Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Burning rubber smell after spirited driving

Hey folks, so last couple of days im getting a rubber burning smell from the back of the car. At first i though it was the disks and/or tires but apparently its not. EDIT: This seems to happen when exchaust is hot, no matter the driving (spirited or not). Its weird, and today i stick my head right on top of the exhaust (not a pleasant thing to do ) and it seems that *maybe* its coming from the inside of the exhaust. Sometimes the smell is more noticeable on the rear right side though, so i cant be sure.
What kind of sorcery is that !?

PS: No oil leaks or coolant or whatsoever.

Thanks as always

Last edited by Lacostas; 06-10-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Racer Boy

I'd pull the front engine cover and investigate there. Possibly a bad belt tensioner, allowing the belt to slip enough that you are getting the burning rubber smell. It could also be an old belt that has stretched enough that it's slipping.

Also look underneath the car, maybe you picked up some road debris that is stuck on the exhaust and is burning away.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I'd pull the front engine cover and investigate there. Possibly a bad belt tensioner, allowing the belt to slip enough that you are getting the burning rubber smell. It could also be an old belt that has stretched enough that it's slipping.

Also look underneath the car, maybe you picked up some road debris that is stuck on the exhaust and is burning away.

Thanks, ill have the car jacked up and check for any derbis. When i bought the car 8 months ago, PPI said that the Water pump was new, this means that the belt should also have been changed i guess?

thanks
Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

everyone gets that. no biggie. belts are fine. spirited driving - bits of tire get on exhaust and make a little stink. normal.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Check for grease from the rubber boots on the axles burning on the heat shield of the exhaust. That happens on one of my cars, not from a cracked boot, but a little bit getting thrown out around the seal. A little grease on the exhaust can make a lot of stink.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

i'd agree with that as well. cv's get hot and will weep a bit of grease. again, not really anything to worry about, unless a boot is cracked. you could try higher temp grease, or go to aftermarket boot clamps, but you're getting into a long, dirty job to address a minor issue. do you still have the plastic flaps on the tray under the transmission - they are there to push air onto the inncer cv's.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #7

Hmm, thanks guys. I tried to look down the exhaust but didnt find anything (i doubt if it would be that obvious). Im thinking to remove engine cover (under the softtop) and try to determine where the smell is coming from!? What do you think ?