Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #21

Why do you expect your local Porsche Club of America to champion your issue? Regional PCAs get a chunk of their $$$ from their local Porsche dealership. If the local PCA makes the local dealership unhappy, they could lose a lot of funding. If your issue has nothing to do with the club, they're not going to deal with whatever your beef is with the dealership. So I don't understand why you think they should be your champion.

Have you contacted Porsche Cars of North America? They are better equipped to deal with the kind of issues you are hinting at.

And finally, it sounds like you had a bad experience with the purchase process. Have you poisoned the well so much that you don't feel comfortable taking your Porsche there for service work? Or did you raise such a stink that they banned you?

The best way to express your dislike with a dealership is to let your wallet do the talking. Either buy a different brand or buy a Porsche from some other dealer. The dealer here in OMA has sold Porsches to happy customers in almost every state in the continental US.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #22
Track rat

Garage
Troll post with a personal beef re: one dealership.

Protip: Choose a different dealership and move on with your life. Vague accusations and sour grapes on a car forum just make you look weak.

:chicken:
Old 11-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

Some practical advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschequestions View Post
I'm a long time Porsche owner and something has come to my attention in the Porsche community that concerns me greatly.

Recently, a new Porsche dealer has moved into our town of 5-6 million people and bought out all the other Porsche dealers and closed them, leaving us with only 1 Porsche dealership within 100 miles.

Several PCA members have had poor experiences with them already, myself included when I purchased a pre-owned Porsche. I don't want to get into specifics because it would reveal who I am to any local PCA members reading, but sufficient to say I'll be taking my porsche to the other dealership 100 miles away for service.
Sounds like a good path forward. If you don't like the dealer and if you feel the need to get the word out, then post the pertinent info to your own FB page (not someone else's) and then go somewhere else for purchase/repairs. End of story - right?

Quote:
When we expressed our grievances on the local PCA facebook page we were essentially told to shut up by the local PCA President, that we can not disparage a PCA sponsor. Now when Porsche owners post that they need service to the PCA facebook page, we recommend other non-Porsche shops and send them private messages telling them to avoid the only Porsche dealer in town.
PCA people are generally VERY helpful! Do you know the President of your region personally? If not, you should. Then go and talk with him and get his advice. Maybe he and the PCA aren't in position to do anything. And if he/she says that they can't help, thank them for their time and trust that they would help if they could. Calling someone corrupt just because they didn't do what you want them to do is slinging mud. Please don't go there. And trying to undermine the relationship between your Region and the local dealer is the wrong message when you're asking both of them to listen to your issues.

Quote:
The PCA President seems happily oblivious, cheerfully posting about how wonderful the new Porsche dealership is and schedules PCA meetings there several times a year.
It is entirely normal and expected for Region leadership to be working with the local dealer(s). Seems like the dealer is supporting the Region by hosting meetings several times a year. Not only can I not find fault here, but I would commend the Region President for doing a good job because that is what should be happening.

Quote:
I'm disappointed that the PCA has turned it's back on their paying members and instead bowed down to this new dealership that many PCA members are having serious problems with.
What exactly do you want the PCA to do? Please be EXACT. And please think about this before you hit the keyboard.

Have you tried to work out the issues with the dealership on your own? Did you speak to the sales manager or service manager? Did you ask to speak to the dealer manager?

Now, with all of the above information, what could the PCA do that you have not been able to accomplish on your own?

Do you really want the PCA to be your personal advocate? Remember, these folks are just plain old Porsche owners like the rest of us who volunteer their time and efforts. Are you really asking them to become consumer advocates on their own time? On what basis/knowledge/training would they do this?

Personally, I have found that the best way to get problems like this resolved is to go to the dealer in person, be polite and personable, know what you want them to do (within reason), and meet with the right person. You should be able to do this on your own.

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done? Besides giving up on Porsche?
Yes, go meet with the dealer and work out the issues. There is no reason to give up on Porsche because of a bad dealer experience. But if you think that you're going to change how the dealer "does business" you will probably be disappointed. The dealer has the right to legally operate however they want. And you have the right to go somewhere else if you don't like how they operate.

Quote:
p.s. I posted this on rennlist yesterday and admin deleted it within 4 hours, guess they're hiding corruption too which is unfortunate.
Complaining here about Rennlist doesn't help. If you have a beef with them, contact their admin. Just remember that we all exist on Forum's at the discretion of the admin's.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-13-2017 at 04:22 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
PCA is not tiny. Reaching out to the national organization is exactly what you should do. I'm also guessing that the local chapter doesn't want to piss off the only dealer in town because they'd lose a major partner for discounts and events.

More than anything I'm not sure what you expect any of us to do. This is a forum for cars that haven't been produced in 13 years. Most of us never see a dealership. Id hardly call this corruption though.
exactly right, they're deathly afraid of pissing off the only dealership

rennlist and 6speedonline already deleted the post. So much for "helpful"

Last edited by porschequestions; 11-15-2017 at 09:24 PM.
porschequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #25

I guess I'd like the PCA to disassociate themselves with the only porsche dealership in town until we get the issues many members are having with them resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Some practical advice...

Sounds like a good path forward. If you don't like the dealer and if you feel the need to get the word out, then post the pertinent info to your own FB page (not someone else's) and then go somewhere else for purchase/repairs. End of story - right?

PCA people are generally VERY helpful! Do you know the President of your region personally? If not, you should. Then go and talk with him and get his advice. Maybe he and the PCA aren't in position to do anything. And if he/she says that they can't help, thank them for their time and trust that they would help if they could. Calling someone corrupt just because they didn't do what you want them to do is slinging mud. Please don't go there. And trying to undermine the relationship between your Region and the local dealer is the wrong message when you're asking both of them to listen to your issues.

It is entirely normal and expected for Region leadership to be working with the local dealer(s). Seems like the dealer is supporting the Region by hosting meetings several times a year. Not only can I not find fault here, but I would commend the Region President for doing a good job because that is what should be happening.

What exactly do you want the PCA to do? Please be EXACT. And please think about this before you hit the keyboard.

Have you tried to work out the issues with the dealership on your own? Did you speak to the sales manager or service manager? Did you ask to speak to the dealer manager?

Now, with all of the above information, what could the PCA do that you have not been able to accomplish on your own?

Do you really want the PCA to be your personal advocate? Remember, these folks are just plain old Porsche owners like the rest of us who volunteer their time and efforts. Are you really asking them to become consumer advocates on their own time? On what basis/knowledge/training would they do this?

Personally, I have found that the best way to get problems like this resolved is to go to the dealer in person, be polite and personable, know what you want them to do (within reason), and meet with the right person. You should be able to do this on your own.

Yes, go meet with the dealer and work out the issues. There is no reason to give up on Porsche because of a bad dealer experience. But if you think that you're going to change how the dealer "does business" you will probably be disappointed. The dealer has the right to legally operate however they want. And you have the right to go somewhere else if you don't like how they operate.

Complaining here about Rennlist doesn't help. If you have a beef with them, contact their admin. Just remember that we all exist on Forum's at the discretion of the admin's.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
PCA is not tiny. Reaching out to the national organization is exactly what you should do. I'm also guessing that the local chapter doesn't want to piss off the only dealer in town because they'd lose a major partner for discounts and events.

More than anything I'm not sure what you expect any of us to do. This is a forum for cars that haven't been produced in 13 years. Most of us never see a dealership. Id hardly call this corruption though.
The Boxster is still in production. Only the 986 is no longer in production.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #27
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
The Boxster is still in production. Only the 986 is no longer in production.
And this is a 986 forum, not a Boxster forum, so...yeah.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 AM   #28

Quote:
I guess I'd like the PCA to disassociate themselves with the only porsche dealership in town until we get the issues many members are having with them resolved.
You're barking up the wrong tree. Your PCA group is not likely to do this for the reasons already stated.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you and your friends need to work with PCNA. They are going to be more interested in your issue. Here's a quote from their website:

"Established in 1984, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany. PCNA employs approximately 300 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 189 dealers. They in turn, work to provide Porsche customers with best-in-class experience."

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/porschecarsnorthamerica/aboutporschecarsnorthamerica/

I think you'll have better traction working with PCNA, not PCA.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #29

In 2015, there was a push by Porsche to close about 5 to 7 redundant dealerships. I know the one in Fayetteville NC (much smaller area than OP's described but a lot of Army and AF personnel rotating from overseas) went away probably in 2016. I went to them for service once maybe 8 years ago but there were few P-cars around and it was more a Mercedes shop.

Why close them? Because it costs money in demos, parts, literature, signage etc would be my guess.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
In 2015, there was a push by Porsche to close about 5 to 7 redundant dealerships. I know the one in Fayetteville NC (much smaller area than OP's described but a lot of Army and AF personnel rotating from overseas) went away probably in 2016. I went to them for service once maybe 8 years ago but there were few P-cars around and it was more a Mercedes shop.

Why close them? Because it costs money in demos, parts, literature, signage etc would be my guess.
Yes, this happened a few years ago
Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #31

I'm a new franchised dealer for a different make, and a former Porsche dealer manager. I've also worked in dealer development.

1) One dealer doesn't buy out "all the other dealers", shut them down as they are profit centers.
2) This story is too vague.
3) What was the issue?
I deal with issues where the customer is totally unreasonable and has unrealistic expectations.

Tell us more or delete this thread.
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #32
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Ok, this is progress.

Now, let's assume that the PCA did what you asked. What exactly would you like the dealer to do to make you happy?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote