Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

2000 Boxster -ignition lock cylinder woes

Hey folks
I was having issues w/ my key being hard to turn. Following the tech articles, I had removed the ignition lock cylinder to get a better look at the mechanical portion of the ignition behind it.

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/86-ELEC-Replacing_Your_Ignition_Switch_Steering_Lock/images_small/pic02.jpg

When I was ready to reinstall the ignition lock cylinder, this was VERY difficult and took me couple hrs of trying.

The problem was that, in my case, there was virtually NO slack in the wiring harness to the immobilizer that's shown in the above link's picture (that is on the top side of the lock cylinder). In the picture it's pulled out of the hole some which would make it much easier to reattach.

I had the driver's door vent off so I had better access to things................but even w/ that I could only just barely get 1 finger on the connector when trying to line that up to fit it back. I got it done, but just wondering if others have found any tips to help here.
Thanks

ben2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Lock

I had the very same issue. The photos I found were misleading as well. I didn't wrestle as long as you but I could find no way to lengthen the wire so just had to finesse it into place to reconnect it.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

I removed my ignition cylinder even thought I didn't need to (I replaced the electrical switch) and I can't get the turd back in.

I have slack on the wires, just can't get it lined up to push it back in place.

I'm assuming that I have to do the "paper clip" thing again but I can't feel any action in there. My key is so fat that the wire tool doesn't want to go straight in. It worked pulling it out (on the third attempt) but dammit I can't put it back in place.

I hope it's one of those things I'll have to struggle with and it will all of a sudden snap back in place.
Boxturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

Boxturd - I certainly understand the frustration. I don't know if it will help you, but after I went thru this, I jotted down some notes (just in case I unexpectedly had to go thru it again)

"1) there was an electrical connector (immobilizer) that had to be reattached – and there was absolutely no way to get more than a finger back there (w/ my hand thru the driver's side vent I had removed), and very awkward at that. Probably w/ the dash off this would be more feasible, but as-is, it was very hard and only after an hr or 2 did I get it back on and attached
2) just mechanically – I had to try over and over to get it just right where the lock cylinder didn’t pop back out. I think (not sure now) I had to leave the paper clip IN it until I got it back to off (0) position before I removed that paper clip. But first it had to be seated where it wouldn’t pop back out too"

also i will add - the paper clip thing - I just used a regular, large size paper clip. Straightened about half of it out - 2-3 inches....and that was what I was inserting. It didn't go in smoothly/easily ---- I had to jiggle the key with 1 hand, and with the other hand push the paper clip in (repeatedly) until it finally "took" and went all the way in like needed. And was same getting it out.
ben2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

In another thread somebody suggested using the valet key which helps give more access when inserting the paper clip.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #6

I'm experiencing this same issue on my 99.. and ya know i think it really sucks... I mean for how how long has there be quite dependable ignition switches in autos, how can Porsche screw something as simple as this.

mikeinmass is offline   Reply With Quote