Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

SIR B90 Wheel bearing tool

I'm planning on purchasing a SIR B90 wheel bearing tool from Pelican soon to replace my rear wheel bearings. It costs $400 when I'm finished is there any interest in anybody purchasing it when done for probably $300? It will be available in the next 30 days or less.

azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #2

Let me throw an alternative, look at the OTC grappler, I think it can pull the hub and bearing without having to remove the parking brake shoes, that plus the harbor freight front wheel bearing kit (instead of the grappler kit) should come in closer to $200. Removing this parking brake shoes is very fiddly. If I ever have to another bearing I'm going to try that route.

This : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PL1PDA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523762908&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=otc+grappler&dpPl=1&dpID=41PeX9N7KeL&ref=plSrch

Plus this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FLVOAZI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523762908&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=otc+grappler&dpPl=1&dpID=51Q4K0iCgsL&ref=plSrch

Or this: https://m.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63260.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com %2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dharbor%2Bfreight%2Bfront%2Bwheel%2 Bkit%26FORM%3DEDGENN

However, you know the SIR tool is a proven quantity, maybe you can get a loaner?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

Harbor Freight

I did mine with a Harror Freight one and the large bearing separator....I don't see how it would be possible to not take the parking brake off....freeze the new bearings before installation....and use a good bearing...staway from eBay China bearings......use Timken or Fagg
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I did mine with a Harror Freight one and the large bearing separator....I don't see how it would be possible to not take the parking brake off....freeze the new bearings before installation....and use a good bearing...staway from eBay China bearings......use Timken or Fagg
Be careful with FAG bearing. I found one with OD slightly out of spec, press-fit was so loose that I could pull it out easily without damaging it. Bought a few more to check and it was 10-20 micron smaller... I installed another and it is working just fine for 10K miles now, and I spare 2 new ones for front-end job in future.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Let me throw an alternative, look at the OTC grappler, I think it can pull the hub and bearing without having to remove the parking brake shoes, that plus the harbor freight front wheel bearing kit (instead of the grappler kit) should come in closer to $200. Removing this parking brake shoes is very fiddly. If I ever have to another bearing I'm going to try that route.

This : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PL1PDA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523762908&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=otc+grappler&dpPl=1&dpID=41PeX9N7KeL&ref=plSrch

Plus this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FLVOAZI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523762908&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=otc+grappler&dpPl=1&dpID=51Q4K0iCgsL&ref=plSrch

Or this: https://m.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63260.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com %2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dharbor%2Bfreight%2Bfront%2Bwheel%2 Bkit%26FORM%3DEDGENN

However, you know the SIR tool is a proven quantity, maybe you can get a loaner?
That OTC puller looks interesting, it may work without removing brake shoes which would be great! Anybody with any experience?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 AM   #6

Garage
I used the HF tool was about $100. worked well. I was replacing everything in the suspension so while I had it apart I replaced the rear ebrake shoes. Compared to the cost of everything else the ebrake shoes were cheap and easy.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 AM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:

Great info, thanks. Likely will be doing replacements on the 911 this year.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Before you spend your money, you guys should really check out the wheel bearing tool from Casper Labs, out of Jupiter Florida. Google it.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Before you spend your money, you guys should really check out the wheel bearing tool from Casper Labs, out of Jupiter Florida. Google it.
The same guy who created the "better" IMS bearing retrofit......................
Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
They appear to have pivoted to mattresses.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #11

I don’t find any contact info
Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

I think the trick is pulling the hub, if you want to try and pull it off by threading 3 bolts so it pushes it off, or if you use a slide hammer, then you can just use the $68 dollar kit I linked above to pull the old bearing, and press in the new bearing and the hub. For me the hardest part was pulling off the inner race, which stayed on the hub when the hub was pulled. I took them to my local mechanic and he pulled that off for me. The large bearing separator from Harbor freight, I think linked above, might do it.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
I think the trick is pulling the hub, if you want to try and pull it off by threading 3 bolts so it pushes it off, or if you use a slide hammer, then you can just use the $68 dollar kit I linked above to pull the old bearing, and press in the new bearing and the hub. For me the hardest part was pulling off the inner race, which stayed on the hub when the hub was pulled. I took them to my local mechanic and he pulled that off for me. The large bearing separator from Harbor freight, I think linked above, might do it.
On the rears, I just pulled the hubs and pressed old bearings out and new ones in. It's not that terrible.

Last summer I got around to doing front bearings....even easier to pull the hubs! I ended up taking the hubs and bearings to a local indy for pressing as i was too lazy to do it myself.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 AM   #14

Yall do what you want to, I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't know anything about their IMS product, and I don't care to pontificate over the internet about products with which I am unfamiliar. But the Casper wheel bearing tool is a nice piece of kit that has certain advantages, especially for the DIY crowd. Namely not removing the axle, disassembling the suspension, or needing a shop press for a wheel bearing replacement.
As I recall, the ?owner / developer is an aerospace engineer who is enamored of his 986 and turned his attention to making a better mousetrap for it. But he plays his hand close, I think I recall that he told me (a few yrs ago) he hadn't yet patented it and might never b/c of the hassle and small potential sales volume, but didn't want someone else to poach his idea for profit, either. At the time I spoke with him, he seemed to regard anything related to Porsches as more of a self-supporting hobby or labor of interest. It seems to be a relatively small shop that mostly does FAA approved aircraft solutions. So call the guy and decide for yourself. The number used to be 561-575-3157, is probably still the same but it was in 2015 when I called so...BOL.
PS: you can't have mine😛
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Yall do what you want to, I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't know anything about their IMS product, and I don't care to pontificate over the internet about products with which I am unfamiliar. But the Casper wheel bearing tool is a nice piece of kit that has certain advantages, especially for the DIY crowd. Namely not removing the axle, disassembling the suspension, or needing a shop press for a wheel bearing replacement.
As I recall, the ?owner / developer is an aerospace engineer who is enamored of his 986 and turned his attention to making a better mousetrap for it. But he plays his hand close, I think I recall that he told me (a few yrs ago) he hadn't yet patented it and might never b/c of the hassle and small potential sales volume, but didn't want someone else to poach his idea for profit, either. At the time I spoke with him, he seemed to regard anything related to Porsches as more of a self-supporting hobby or labor of interest. It seems to be a relatively small shop that mostly does FAA approved aircraft solutions. So call the guy and decide for yourself. The number used to be 561-575-3157, is probably still the same but it was in 2015 when I called so...BOL.
PS: you can't have mine😛
Do you have a picture of yours?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #16

Sorry but a) I don't have any pics, and b) the guy who developed it specifically asked for the favor of not posting pics of the tool or photos of his diagrams that come with it. He asked nicely and I agreed. Another early purchaser posted some limited photos (with the developer's blessing) on one of the forums a few yrs ago - I think it was this one, so you might find them with a search.
Or you could contact the guy and he would probably send whatever he feels comfortable with.