Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #1

Non-Porsche anti freeze/coolant

Have any of you used a non Porsche antifreeze/coolant? If going non Porsche, what is commonly used? I can get Zerex and Prestone products around here. Not sure which type of each brand is used in a Porsche. Thanks.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #2

Garage
Because mixing types (Not up on the exact different types) of coolant can cause serious issues. if you currently have Porsche Antifreeze, you would need to flush it out completely before replacing it. I flushed mine twice before refilling with Porsche coolant from Porsche coolant. I'm not sure I flushed out all of the old. I think you would have to pull the hoses off the radiators and make sure they were drained
Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

Prestone Dexxcool will do. Very compatible and won't cause problems. A good flush would be nice, distilled water of course. It's OAT based and doesn't contain silicates.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Doug427,

When I replaced my two radiators on my 99 Boxster, I used VW antifreeze.

It is the exact same stuff that comes in the Porsche jug, it just doesn't have the Porsche mark up.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
It's like an oil thread, many different thoughts on what to use.

I went with Zerex G-05 when I did my water pump as that's the MB-spec stuff I used in my E320. When I do a flush next it'll likely be Pentosin G12.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Garage
Pentosin Pentofrost ++ here.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

What, something beside Porsche Unicorn derived coolant can be used?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc-i View Post
Doug427,

When I replaced my two radiators on my 99 Boxster, I used VW antifreeze.

It is the exact same stuff that comes in the Porsche jug, it just doesn't have the Porsche mark up.

MNC-I
+1 on the G12 or G13 VW coolant.
I used it a couple of years back when I did the water pump and Tstat.
The world hasn’t ended yet.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

Just to keep it consistent with NO question, Porsche blood for me. Learned this lesson the hard way in my Jeep...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #10

I unfortunately have oil in the coolant, likely (I hope) due to a faulty oil cooler or o-ring. It's be flushed super thoroughly, so no real chance of contamination with the new coolant. It just irks me the ridiculous price that Porsche charges for simple coolant. Simple DexCool, if it works, is inexpensive and available. I really can't see any reason it won't be just fine. I also noticed that in his water pump replacement how-to (or maybe it was his cooling system flush how-to writeup), Pedro, who has forgotten more about Porsche's than I will likely ever know, used plain 'ol green Prestone. Thanks to all of you for the answers.

Last edited by Doug427; 03-20-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #11

Garage
Years ago I worked in a GM service lane and saw quite a few vehicles come in where the Dex-Cool gelled up and created all kind of cooling system issues. Simply anecdotal evidence but unless they've re-formulated the product that would be the last coolant I would consider.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
Years ago I worked in a GM service lane and saw quite a few vehicles come in where the Dex-Cool gelled up and created all kind of cooling system issues. Simply anecdotal evidence but unless they've re-formulated the product that would be the last coolant I would consider.
This is because Dexcool (aka Deathcool) was originally introduced without proper validation with all components for compatibility, killing elastomeric seals, gaskets, etc.

With above said, it works fine when the entire system is properly designed and validated for. Actually I use it exclusively with my 03 SAAB and no compatibility issues for 175K mikes and counting.

With my 986, I’m sticking with original Porsche coolant. Pricey but I did complete drain and refill shortly after my purchase 12K miles ago and I do not plan on changing it for at least 5 years so no big deal.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #13

I didnt hit up the dealership. I just bought stuff that was for Porsche, vw, Audi and a few other euro makes. The brand I got also makes stuff specific to Japanese and North American cars and list brand compatibility
986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #14

Back when I had my Bimmer I used to use the gold colored Zerex G-05. Maybe I'm better trying that?
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #15

My understanding is that mixing coolant types was a bigger deal back when the 986 was a new car, and there were multiple (and not necessarily compatible) formulas out there. Now, they're mostly the same. But if your coolant is original, it's probably time for a flush anyway.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #16

The Porsche coolant (pink stuff) is uncut - you need to mix it with an equal quantity of (preferably distilled) water before putting it in your car. With that in mind, it's really not that expensive compared to Prestone and others (last time I checked they were selling Prestone as a pre-cut 50/50 mix)...

DexCool... if you use it, be sure to flush the stock coolant out (preferably flush it twice!) and change it when you get about 100,000 miles on it. After that you risk it turning into a thick gel...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here you go

(Honestly, I coudn't stand to watch enough of the video to learn the answer...)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #18

Not a chance I would put Dex-cool in an engine, flushed or not. As mentioned the Porsche coolant is full strength, so two to one, basically. Not that much more expensive. The bigger discussion is actually getting all of the old coolant out, and then bleeding the system properly. There are numerous nooks and crannies in the coolant system with the rads up front, just something to be aware of and keep in mind. With all the other stuff that can mess with a drivetrain, I prefer to err and the slightly more exspensive side and use the fluids designed for the engine/trans. Yeah, the Porsche stuff is unicorn blood, but it is the right stuff, and that’s never a bad thing. Most likely never replace it again, and if so, maybe once. So value wise, no issue.

Last edited by Geof3; 03-20-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #19

Anyone fluching and changing their coolant needs to see this....

This guy has the whole issue down to a "T". What to use and how to do it. These two vids are a must see for anyone flushing and replacing coolant. This guy seems to really have his act together.

What coolant to use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkoxlm6mzI

How to flush and change coolant in a Boxster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whc8e6baACw

Seems like good old plain simple Prestone is the way to go.

By the way, that idiot "Scotty" on the YouTube above has to be the most annoying creature on the face of the earth. How the heck does anyone watch him at all?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
This guy has the whole issue down to a "T". What to use and how to do it. These two vids are a must see for anyone flushing and replacing coolant. This guy seems to really have his act together.

What coolant to use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkoxlm6mzI

How to flush and change coolant in a Boxster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whc8e6baACw

Seems like good old plain simple Prestone is the way to go.

By the way, that idiot "Scotty" on the YouTube above has to be the most annoying creature on the face of the earth. How the heck does anyone watch him at all?
I like Burner, but this video about coolant sure is long winded. Almost went to sleep!

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote