View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
1096369fred

Hey Guys,

For the good of the order.....

I have completely eleminated the 2500 RPM drone in my Chineasium cat back mufflers....
I'm really excited..... It really sounds amazing..... I'm sooooo hoping my local P.D's have a sence of humor!

I bought this baffle off eBay and since my '98 2.5 L. has the narrow pipes between the cat and muffler.... I ended up going with the exhaust tip baffle mount....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331519702132

Because of the 1 3/4(ish) size pre muffler I don't think I could make it work upstream of the muffler. I took this baffle and cut the 2" diameter ends off with a chop saw, Leaving the center section at 1 7/8ths. This I cut in half (each being roughly 7.5" I cleaned up the cuts with a grinder and file.... And it popped right in the left Tail pipe outlet. I did then drill up into the tailpipe with a high speed bit. I than bolted the baffle into the pipe, securing it with a stainless bolt and nut, and lock washer. I only have placed one baffle in the tailpipe.... And no further mod is needed.....

I may add the other baffle "half" in the other pipe.... Just to see what it sounds like.... And because my A.D.D. requires symmetry..... But It works great with just the one baffle, and that the howling demon at 2500 is a thing of the past.... I lugged the crap out of my motor today..... Trying to induce a drone.... And maybe (my 51 YOA ears ain't what they once were, but there might be a a very, very light drone at 2000 RPM.... But it is hard to say.... It may be my imagination.....

With one baffle locked in place, it runs (and sounds) like a raped Ape, and It may be psychosomatic..... But her pickup seems a hair faster... And that howl at 5000 is.....

Delicious!

I will post a couple of pic's tomorrow.... I will probably put the other baffle in.... Because..... Well, I am one of those types that just can't leave well enough alone.... But I can say.... The drone issue is not a problem you have to live with.....

Thanks for all the help guys!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369fred; 01-03-2018 at 04:21 AM.
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote