Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Anybody installed Bergville remote?

Its probably a little late to ask because I just impulse ordered this on their Black Friday sale for $55 USD shipped
https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/t-lock-keyless-entry/t-lock-keyless-entry-system.html

I had my remote FOB fixed but I still can't lock/unlock the doors and I'm not spending hundreds on new keys and reprogramming. I put an aftermarket remote locking system in my 993 which wasn't a 20 minute job. Hopefully this goes well.

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I’ve heard good things about Tore’s keyless kit over on Rennlist. Have considered putting it on my 964.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Please let me know how this works out.
I only have 1 key and don't want to spend $500 for a spare.
With this unit, would it then be possible to hide the 1 good key in the car and use these remotes to lock/unlock the doors?
Sound like a better solution, at least for the moment.
2002 Boxster Base
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
Please let me know how this works out.
I only have 1 key and don't want to spend $500 for a spare.
With this unit, would it then be possible to hide the 1 good key in the car and use these remotes to lock/unlock the doors?
Sound like a better solution, at least for the moment.
2002 Boxster Base
Why would you need to "hide the one good key in the car"?
The key and transponder are completely separate from keyless entry.

To the OP: any keyless entry module will work just fine if you know what you're doing. I paid $13 for mine. It has a very long range due to the tiny 12V battery and has been working flawlessly for years.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56773-3rd-party-keyless-entry-diy-why-not.html
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 AM   #5

I was under the impression that the "expensive" part of a replacement key is the programming to make it start the car. This way at least I won't lose the 1 key that will start the car and use the door opener to get in and out of the car instead of the key.
I'm not quite sure if I am explaining my idea correctly here.
What's the point of installing this unit then?
I don't quite understand it, apparently.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
These keys have three basic parts:
1) The keyless entry transmitter which sends a radio signal to the stock immobilizer in order to lock/unlock the doors or pop the trunk(s) remotely
2) The physical key which turns the lock cylinders in the doors and ignition (car will unlock without part #3, but will not start)
3) The transponder coil in the key head (looks like a large grain of rice) which tells the car that it is ok to start when the key is turned in the ignition

A new key from Porsche will need to come with a code for programming it to the car and the cost of the head, blade cutting and programming can easily push the $500 mark.
If you have a key(s) that will start the car, but not unlock remotely, then the transmitter is broken (part #1). As stated above, those that wish to have the remote functions will have to pay a hefty price for a replacement key head, so a 3rd party keyless entry system is a viable alternative (has nothing to do with parts 2 or 3, or starting the car).

If you leave your one good key in the car, you'd be in a real pickle if the aftermarket keyless entry failed.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the clarity, Particlewave.
There's no real way around that $500 spare key, it seems.
From what my mechanic told me, it's still a lot cheaper than sending all 3 units to Florida for reprogramming if I do lose the one good key.....
Old 11-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #8

you can also take the "grain of rice" out of the good key and glue and tape it to the inside of the rubber boot around the ignition switch. Then any properly cut key will start the 986.

As you now know the remote part of the key is a separate issue. You can go the aftermarket route and all will work well.....both starting and remote lock unlock.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner

Last edited by boxfix; 11-27-2017 at 08:19 PM.
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
you can also take the "grain of rice" out of the good key and glue and tape it to the inside of the rubber boot around the ignition switch. Then any properly cut key will start the 986.

As you now know the remote part of the key is a separate issue. You can go the aftermarket route and all will work well.....both starting and remote lock unlock.
Has anybody had an issue with taping the transponder to the key barrel? They locksmith who cut my key said that he'd heard of folks having an issue with the idea that caused the immobilizer to lock up. Thought about doing it but want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Has anybody had an issue with taping the transponder to the key barrel?
I have done it plenty of times and none of the cars have had a problem. My wife gets the Porsche badged keys and mine are Audi & VW flip keys.
I'm curious now... tomorrow, I'll start up one of the cars, then pull the transponder off and see if it stops running, has an IMS failure, or explodes. -Will report back Wednesday evening if I survive.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Has anybody had an issue with taping the transponder to the key barrel? They locksmith who cut my key said that he'd heard of folks having an issue with the idea that caused the immobilizer to lock up. Thought about doing it but want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot.
The "key barrel"?? I did not say that.

The "grain or rice" needs to be near the immobilizer antenna. Installing it on the rubber boot does that.
The locksmith who cut my keys told me that the Sheriff department and the CHP Take the immobilizer out of the keys on their new cars and SUVs and install near the antenna in the car. They need 3+ sets of key and they are not about to buy key with expensive immobilizers in them.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner

Last edited by boxfix; 11-28-2017 at 05:29 PM.
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #12

I'm not sure how we went from keyless entry to hiding a key in the car. Its not like I'm installing a remote starter unit. I just want to be able to lock and unlock remotely.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
I'm not sure how we went from keyless entry to hiding a key in the car. Its not like I'm installing a remote starter unit. I just want to be able to lock and unlock remotely.
If you go this route, you could use the key head without the remote to reduce bulk. Plus it has a notch inside for the immobilizer pellet.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #14

We got here because I was looking for a way to have spare keys that don't cost $500!
I had asked about alternatives and the conversation veered a bit in this direction!
There are some very helpful ideas here, thanks gents!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
The "key barrel"?? I did not say that.

The "grain or rice" needs to be near the immobilizer antenna. Installing it on the rubber boot does that.
The locksmith who cut my keys told me that the Sheriff department and the CHP Take the immobilizer out of the keys on their new cars and SUVs and install near the antenna in the car. They need 3+ sets of key and they are not about to buy key with expensive immobilizers in them.
Dude, relax. Never said you mentioned the key barrel. I mentioned it. We’re talking same general area. I’ve heard of folks purging the pill on the barrel as opposed to the rubber surround.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Has anybody had an issue with taping the transponder to the key barrel rubber surround? ...
I did a quick test today using my '01 Tiptronic. The transponder is stuck on the rubber surround just to the right of the connection for the coil.
  • I pulled off the transponder and tried to start the car: No crank.
  • I put the transponder back and started the car: Normal start.
  • While it was running I moved the transponder away: Kept running, no indication of a problem.
  • My current curiosity is: With no transponder, can you roll the car, put it in gear, pop the clutch and drive it away? Maybe another day on my '99.
Here's the DIY I made a while back: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56448-diy-making-cheap-spare-keys.html

Update:
I just tried the experiment with my manual transmission '99.
  • Set-up - The transponder is still in the normal key, but I also have a key which has been cut, without transponder.
  • Procedure - I started the car with the no-transponder key by holding the 'good' key close by. I then set the 'good' key on the passenger seat and drove the car around the block. I stopped at the top of a gentle slope and turned the key off. Rolling the car forward, I turned the key on and popped the clutch in 2nd gear. No start and Check Engine Light came on. I started the car with the 'good' key and returned to the slope. With the good key and the same procedure, it started right up.
  • Conclusion - The immobilizer does not simply disable the starter. There is logic in the DME/ECU that will prevent a start, but allows a running engine to continue running.

356Guy, did you resolve your question with PW's http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56773-3rd-party-keyless-entry-diy-why-not.html ?
Not the Bergville specifically, but many of these kits have the same internals.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #17

Great info! Thanks for taking the time to experiment.

I wish there was just a way to disable all this stuff once the car got to a certain age or value. Maybe sing a liability waiver for the insurance company if needed. The whole security/immobilizer seems to cause folks a lot more headaches than the security it brings.

You shouldn't have to buy a $500 key for a car that is gettable for $5,000 these days. Who's it really protecting?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #18
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
You shouldn't have to buy a $500 key for a car that is gettable for $5,000 these days.
Porsche Jacksonville (nee Brumos) quoted me around $365 for a new key, cut, and programmed (both immobilizer and keyless entry), for what it's worth. Labor was almost half of that. Many independent shops that have a PIWIS or PST2 can code keys to the immobilizer.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 12-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #19

I finally got the unit in the mail. The install was pretty straightforward once you figure out how to disconnect the harness for the seat and read the instructions thoroughly The wires from the Bergville unit connect to wires in both of the harnesses that go to the controller. It seems to work fine and the lights even flash when it locks and unlocks. I always forget to take pics as I go. Its not even Christmas and the Boxster project list has dwindled to a fuel filter change and the installation of a new front rubber flapper thingy.

Last edited by 356Guy; 12-16-2017 at 02:01 PM.