible. I did retape the back of the top with 3M tape. Maybe I got it too tight on that side but it doesn't look like it. The top seems to be too far back on that side. The edge is not sliding over the rubber bumper on that side as it is on pass side. It fit perfect before. Here's some pics. Maybe someone has came across this before.

The gap:

Passenger side edge:

Drivers side:

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
MWS

Don't know if you had this issue resolved, but here is a relevant thread...

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72523-top-repair.html
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

You may need to loosen the 3 main bolts on each side that attach to car and wiggle rearward and retighten. May need a third hand to reposition while you retighten. Had same issue when installing 03 top to 02 car. Also your tension cable with the ball/socket ends can be adjusted down to get rear edge of softtop down.

Last edited by Lapister; 06-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote