986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What water pump do I want to buy? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71658)

Doug427 04-06-2018 12:44 PM

What water pump do I want to buy?

I've heard all about the water pump issues with these cars (2002 Boxster S) with broken impellers, etc. Is there a particular one that's better than the others?

This car is REALLY starting to try my patience. I just did a bunch of flushes to get all traces of the oil out of the cooling system which was a result of a loose/failed oil cooler. I finally felt it was cleaned enough to put in the final load of distilled water and pink coolant. I took it for a drive, temps were good, but shortly into the ride the red light started blinking with low coolant. I took the car immediately back home, looked under, and saw a fairly serious leak. It's the water pump. AARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!

If I never touch the cooling system on this car again it'll be too soon. Any tips on which pump to get and/or tips on putting it in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JFP in PA 04-06-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 567269)
I've heard all about the water pump issues with these cars (2002 Boxster S) with broken impellers, etc. Is there a particular one that's better than the others?

This car is REALLY starting to try my patience. I just did a bunch of flushes to get all traces of the oil out of the cooling system which was a result of a loose/failed oil cooler. I finally felt it was cleaned enough to put in the final load of distilled water and pink coolant. I took it for a drive, temps were good, but shortly into the ride the red light started blinking with low coolant. I took the car immediately back home, looked under, and saw a fairly serious leak. It's the water pump. AARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!

If I never touch the cooling system on this car again it'll be too soon. Any tips on which pump to get and/or tips on putting it in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

We have had zero luck with all the aftermarket stuff, even name brands. We only use the factory part.

seningen 04-06-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 567270)
We have had zero luck with all the aftermarket stuff, even name brands. We only use the factory part.

What JFP said -- OEM only

Mike

Geof3 04-06-2018 01:01 PM

Factory... Just bought one in fact. Suncoast has them on sale.

Geof3 04-06-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 567269)

Thanks.

Old cars... aren't they FUN!!!???:eek:

10/10ths 04-06-2018 05:31 PM

+1,000,0000

OEM all the way.

Factory water pump.

Just do it.

Doug427 04-06-2018 05:37 PM

Original Porsche part ordered. Thanks guys.

Spinnaker 04-07-2018 02:59 AM

If you don't already have them, get a set of flex sockets. You will need them.

BirdDog 04-07-2018 11:11 AM

You want the genuine Porsche pump. It's made by Pierberg, and you can get it for a lot less if you buy it in a Pierberg box instead of a Porsche box. Only difference will be that the little triangle with the P inside might be ground off with a dremel on the Pierberg one. Identical pump though, right down to the Porsche part number in the casting...

If it's too late and you have already ordered a pump I'll post this here anyway for others to see... :)

When changing the pump, there's one bolt that is especially hard to access. It's the lower right bolt (looking at the pump from the front). I used a 10mm socket that had a flexy joint built into it. Pay attention to where each bolt came from. I think the problem child bolt is a bit longer than the others.

Lastly, do not over-tighten the bolts. I think you torque them to some ridiculously low value like 8 ft-lbs.

Doug427 04-07-2018 01:08 PM

Thanks guys. I bought the Porsche pump. Too late to cancel now for the Pierburg part. I found the Porsche pump for about $250 so I guess I did OK. I have a complete set of metric 1/4" drive flex sockets so I'm good there. I also have a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench so I won't over torque the bolts.

As for keeping track of the bolts, I have a system I use for cases like this. I'll slide the bolts into the corresponding holes of the new part one by one as I remove them from the old pump. Then, when the bolts are all out and the pump is removed, I'll slide the bolts one by one into the corresponding holes of the old pump to keep them in their proper places as I install the new one.

I have flushed and drained the cooling system I believe 5 times in an attempt to get the oil out of the system. Only when it ran clear did I finally add the coolant, only to have the pump fail immediately after. Now I have to drain and refill yet again. Difficult? No, but frustrating as heck.

This Boxster will undoubtedly have the cleanest cooling system of any out there.:rolleyes:

Pdwight 04-07-2018 11:52 PM

Keeping up with the bolts

A system I have used on mechanical projects in the past that has worked well for me ( and I am by no means telling you how to do this)

Take a piece of cardboard or poster board and trace the "thing" ( water pump , Head bolts , Browning A5 Receiver etc.

Where bolt goes make a "T" incision with an xacto or pointy slim knife. As you remove the bolts or screws insert them into the cardboard example, they will stay in place and you will not lose track of where they go.

BirdDog 04-08-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 567344)
Thanks guys. I bought the Porsche pump. Too late to cancel now for the Pierburg part. I found the Porsche pump for about $250 so I guess I did OK. I have a complete set of metric 1/4" drive flex sockets so I'm good there. I also have a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench so I won't over torque the bolts.

Yeah, that's a good price for a Porsche boxed part, that's not much more than the Pierburg and this way you'll still have that P in the triangle! LOL

I like your method of keeping track of where the bolts go. I usually use the same method that Dwight does (cardboard box with slits cut in it), but I like your method too.

Good luck, and I hope this is the last time you have to drain coolant for a while!

clickman 05-08-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 567344)
I found the Porsche pump for about $250

Please tell me where?

steved0x 05-09-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 567357)
A system I have used on mechanical projects in the past that has worked well for me ( and I am by no means telling you how to do this)

Take a piece of cardboard or poster board and trace the "thing" ( water pump , Head bolts , Browning A5 Receiver etc.

Where bolt goes make a "T" incision with an xacto or pointy slim knife. As you remove the bolts or screws insert them into the cardboard example, they will stay in place and you will not lose track of where they go.

That's what I did too. Two of the water pump bolts are longer than the other two, but i think there was something on the pump that would tell you which if you didn't notice when taking them off, either a bevel on the back or a little edge or something to help align the pump when installing.

Meir 05-09-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman (Post 569868)
Please tell me where?

sunset imports sale them for 249.05 plus shipping.

gabedrummin 05-09-2018 01:25 PM

Plastic or metal impeller ?

Anker 05-09-2018 02:51 PM

Plastic! The metal ones will chew away at your crank case!

MarkAP 05-09-2018 06:49 PM

Circle Porsche sells the genuine pump for $240.72