Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Oil change question

I finally got around to changing my oil for winter hibernation. I typically do with the car level but this time I just backed the car onto ramps. The oil in car had about 1k on them. I changed filter and let oil drop until it stopped. I added 9 quarts thinking I could top off after. I got car up to temperature today and then parked car in garage. Checked oil with the oil level sensor in car ( after sitting for 15 mins). It read really high. Is it possible that with car at a tilt, there was still over a quart of oil in engine? I checked dip stick and it seemed low though I just have a tough time trusting that. That design is awful. Feel like the dip stick is going to bend. Please note, battery was disconnected. Not sure if that with and the horrible weather could give a poor reading.
Thanks.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

Garage
How did you interpret the sensor that it read high? Assuming the car was level and not on ramps when you used the dip stick, I would trust the dip stick.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

You put too much oil in. At most, the take 8 qrts. Best to put 7 in and then fill appropriately with the 8th.

But don't despair, you can remove the oil filter canister and dump the oil in it, which will knock approx. .4 of a quart out of the total. You'll need to start your car after replacing the canister and repeat the process at least once more, but probably twice.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Garage
If you have an 3.2L engine "S" manual states 9.2 qts; I've changed oil with 9.2 qts and dip stick shows full as well as indicator
Old 01-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #5

Bentley says 9.25 quarts with filter change. I guess I'll check again in spring and do the filter if needed. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Bentley says 9.25 quarts with filter change. I guess I'll check again in spring and do the filter if needed. Thanks.
Always change the filter with oil change. The added benefit is that you can inspect it for IMS wear
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #7

Go by the dipstick. If it shows good, then you are fine. If it’s shows over full than you need to drain some oil. The dipstick won’t bend, unless you jam it in, just feed it with two hands. Simple. The gauge in the car should always read full at the top mark (yes there is a range) but full is where you want it. Ultimately the dipstick is the final rule.

Last edited by Geof3; 01-01-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:59 AM   #8

You sure about the top level on the electric Guage. I've always ran that in the middle? Either way, I'll go by dip stick. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

My 2001 S shows middle point on dipstick but slightly high on digital gauge. What I mean slightly high it looks over filled. I put 9 quarts as the Bentley manual states.
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

I never even look at the electronic oil gauge. The dipstick will never lie.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #11

Oil change question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I never even look at the electronic oil gauge. The dipstick will never lie.
While it's true that the gauge can be misleading, the dipstick is even more so. If the engine is cold, what you read at the stick, is a good measure. If it's hot, it's no more accurate than making a guess. Also, the stick does not measure what is or is not in the oil filter. Yes, the stick is a safer bet but, it's still a bet.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
While it's true that the gauge can be misleading, the dipstick is even more so. If the engine is cold, what you read at the stick, is a good measure. If it's hot, it's no more accurate than making a guess. Also, the stick does not measure what is or is not in the oil filter. Yes, the stick is a safer bet but, it's still a bet.

How can a physical device taking an actual depth measurement of oil be misleading?

When the engine is cold and all oil has drained to the pan, is the ACTUAL measure. When hot, the measure on the dipstick is the operating level as the cylinder heads contain oil.

The oil filter is always 100% full so that is irrelevant after the first start after an oil change with a new filter.

The oil dipstick is a bet????

Last edited by 911monty; 01-02-2018 at 09:51 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #13

If my in car “gauge” reads one bar “low” I will check the dipstick. I check the DS regularly anyway. It is pretty common “knowledge” that the dipstick on these engines should always be at the top mark, thus showing full on the interior gauge. This helps with the potential issue of oil starvation and helps keep what little oil might get to the IMS a little more chance. It’s not a big deal to keep it topped up.

And yes, 100% sure the dipstick is always the final rule. Hot or cold. To me the interior gauge is a suggestion.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post

How can a physical device taking an actual depth measurement of oil be misleading?

When the engine is cold and all oil has drained to the pan, is the ACTUAL measure. When hot, the measure on the dipstick is the operating level as the cylinder heads contain oil.

The oil filter is always 100% full so that is irrelevant after the first start after an oil change with a new filter.

The oil dipstick is a bet????

Yes, it's always a bet. Fluid dynamics come into play here. While the flow may be constant, the level within the filter is not. The best you can hope for is a close approximation of the current level. In plain language, a guess.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
If my in car “gauge” reads one bar “low” I will check the dipstick. I check the DS regularly anyway. It is pretty common “knowledge” that the dipstick on these engines should always be at the top mark, thus showing full on the interior gauge. This helps with the potential issue of oil starvation and helps keep what little oil might get to the IMS a little more chance. It’s not a big deal to keep it topped up.

And yes, 100% sure the dipstick is always the final rule. Hot or cold. To me the interior gauge is a suggestion.
This is a false belief. IMS will fail when it fails. Has nothing at all to do with oil pressure o r levels. Bearings fail because they either wear the races they ride in or break apart due to friction. No amount of oil will prevent either.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #16

Ok, I will go by the dip stick. I've never had a problem checking oil on a car before. Seems like with the Boxster, as soon as I pull the 20 feet of oil stick out, I feel like the oil on the stick has been compromised to its validity.
So when people look at their internal level, where does it usually fall? I always did the middle.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #17

Garage
Use the Dip stick
Gauge can show different reading just turning the key on (not start), off and then back on (Not Start)
Hardest part of dip stick is seeing new oil on the measuring end
I like to see my dipstick level just a shade under the max marker
Gauge 1 bar under max level line
Old 01-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Ok, I will go by the dip stick. I've never had a problem checking oil on a car before. Seems like with the Boxster, as soon as I pull the 20 feet of oil stick out, I feel like the oil on the stick has been compromised to its validity.
So when people look at their internal level, where does it usually fall? I always did the middle.
If your car sits level, then check your oil level first thing before your first start. This will be your most accurate level and should be easiest to read. The electronic level then becomes a reference during additional starts. I also like to see one bar down.

I keep a clean white paper towel in the expansion tank cap area for checking level. Once I pull the dipstick, I lay the end on the towel this makes even "new" oil easy to read and you can see the condition of "old" oil.

The paper towel also serves as a highly visible indicator to coolant leak. Not wet or pink then rock and roll.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-03-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
Yes, it's always a bet. Fluid dynamics come into play here. While the flow may be constant, the level within the filter is not. The best you can hope for is a close approximation of the current level. In plain language, a guess.
I see the problem here.......If your fluid is dynamic, then shut the engine off to check the oil.

Flow is not constant, changes with RPM.

Plain English, Guess again.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-03-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #20
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I don't have any special knowledge here, but when the engineers start arguing theory with the software designers, the pilots stop listening and just look it up in the book.

No noted difference in capacity between the 2.7L and 3.2L: 8.7 quarts/8.25 liters with filter change. (pg 242 in the '03 manual).

I vote that everybody who posted in this thread be banned from Facebook groups.