Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Clutch failure

Need guidance in a clutch issue. Yesterday after driving 50 miles one way with no issue, coming off the interstate I shifted into neutral and the clutch fell to the floor. Coasted off but the clutch would not come back up. It was flat on the floor. After I stopped, I could pull it up by hand but if I tried to shift with it, it simply fell right back to the floor. Checked the brake fluid. Was only a tiny bit low. Added some more fluid and it came back up. Worked normally and managed to drive it home. Obviously need to check the clutch master and slave cylinder. But what else? Could a bit low fluid really have caused the clutch to fail? Advice? Thanks.

ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_pilot View Post
Need guidance in a clutch issue. Yesterday after driving 50 miles one way with no issue, coming off the interstate I shifted into neutral and the clutch fell to the floor. Coasted off but the clutch would not come back up. It was flat on the floor. After I stopped, I could pull it up by hand but if I tried to shift with it, it simply fell right back to the floor. Checked the brake fluid. Was only a tiny bit low. Added some more fluid and it came back up. Worked normally and managed to drive it home. Obviously need to check the clutch master and slave cylinder. But what else? Could a bit low fluid really have caused the clutch to fail? Advice? Thanks.
Ray, don't know how many miles your car has, but for the symptoms you are describing I would replace the slave cylinder, as is not too expensive but very critical for the proper operation and it's a fairly straight job.

The master is a bit more elaborated due to the location, also check the condition of the rubber hose that connects to the slave.

Good luck!

PS: i don't believe that a slightly lower fluid level would affect the clutch operation, however a good bleeding could help a lot..

Last edited by Gilles; 11-20-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

Slightly low is not a problem at all. If you can't find a leak around the slave or master, remember that fluid can leak out of the master into the brake booster (and ruin it quickly).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #4

Just an update. Since after adding fluid the clutch started working again, I let it go for awhile. But did order new slave cylinder, metal connector and hose line (Pelican Parts recommended). Changed everything recently. Not too hard. Bleeding was more difficult. Yes, you need a power bleeder. Changed all the fluid. I used almost a full quart. Was very impressed as it was nicely black and I replaced it with a nice almost clear fluid. So all my fluid is done and that problem should be behind me. Brakes are very tight. Clutch feels different but I attribute that to being new and properly bled.

ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote