986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gear knob removal (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70577)

TomKimbrough 01-03-2018 10:10 AM

Gear knob removal

I have a '99 Boxster with 5-speed manual. I want to change the gear knob, but I can't locate any Allen set screw as mentioned in my Bentley service manual. I also can't simply pull it off as Pelican Parts mentions. Any suggestions??

RobertKing 01-04-2018 08:08 PM

Gear knob removal

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomKimbrough (Post 559295)
I have a '99 Boxster with 5-speed manual. I want to change the gear knob, but I can't locate any Allen set screw as mentioned in my Bentley service manual. I also can't simply pull it off as Pelican Parts mentions. Any suggestions??

In some cases, you have to twist the bottom portion of the knob counter clockwise to release it. In others, it's clockwise. Aftermarket generally has set screws.

Geof3 01-04-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomKimbrough (Post 559295)

Hmm, not sure what twists on any stock shifter? Never seen a lock ring or otherwise? It should pull straight off. It takes more effort that you think.

RobertKing 01-04-2018 10:47 PM

Gear knob removal

If it can be removed simply by force, I'd rather drive a chevy.

Geof3 01-04-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertKing (Post 559452)
If it can be removed simply by force, I'd rather drive a chevy.

They are just pressed on... aftermarkets require a set screw of some sort but stock are press fit. Even my GT3 shift knob presses on. Very secure. No issues.

itsnotanova 01-05-2018 03:57 AM

The shifter knob is removed by pulling straight up. Make sure you don't smack yourself in the face once it comes loose. Some replacement boots have a screw holding them on

RedTele58 01-05-2018 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 559464)
The shifter knob is removed by pulling straight up. Make sure you don't smack yourself in the face once it comes loose.

^^^^^^^
This.
Ask me how I know. :D

thstone 01-05-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 559450)
It should pull straight off. It takes more effort that you think.

Yes, it takes way more force to pull it off than you would ever expect. And yes, you're likely to smack yourself in the face when it comes loose! :D

rfuerst911sc 01-05-2018 10:27 AM

If possible lower the top , that way you can straddle the shifter and pull up with force . Doing it this way you won't smack your face but you do put Mr. Johnson in harms way ! Be safe out there .

Quadcammer 01-05-2018 10:49 AM

I think some oem knobs use a set screw. That will likely be right where the top of the boot is on the front or the back.

356Guy 01-05-2018 01:48 PM

I used a slide hammer. It makes it very easy.

Geof3 01-06-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 356Guy (Post 559532)
I used a slide hammer. It makes it very easy.

How did you go about that? How did you mount the slide hammer?

RobertKing 01-07-2018 02:43 AM

Gear knob removal

In most cases, the original can be removed by twisting the lower portion of the knob counter clockwise. If there is no set screw, this is how they were originally locked in place.

356Guy 01-07-2018 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 559626)
How did you go about that? How did you mount the slide hammer?

It came with some thread on adapters. I used the L shaped adapter underneath the knob. One quick little pop and off it came.

dghii 01-07-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 559464)
The shifter knob is removed by pulling straight up. Make sure you don't smack yourself in the face once it comes loose. Some replacement boots have a screw holding them on

I did the same when pulling the Wood Nardi steering wheel off on my X1/9 when I was 20 years old.....hit me right across the bridge of the nose and knocked my silly for a few seconds!
I remember sitting in the drivers seat with the wheel in my hands thinking "What the h_ll just happened!??"

particlewave 01-07-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertKing (Post 559631)
In most cases, the original can be removed by twisting the lower portion of the knob counter clockwise. If there is no set screw, this is how they were originally locked in place.

No. They pull straight up and off, as everyone else has already pointed out. ;)
I guess you'll be hitting the Chevy dealerships tomorrow. :D

itsnotanova 01-07-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 559649)
I did the same when pulling the Wood Nardi steering wheel off on my X1/9 when I was 20 years old.....hit me right across the bridge of the nose and knocked my silly for a few seconds!
I remember sitting in the drivers seat with the wheel in my hands thinking "What the h_ll just happened!??"

LOL, I did the same thing trying to remove the pulley off a bug generator when I was that age. I hit myself right between the eyes. Now I have a small scar to remind me not to do that anymore. The benefit of getting older is it looks like a wrinkle now

MikeMcMo 01-07-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 559654)
LOL, I did the same thing trying to remove the pulley off a bug generator when I was that age. I hit myself right between the eyes. Now I have a small scar to remind me not to do that anymore. The benefit of getting older is it looks like a wrinkle now

Hey Woody, Can you tell us why you go by It'sNotANova? Wonder if there's a good story there...

Geof3 01-07-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 356Guy (Post 559640)
It came with some thread on adapters. I used the L shaped adapter underneath the knob. One quick little pop and off it came.

Ah! Very nice! Beats a knob in the chops!

Geof3 01-07-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertKing (Post 559631)

Dude, why did you post this info a second time?:eek: It just not correct...