Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Garage
New light recomendation

Ok some of you have saw the video of my WGI accident here is the result. so I need a new tail light. The bumper cover is ordered but I'm thinking of a set of the Depo lights. So in the past, I've tried some Led lamps but they stop working after a days use? I'll put in the regular bulb operate the brake light or turn signals install the Led lamp again and they stop after a couple cycles.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Throw some red and silver tape on that sucker. But really I would just get a new used one. The stock ones look the best in my opinion.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Not taillights ...but

I love the wheels
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
I've had DEPO Tail lights on my 2003 S for a couple of years now and they work great. Not a single issue with them. They are much brighter then the stock lights.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:11 AM   #5

I have DEPO tail lights on mine as well. It's only the brake and fog lights that are LEDs. If you want a complete LED setup, you have to switch some bulbs as well. I did that, but unfortunately I bought cheap chinese ones, and the left indicator LED broke after a few months. The brake lights are nice and bright, though.

I'm condisdering replacing the third brake light to a LED one as well.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I agree with Tommy. Find an OEM replacement and keep the style you have now.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

Garage
The originals look great, but if you go that route, I would make the insurance company buy you two new ones so that they match. I have had my DEPO lights for going on 4 years without issue.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
The originals look great, but if you go that route, I would make the insurance company buy you two new ones so that they match. I have had my DEPO lights for going on 4 years without issue.
This was a track incident so the track insurance deductible is 10% of the agreed value or about $2000.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 10-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I agree with Tommy. Find an OEM replacement and keep the style you have now.
Looking at $173 for a used OE left tail light or $176 for 2 new depo 's. Priced w/free shipping from ebay.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
This was a track incident so the track insurance deductible is 10% of the agreed value or about $2000.
In that case, the DEPO's are tough to beat!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Looking at $173 for a used OE left tail light or $176 for 2 new depo 's. Priced w/free shipping from ebay.
Don't think of it as 1 or 2. For the same price you can be whole again and trust me when I say that OEM looks best in person. I've had your current tail lights, the original amber version, Depo and Dectane tail lights (every type available for the 986).
In person, the Depo and Dectane look kind of cheap (no offense to anyone...I currently have the Dectane installed).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 AM   #12

DEPO are really very good value for money. Can be tricky to mount, though, but worth the effort.

fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote