Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
Perhaps the worst example

Racing Dynamics 55mm center cap input

Anyone fuss with this little dilemma? The wheels are in great shape shape (Jay!) and making them whole seems like the right idea. There’s a rather obscure center cap size and some fairly expensive EBay solutions...but maybe someone here has already tackled this? Probably best to order some close fits (Mini Cooper and a Dremel) and re-decal. Decals are easy enough to find. There’s a $200 example pictured below shipped from Greece, but nope.

External is 54/55mm and internal at approx 43mm.
Racing Dynamics RGR 17x8 ET50 / 17x9 ET52

Some of this stuff I’m writing here is just in case someone else finds themselves in the same place somewhere out in futureland. I think these wheels look pretty dope on 930-ish cars and not bad at all (and a little wider than OEM) on a Boxster. Pictured with a 15mm rear spacer.

Attached Images

Last edited by LincolnPeters; 05-29-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typos
LincolnPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

No suggestions for the cap but nice choice on the wheels!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #3

You think they’re pretty sweet, too? They were a bonus gift from a member here and after driving them (only gently on pretty much corded and cycled to death tyres) for a week back forth to work they seem like an awesome option... I’ll throw some mostly shot-out Federal SS595’s that are at least safe and huck them around a bit at some point to see if I can tell much difference from OEM. The wheels seem like unicorns and worth figuring out. I had them spaced 25mmR/15mmF until I learned a valuable lesson about never again using an impact gun to thread bolts, so for now we’ll only be using the 15mm in the rear. Doh!
But I meant to say back there before I forget that 25/15mm setup was quite a ride change— lateral track felt inches wider from the cockpit. I’d wanted to take it AutoX like that this weekend with “said setup” to see how it changed things at the limit. Probably better this way since it’s only my second time out killing cones, but you know how it’s always so tempting to want to be changing everything up before even really knowing what you already have? So for now we’ll be 15mmR/5mm front on OEM wheels/fresh RE-71’s— for those of us newbs comparing notes on spacer setups, etc...
Old 05-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #4

I run 25mm rear and 15mm getting spacers. I got them on Amazon for a song (with high quality lug bolts too) and they have worked flawlessly for 2 years. I think it makes quite a difference in corner stability.

What size tires are you running? Our stock fronts are 205 but I went up to 225 and that has made the single largest difference in handling I have made (well, its in the top 3 at least lol). It eliminates almost all understeer.

Fwiw, my impact never touches anything on my car. I know it's a tool in every garage but the thing is evil. I have a hard enough time not breaking bolts by hand. And good forbid you try to start a bit with an impact - you'll be cross threaded before you can release the trigger!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #5

Meant to get back here but got busy with work.

Ike, I’m running the same 225 front as you and concur on the under steer solution. My early and novice experience is wow, MR cars don’t give you much chance to correct over steer once they let go in a corner with wider tires. I’m relatively new to the car and amazed how well it handles in AutoX, but there’s def a few tank-slippers waiting on the limit— I’ve had two. Which were both probably predictable in hindsight and very exciting, lol. Second and third gear stuff, so not too crazy and I need to play around there more to get a better sense of the limit and over-correcting, if that makes sense.

Never had anything more narrow up front than 225/17 since getting the car four months ago. Used a newish 15mm spacer up front with that and would have kept that along with 25mm in back to try for DD/autoX but I made my cross-thread mistake and had to pull the 25’s off until I get a longer bolt to replace the one I damaged. New tires shipped and 5mmF/15mmR should get some track time this weekend and I’ll report back. Then move back to 15/25 and see how that feels. Wheels are about half an inch wider than OEM.