Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

AOS symptoms and repair experience

I wanted to share my experience with others regarding my air/oil separator failure.

On my way home from work, my '01 Box started missing and stuttering in 1st and 2nd gear. Then I came to a stop light and the idle started to go up very quickly to about 2k and then back down. It did that a couple of times. Then it was back to missing badly as I pulled away from the stop. I got on the freeway just trying to get home. Again, more and more missing. At one point, I saw a bunch of smoke coming out the back. I was less than 1/2 mile from home so I went for it.

The next day, I contacted my mechanic and told him what was going on. Right away he said he thought it was the AOS. I had it towed to the shop because I truly thought I may have just wrecked the engine. Just under $400 for parts and labor, the AOS was replaced and the car is running just fine.

As I look back, I wouldn't have tried to get the car home (less than 5 miles). Everything worked out but it could've been an expensive risk.

I've actually replaced the AOS myself before but it was a few years back. I don't recommend it unless you have the right tools and a bunch of hours to kill.

Lastly, when I took the car away from the shop, I tripped a P1128 and a P1130 code. The oil cap wasn't put back on tightly. Problem solved.:dance:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18...7/mgaside2.jpg
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote