Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Oil Indicator

Ok, I replaced the ignition switch today 'cause the key was getting very hard to turn and well...I had one. No electrical gremlins causing me problems but I figured why not replace now instead of waiting for something to happen. I'm small so no problem getting in the footwell. Removed the ductwork and everything went easy. Was done in about 10 minutes. Everything started up fine and works except my oil indicator won't work now. Two bars light up and it cycles like it's trying to read but it just keeps cycling. Two other things are a little weird too. The metal click after you remove the key takes about 5 to 6 seconds to happen now and there is a timer that appears below the mileage and it counts down from 4:00 minutes. What's up with that? Should I put the old switch back in? I did not disconnect the battery. Any ideas? Thanks as always...

Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Ok, I replaced the ignition switch today 'cause the key was getting very hard to turn and well...I had one. No electrical gremlins causing me problems but I figured why not replace now instead of waiting for something to happen. I'm small so no problem getting in the footwell. Removed the ductwork and everything went easy. Was done in about 10 minutes. Everything started up fine and works except my oil indicator won't work now. Two bars light up and it cycles like it's trying to read but it just keeps cycling. Two other things are a little weird too. The metal click after you remove the key takes about 5 to 6 seconds to happen now and there is a timer that appears below the mileage and it counts down from 4:00 minutes. What's up with that? Should I put the old switch back in? I did not disconnect the battery. Any ideas? Thanks as always...
Bump. I'd be interested in hearing what someone comes up with. It sounds like a new challenge, and not something for which you might find information during a search.

Maybe a Pro can chime in.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
Try waiting out the clock countdown. When it gets to 0:00, the indicator should register the oil level.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

Are you sure you had the right part? There was an updated version of the electrical portion of the switch. If nothing else, I'd retrace my steps, unplug the switch, put old one back in and compare.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

You don't say what year your car is, but if you put the 'new' version switch in an old car, the car will try to start as soon as you reconnect the battery, and I'd assume you'd get similar oddities with an old switch in a new car, as the switch positions are rotated 90 degrees. So probably not that if it starts ok etc.

What TO said is probably correct, if the engine has been running it always has a timer count down to let the oil drain back, at the end of the countdown it should show the level. Leave it overnight then check, if it's been off for a while it should show the level immediately.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. To close the loop, the car is a 2001 2.7L. I waited awhile to hopefully let the new switch "calibrate" which it did. No more timer and the indicator works as usual. The switch is still a bit stiff but not quite as bad as before. I think the lock cylinder may be going bad. My next plan of action is to remove the lock mechanism and lubricate it with Triflo PTFE to loosen the tumblers. If that doesn't work then it's on to replacing the cylinder which I Really don't want to do $$$.

Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote