Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #1

Airbag light reset

I was trying to fix the window regulator and I disconnected the airbag and reset the battery. Now the airbag light is on. From all the research I've done on how to reset the light, you need a durametric tool to do this.
Can anybody in the northern Virginia or DMV area that has one help me out.
Does anyone know how much the dealer would charge for a reset?

Thanks

LuckyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Garage
I'm in the same position. And in the same area. If you find someone could I piggy back on your fix if you find one?
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #3

sorry I am on the other coast.

I had to clear that code today with the Durametric.......and I had to do it when I replaced the window regulator a few weeks ago.

Invest in a Durametric...I love mine
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Hi guys. Follow this thread.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69470-autel-md802-vs-durametric-side-side-comparison.html
For the best of my knowledge, the Autel can clear the airbag light with no issue, but we will let P-wave confirm that.
I personally Owen the Durametric, but the problem it is limited to 3 VIN's only. So it will be a problem to find someone to lend you one.
I for an example, already used all three.
With that said, I mostly use it to read/clear cods, clear airbag light, and run a periodically cam deviation readings.
If the Autel can do that, then it's a better buy for the average guy,in my opinion.
It's not limited to 3 VIN's, and can be used on other none porsche vehicles.

Last edited by Meir; 10-13-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Hi guys. Follow this thread.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69470-autel-md802-vs-durametric-side-side-comparison.html
For the best of my knowledge, the Autel can clear the airbag light with no issue, but we will let P-wave confirm that.
I personally Owen the Durametric, but the problem it is limited to 3 VIN's only. So it will be a problem to find someone to lend you one.
I for an example, already used all three.
With that said, I mostly use it to read/clear cods, clear airbag light, and run a periodically cam deviation readings.
If the Autel can do that, then it's a better buy for the average guy,in my opinion.
It's not limited to 3 VIN's, and can be used on other none porsche vehicles.
In my case, Durametric did not work to reset airbag light... so I returned it for full refund and got Autel, it works great! Reset it twice after fixing to seatbelt buckle and clockspring issues.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion. Autel MD802 seems to be significantly cheaper, I will check that out.
LuckyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #7

I cleared mine with that same Autel reader. I am somewhat local to you guys and have a durametric cable, but it is the enthusiast version. Limited to 3 VINs.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #8

Garage
Swhitcomb - yes, I am aware of the 3 vehicle limit on the enthusiast version of the durametric. Was hoping to find someone with either the pro version or the Autel device to save a workday trip just to get the airbag light turned off
Old 10-24-2017, 06:13 AM   #9

If you can’t find someone let me know and I’ll clear it. I’m having issues with my immobilizer and would be curious to play with durametric on a not broken one.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swhitcomb View Post
If you can’t find someone let me know and I’ll clear it. I’m having issues with my immobilizer and would be curious to play with durametric on a not broken one.
Thanks for the kind offer. If I plan a fall drive to WV i will make arrangements. Bit of a go though!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #11

I work in your area. I could stop by one afternoon.

Also, Ranson is only about an hour away from chantilly on a day with no traffic. You in 20151 or 52?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #12

Garage
Other side of the city, the Maryland side so 20815. But I may still take you up on the offer. Throw some dates at me. And I'd be happy to let you scan my immobilizer. (2003 986S)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #13

Smile Autel AL619

Sorry, I don't hang out on the P orsche boards much.

I have an Autel AL619 that I got from Ama-zon for 97 somthing bucks. It cleared the airbag lite no problem and is a rather nice generic hand held scanner. Even comes with a balistic nylon case to keep it together and safe.

4 stars, especially for the price tag.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Other side of the city, the Maryland side so 20815. But I may still take you up on the offer. Throw some dates at me. And I'd be happy to let you scan my immobilizer. (2003 986S)
My fault for not paying attention. The OP was in Chantilly. Sorry. Weekends usually work best. I work in and around Chantilly. In fact, I was just there today.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:40 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swhitcomb View Post
My fault for not paying attention. The OP was in Chantilly. Sorry. Weekends usually work best. I work in and around Chantilly. In fact, I was just there today.
If you're willing to reset my light and want access to my immobilized let me know when you'd be in chantilly and want to try this.

CB
Old 10-26-2017, 04:31 AM   #16

My durametric will not clear the light, even though no fault codes are found in the airbag module.

very frustrating.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
My durametric will not clear the light, even though no fault codes are found in the airbag module.

very frustrating.
Normally, no system will be able to clear the code until the fault is fixed. What code are you getting?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #18

I removed the door airbags and put in the appropriate resistors. no fault codes are reflected.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I removed the door airbags and put in the appropriate resistors. no fault codes are reflected.
Well, apparently the system doesn't like it. Either you have an open circuit or the wrong resisters.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Well, apparently the system doesn't like it. Either you have an open circuit or the wrong resisters.
Off topic, do you have a shop, or are you just an enthusiast? My car has immobilizer issues, and PA is close. Would love to have someone as knowledgeable as you look at it.