Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5
Question Boxster AC and heat donít work but air still blows out

I have a 97 Boxster and the AC and heat donít really work. Air blows out but when I try to change the temperature of the air, it is barely affected to the point itís unnoticeable unless I put my hand to the vent. Even then, thereís only a slight difference between the lowest and highest temperature. I put new coolant but that didnít change anything for the AC. Checked the fuses and they were good. I do have foam in the vents but from what I read, that only affects heat and not AC. I couldnít find anything on both AC and heat not working so sorry if this was already posted.

Caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Patriot
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood
Posts: 6,139
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeg View Post
I do have foam in the vents but from what I read, that only affects heat and not AC. I couldn’t find anything on both AC and heat not working so sorry if this was already posted.
Where did you read that nonsense?

Yes, it affects both and that is likely your issue.
Look through your center vent with a flash light and you'll see the heater core flap. Cycle from cold to hot and watch it to ensure that it has a full range of movement. If it does, fix your missing flap foam.

http://986forum.com/forums/515251-post38.html

.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-28-2018 at 11:02 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Where did you read that nonsense?

Yes, it affects both and that is likely your issue.
Look through your center vent with a flash light and you'll see the heater core flap. Cycle from cold to hot and watch it to ensure that it has a full range of movement. If it does, fix your missing flap foam.

http://986forum.com/forums/515251-post38.html

.
If thatís the issue thatís good to know. I looked through the vent and I donít see any movement from the flap. Iím guessing thatís a separate issue Iím going to have to resolve?
Caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
Patriot
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood
Posts: 6,139
Garage
If you're sure the larger rear flap isn't moving, check that the actuator arm hasn't detached (under the dash, just right of dead center).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If you're sure the larger rear flap isn't moving, check that the actuator arm hasn't detached (under the dash, just right of dead center).
Opened it up and it looks like only the right flap is moving? Not sure if both are supposed to be mobile or just one.
Caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Patriot
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood
Posts: 6,139
Garage
The flap on the right adjusts between heat and cool. The flap on the left is the front vent diverter, IIRC. The left flap should move when switching between center vents, defrost and/or footwell vents.

Both should be covered (you shouldn't be able to see those holes in the flaps). From the factory, they were covered with foam. A lot of us that did the repair went with duct tape (works great).

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If you're sure the larger rear flap isn't moving, check that the actuator arm hasn't detached (under the dash, just right of dead center).
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The flap on the right adjusts between heat and cool. The flap on the left is the front vent diverter, IIRC. The left flap should move when switching between center vents, defrost and/or footwell vents.

Both should be covered (you shouldn't be able to see those holes in the flaps). From the factory, they were covered with foam. A lot of us that did the repair went with duct tape (works great).

Awesome. Thank you for the quick reply too.
Caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Patriot
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood
Posts: 6,139
Garage
Happy to help

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat heater ac


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page