Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #1

What water pump do I want to buy?

I've heard all about the water pump issues with these cars (2002 Boxster S) with broken impellers, etc. Is there a particular one that's better than the others?

This car is REALLY starting to try my patience. I just did a bunch of flushes to get all traces of the oil out of the cooling system which was a result of a loose/failed oil cooler. I finally felt it was cleaned enough to put in the final load of distilled water and pink coolant. I took it for a drive, temps were good, but shortly into the ride the red light started blinking with low coolant. I took the car immediately back home, looked under, and saw a fairly serious leak. It's the water pump. AARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!

If I never touch the cooling system on this car again it'll be too soon. Any tips on which pump to get and/or tips on putting it in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I've heard all about the water pump issues with these cars (2002 Boxster S) with broken impellers, etc. Is there a particular one that's better than the others?

This car is REALLY starting to try my patience. I just did a bunch of flushes to get all traces of the oil out of the cooling system which was a result of a loose/failed oil cooler. I finally felt it was cleaned enough to put in the final load of distilled water and pink coolant. I took it for a drive, temps were good, but shortly into the ride the red light started blinking with low coolant. I took the car immediately back home, looked under, and saw a fairly serious leak. It's the water pump. AARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!

If I never touch the cooling system on this car again it'll be too soon. Any tips on which pump to get and/or tips on putting it in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
We have had zero luck with all the aftermarket stuff, even name brands. We only use the factory part.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We have had zero luck with all the aftermarket stuff, even name brands. We only use the factory part.
What JFP said -- OEM only

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

Factory... Just bought one in fact. Suncoast has them on sale.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks.
Old cars... aren't they FUN!!!???
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

+1,000,0000

OEM all the way.

Factory water pump.

Just do it.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Original Porsche part ordered. Thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:59 AM   #8

If you don't already have them, get a set of flex sockets. You will need them.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

You want the genuine Porsche pump. It's made by Pierberg, and you can get it for a lot less if you buy it in a Pierberg box instead of a Porsche box. Only difference will be that the little triangle with the P inside might be ground off with a dremel on the Pierberg one. Identical pump though, right down to the Porsche part number in the casting...

If it's too late and you have already ordered a pump I'll post this here anyway for others to see...

When changing the pump, there's one bolt that is especially hard to access. It's the lower right bolt (looking at the pump from the front). I used a 10mm socket that had a flexy joint built into it. Pay attention to where each bolt came from. I think the problem child bolt is a bit longer than the others.

Lastly, do not over-tighten the bolts. I think you torque them to some ridiculously low value like 8 ft-lbs.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #10

Thanks guys. I bought the Porsche pump. Too late to cancel now for the Pierburg part. I found the Porsche pump for about $250 so I guess I did OK. I have a complete set of metric 1/4" drive flex sockets so I'm good there. I also have a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench so I won't over torque the bolts.

As for keeping track of the bolts, I have a system I use for cases like this. I'll slide the bolts into the corresponding holes of the new part one by one as I remove them from the old pump. Then, when the bolts are all out and the pump is removed, I'll slide the bolts one by one into the corresponding holes of the old pump to keep them in their proper places as I install the new one.

I have flushed and drained the cooling system I believe 5 times in an attempt to get the oil out of the system. Only when it ran clear did I finally add the coolant, only to have the pump fail immediately after. Now I have to drain and refill yet again. Difficult? No, but frustrating as heck.

This Boxster will undoubtedly have the cleanest cooling system of any out there.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #11

Keeping up with the bolts

A system I have used on mechanical projects in the past that has worked well for me ( and I am by no means telling you how to do this)

Take a piece of cardboard or poster board and trace the "thing" ( water pump , Head bolts , Browning A5 Receiver etc.

Where bolt goes make a "T" incision with an xacto or pointy slim knife. As you remove the bolts or screws insert them into the cardboard example, they will stay in place and you will not lose track of where they go.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks guys. I bought the Porsche pump. Too late to cancel now for the Pierburg part. I found the Porsche pump for about $250 so I guess I did OK. I have a complete set of metric 1/4" drive flex sockets so I'm good there. I also have a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench so I won't over torque the bolts.
Yeah, that's a good price for a Porsche boxed part, that's not much more than the Pierburg and this way you'll still have that P in the triangle! LOL

I like your method of keeping track of where the bolts go. I usually use the same method that Dwight does (cardboard box with slits cut in it), but I like your method too.

Good luck, and I hope this is the last time you have to drain coolant for a while!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
I found the Porsche pump for about $250
Please tell me where?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
A system I have used on mechanical projects in the past that has worked well for me ( and I am by no means telling you how to do this)

Take a piece of cardboard or poster board and trace the "thing" ( water pump , Head bolts , Browning A5 Receiver etc.

Where bolt goes make a "T" incision with an xacto or pointy slim knife. As you remove the bolts or screws insert them into the cardboard example, they will stay in place and you will not lose track of where they go.
That's what I did too. Two of the water pump bolts are longer than the other two, but i think there was something on the pump that would tell you which if you didn't notice when taking them off, either a bevel on the back or a little edge or something to help align the pump when installing.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Please tell me where?
sunset imports sale them for 249.05 plus shipping.

Last edited by Meir; 05-09-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #16

Garage
Plastic or metal impeller ?
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #17

Garage
Plastic! The metal ones will chew away at your crank case!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #18

Circle Porsche sells the genuine pump for $240.72