Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
In most cases, the original can be removed by twisting the lower portion of the knob counter clockwise. If there is no set screw, this is how they were originally locked in place.
Original shift lever cross-section is rectangular so the knob will not rotate.... But the lever has notches that the knob catches on, this is what you have to overcome pulling it straight out. Also the slot of knob is lined with felt... Not sure if ibetter than Chevy but it is very well designed.

I put a custom wood knob with alum tube over the lever, no spring fingers inside to catch the notches, too complicated to replicate factory design, so it just has set screws.

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKimbrough View Post
I have a '99 Boxster with 5-speed manual. I want to change the gear knob, but I can't locate any Allen set screw as mentioned in my Bentley service manual. I also can't simply pull it off as Pelican Parts mentions. Any suggestions??

The frame just lifts up. Take a good plastic interior tool or a plastic putty knife and work it off. If you are planning to use a regular knob you will need an adapter. The shifter itself is rectangular. There are adapters to make them round but you could have some Vibration issues. The shift knob assembly includes a frame, the leather boot and a knob. The stock assembly has the boot made into the knob. You
Can find a frame and a separate boot on ebay and use whatever you want along with the adapter I Mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #23

Pull straight up. Have your friends hold the car down because it's going to be a hell of a pull.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #24

For the replacement gear shift knob, are you just shopping Ebay? Have you found different suppliers? if so, who? Thanks.
ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_pilot View Post
For the replacement gear shift knob, are you just shopping Ebay? Have you found different suppliers? if so, who? Thanks.
Ebay has a bunch. It really depends on what type you are looking for. Suncoast has a good selection of both stock and aftermarket. Most aftermarkets will require some mods either for the fit of the knob or the boot.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote