Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Muffler clamps???

Hey Guys,

I was worked on my '98 today.... Got the stock muffler out.... Without Taking the bumper off..... (I really need to learn how to curse in German!!!), what a PITA!!! Anyway got my cheap EBay/Amazon muffler mounted up with no problem..... And reused the cat. clamps but needed new ones for the "C" pipes to mufflers.... I read about the "NAPA easy seal"
So picked up a couple of 2" ones from my local Natioal Auto Parts..... When I went to
Install it it was too loose..... I think I need one for a 1.75" or 1 7/8"....

Does anyone know where I can get the correct size? The Napa easy seals.... smallest size is 2". Am I doing something dumb???

Thanks!!!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369fred; 12-28-2017 at 05:39 PM.
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:51 AM   #2

To my knowledge the smallest Easy Seal band clamp is 2 " . I did a fair amount of internet searching and came up empty for the smaller diameter for the U bend pipes .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:39 AM   #3

Yeah..... I had the same issues..... Maybe Denis Kirk, or motorcycle or ATV supply houses..... I can't be the first person to run into Tis issue.... I'd use the stock ones, but snapped a bolt removing it....

Thanks for the help!!!
Fred
Old 12-29-2017, 04:41 AM   #4

I used this one, got from Amazon bit probably available at the local parts houses.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=wwwpelicanpar-20&creative=9325&path=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317DKWO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #5

Garage
The 2” size should work. I assume you looked at my post on this?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #6

Pelican sells OEM clamps. Spendy but correct.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1047/POR_1047_EXHPIP_pg2.htm#item4
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Clamps

I've used what they call a T-bolt clamp on exhaust systems on my bikes in the past. They are a heavy duty S.S. band style clamp used on industrial hydraulic systems.
If you can't find them local they are available from McMaster Carr supply.
Cheers. 2HE
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 AM   #8

Hey Guys,

I ordered a couple of OEM clamps... FYI my Cat to muffler pips are
1 3/4" I suspect the 97'-'00 car are all this size so the 2" easy seal clamps will NOT work . But since I installed my New El Cheapo eBay Muffler.... I found a "exaust repair kit" at autozone it is kinda cheap and cheesy Universal deal...... But it got me on the road..... Untill my new clamps come in....

FYI I really like the new muffler..... Yeah it does drone around 2500..... So..... Don't drive around 2500!!! I did order a motorcycle baffle.... But I haven't decided if I'm going to run it up stream of the muffler.... Or at the tips..... Or if I will just run one baffle or two.... Guess I'm destine for some trial and error!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
FYI my Cat to muffler pips are
1 3/4"
They're metric actually.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I ordered a couple of OEM clamps... FYI my Cat to muffler pips are
1 3/4" I suspect the 97'-'00 car are all this size so the 2" easy seal clamps will NOT work . But since I installed my New El Cheapo eBay Muffler.... I found a "exaust repair kit" at autozone it is kinda cheap and cheesy Universal deal...... But it got me on the road..... Untill my new clamps come in....

FYI I really like the new muffler..... Yeah it does drone around 2500..... So..... Don't drive around 2500!!! I did order a motorcycle baffle.... But I haven't decided if I'm going to run it up stream of the muffler.... Or at the tips..... Or if I will just run one baffle or two.... Guess I'm destine for some trial and error!
Thanks for all that information. Please let us all know what you will do about the baffles, and what worked best to deal with the drone. And please let us know where you got them, please (size and length). Thanks a million and happy new year.
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #11

Hey Guys,

For the good of the order.....

I have completely eleminated the 2500 RPM drone in my Chineasium cat back mufflers....
I'm really excited..... It really sounds amazing..... I'm sooooo hoping my local P.D's have a sence of humor!

I bought this baffle off eBay and since my '98 2.5 L. has the narrow pipes between the cat and muffler.... I ended up going with the exhaust tip baffle mount....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331519702132

Because of the 1 3/4(ish) size pre muffler I don't think I could make it work upstream of the muffler. I took this baffle and cut the 2" diameter ends off with a chop saw, Leaving the center section at 1 7/8ths. This I cut in half (each being roughly 7.5" I cleaned up the cuts with a grinder and file.... And it popped right in the left Tail pipe outlet. I did then drill up into the tailpipe with a high speed bit. I than bolted the baffle into the pipe, securing it with a stainless bolt and nut, and lock washer. I only have placed one baffle in the tailpipe.... And no further mod is needed.....

I may add the other baffle "half" in the other pipe.... Just to see what it sounds like.... And because my A.D.D. requires symmetry..... But It works great with just the one baffle, and that the howling demon at 2500 is a thing of the past.... I lugged the crap out of my motor today..... Trying to induce a drone.... And maybe (my 51 YOA ears ain't what they once were, but there might be a a very, very light drone at 2000 RPM.... But it is hard to say.... It may be my imagination.....

With one baffle locked in place, it runs (and sounds) like a raped Ape, and It may be psychosomatic..... But her pickup seems a hair faster... And that howl at 5000 is.....

Delicious!

I will post a couple of pic's tomorrow.... I will probably put the other baffle in.... Because..... Well, I am one of those types that just can't leave well enough alone.... But I can say.... The drone issue is not a problem you have to live with.....

Thanks for all the help guys!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369fred; 01-03-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey Guys,

For the good of the order.....

I have completely eleminated the 2500 RPM drone in my Chineasium cat back pipes....
I'm really excited..... It really sounds amazing..... I'm sooooo hoping my local P.D's have a sence of humor!

I bought this baffle off eBay and since my '98 2.5 L. has the narrow pipes between the cat and muffler.... I ended up going with the exhaust tip baffle mount....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331519702132

Because of the 1 3/4(ish) size pre muffler I don't think I could make it work upstream of the muffler. I took this baffle and cut the 2" diameter ends off with a chop saw, Leaving the center section at 1 7/8ths. This I cut in half (each being roughly 7.5" I cleaned up the cuts with a grinder and file.... And it popped right in the left Tail pipe outlet. I did then drill up into the tailpipe with a high speed bit. I than bolted the baffle into the pipe, securing it with a stainless bolt and nut, and lock washer. I only have placed one baffle in the tailpipe.... And no further mod is needed.....

I may add the other baffle "half" in the other pipe.... Just to see what it sounds like.... And because my A.D.D. requires symmetry..... But It works great with just the one baffle, and that the howling demon at 2500 is a thing of the past.... I lugged the crap out of my motor today..... Trying to induce a drone.... And maybe (my 51 YOA eyes ain't what they once were.. I'm aren't what they once were, We found a very, very light one at 2000 RPM.... But it is hard to say what is real?

With one baffle locked in place, it runs (and sounds) like a raped Ape, and It may be psychosomatic..... But her pickup seems a hair faster... And that howl at 5000 is.....

Delicious!

I'm will post a couple of pic's tomorrow.... I will probably put the other baffle in.... Because..... Well, I am one of those types that just can't leave well enough alone.... But I can say.... The drone issue is not a problem you have to live with.....

Thanks for all the help guys!
Fred
Awesome! Pics indeed, please!
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #13

You basically did the same thing I did on my GHL twin can muffler . But I went with Car Chemistry baffles/discs/exhaust wool . I bought one baffled tube about 14 " long and four discs that the OD would fit in the ID of my exhaust tips . Cut the 14 " tube in half , welded the discs to the tubes roughly at the ends of the tubes and then wrapped with the exhaust steel wool . Slid them in place and drilled one small hole each and used a rivet to hold them in place .

A low rumble at idle to a screaming banshee at 7K with only a hint of drone I am very happy with the results . I also like the way the exposed disc's look .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote