Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
Porschephile

Hardwiring V1 - OEM cellular phone connection not there?

Wanted to hardwire my valentine 1 today. This is my 3rd 986 and the prior two have both had the unused pre wired mobile phone wiring/plug begins the center console. Easiest place to tap into for switched power. My current 986 doesn't have one. Was this pre wiring an option? Is there an easier/additional place to tap into switched power? Prefer not to do it behind the radio. I already have a rats nest back there due to adding the bluetooth module and would rather not have multiple taps on the same site.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It was not an option it should be there. I think the phone connector wires original near the airbag module under the center console. If you can't find it, you could consider tapping into the 12V for the cigarette lighter but it would not be switched, or just go straight to the fuse panel.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Porschephile

I've heard the fuse panel isn't the best option. Not the right voltage or something. I'm no electrician and not my specialty. And no place to ground? Anyone have a clean hardwire to the fuse panel on here? That plug is just not there and not sure were it went.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #4

Fuse panel is fine... either use a .25 spade connector on the hot side of an empty switched fuse locations (there are a couple depending on your options) or get an 'add-a-circuit' (also can find in local parts stores (like auto zone).

However, for an even simpler install why not use V1's SAVVY connector which plugs into the OBDII port? It also has a dial to set the speed at which the V1 will chirp once and then go to mute (perfect for shopping centers, construction zones, etc.). I ended up putting a SAVVY in each car they're so convenient... (like I had done w/ the original hard-wire adapter) and then run a cord from SAVVY behind trim to top of windshield. When switching between cars I only need to quickly unplug detector at windshield from one and plug it in on other and I'm rolling again in no time.

Savvy | Valentine One | Radar Detectors

Good luck