Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #1

Boxster 987 needs front control module - programming options?

Hi all,

My wife's 2006 987 is in need of a new front end control module. Accessing and replacing with a replacement appears pretty straight forward. The part number is 997.610.105.05 and is easily accessible in the frunk.

The problem is that this appears to need programming - and I do not have access to such a tool, nor does my regular mechanic whom I rely on for more involved repairs.

Are there other options available aside from bringing the car to a dealer for a new part and programming (I was hoping to try and find a replacement online, so even with that don't know if there is a possibility to just bring to a dealer to get programmed after I replace it).

Anyone have any experience with such a repair ? (I'm not even sure if my 2004 986 S has the same type of thing or not).

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
Hi all,

My wife's 2006 987 is in need of a new front end control module. Accessing and replacing with a replacement appears pretty straight forward. The part number is 997.610.105.05 and is easily accessible in the frunk.

The problem is that this appears to need programming - and I do not have access to such a tool, nor does my regular mechanic whom I rely on for more involved repairs.

Are there other options available aside from bringing the car to a dealer for a new part and programming (I was hoping to try and find a replacement online, so even with that don't know if there is a possibility to just bring to a dealer to get programmed after I replace it).

Anyone have any experience with such a repair ? (I'm not even sure if my 2004 986 S has the same type of thing or not).
You need a PIWIS unit to do this, and I would be willing to bet that a dealer would "adjust" their diagnostic time charge to offset the component revenue if you attempted to do that.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-12-2018 at 07:24 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Wanted to update as I was able to find the part (used). The part has an updated version, it is part 997-618-512-01.

According to the dealer this newer part is more reliable.

I was able to install the part by swapping it out (I disconnected the battery, unplugged the old one, plugged in the new one, and hooked up the battery).

When I connected the battery, the alarm went off but I was easily able to shut it off with the key fob.

Car started up fine and the previous error was gone, I did get 2 new ones about the left front blinker bulb and the right front blinker bulb (which I assumed was due to the module needing to be coded). Blinkers and lights worked just fine.

Was very easy. I just got back from the dealership (about an hour away) and they charged me $155 to re-program the module (another dealer wanted $385, ridiculous).

Worked like a charm - the blinker warnings were gone and everything works great!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

What were the symptoms of the failed part? And what does it do? Is this the bi-xenon leveler?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 04-20-2018 at 05:38 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #5

We got a "System fault, visit workshop" message on the dashboard. It would go out when I put the blinker on, then come back on when the blinker turned off. Turning head lights on / high beams would do same kinda thing. Car ran fine.

Did some Google searches and found others with same symptoms had a bad front end control module. It's on the passenger side of the frunk, behind a black protective box.

Problem is you can replace it yourself, but the dealer needs to program the VIN into the part so it's synched up. This car has the HID headlights, and cars without have a different part.

Swapped it it for the replacement, the bad blinker warning came on but the system fault message was gone.

Dealer programmed it, the bad blinker light went out and everything works a.o.k.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
Wanted to update as I was able to find the part (used). The part has an updated version, it is part 997-618-512-01.

According to the dealer this newer part is more reliable.

I was able to install the part by swapping it out (I disconnected the battery, unplugged the old one, plugged in the new one, and hooked up the battery).

When I connected the battery, the alarm went off but I was easily able to shut it off with the key fob.

Car started up fine and the previous error was gone, I did get 2 new ones about the left front blinker bulb and the right front blinker bulb (which I assumed was due to the module needing to be coded). Blinkers and lights worked just fine.

Was very easy. I just got back from the dealership (about an hour away) and they charged me $155 to re-program the module (another dealer wanted $385, ridiculous).

Worked like a charm - the blinker warnings were gone and everything works great!

Great post, thanks!