Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Question Boxster AC and heat don’t work but air still blows out

I have a 97 Boxster and the AC and heat don’t really work. Air blows out but when I try to change the temperature of the air, it is barely affected to the point it’s unnoticeable unless I put my hand to the vent. Even then, there’s only a slight difference between the lowest and highest temperature. I put new coolant but that didn’t change anything for the AC. Checked the fuses and they were good. I do have foam in the vents but from what I read, that only affects heat and not AC. I couldn’t find anything on both AC and heat not working so sorry if this was already posted.

Caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeg View Post
I do have foam in the vents but from what I read, that only affects heat and not AC. I couldn’t find anything on both AC and heat not working so sorry if this was already posted.
Where did you read that nonsense?

Yes, it affects both and that is likely your issue.
Look through your center vent with a flash light and you'll see the heater core flap. Cycle from cold to hot and watch it to ensure that it has a full range of movement. If it does, fix your missing flap foam.

http://986forum.com/forums/515251-post38.html

Last edited by particlewave; 05-28-2018 at 11:02 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Where did you read that nonsense?

Yes, it affects both and that is likely your issue.
Look through your center vent with a flash light and you'll see the heater core flap. Cycle from cold to hot and watch it to ensure that it has a full range of movement. If it does, fix your missing flap foam.

If that’s the issue that’s good to know. I looked through the vent and I don’t see any movement from the flap. I’m guessing that’s a separate issue I’m going to have to resolve?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If you're sure the larger rear flap isn't moving, check that the actuator arm hasn't detached (under the dash, just right of dead center).
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
If you're sure the larger rear flap isn't moving, check that the actuator arm hasn't detached (under the dash, just right of dead center).
Opened it up and it looks like only the right flap is moving? Not sure if both are supposed to be mobile or just one.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The flap on the right adjusts between heat and cool. The flap on the left is the front vent diverter, IIRC. The left flap should move when switching between center vents, defrost and/or footwell vents.

Both should be covered (you shouldn't be able to see those holes in the flaps). From the factory, they were covered with foam. A lot of us that did the repair went with duct tape (works great).

Old 07-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
The flap on the right adjusts between heat and cool. The flap on the left is the front vent diverter, IIRC. The left flap should move when switching between center vents, defrost and/or footwell vents.

Both should be covered (you shouldn't be able to see those holes in the flaps). From the factory, they were covered with foam. A lot of us that did the repair went with duct tape (works great).

Awesome. Thank you for the quick reply too.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Happy to help
Old 06-17-2023, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:

Hi guys
where are those flaps located please

My 2000boxster only blows hot air, suddenly
986Sfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:04 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Sfr View Post
Hi guys
where are those flaps located please

My 2000boxster only blows hot air, suddenly