Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Was cleaning throttle body, accidentally broke this tiny tube that no one talks about

I've only been able to find it on 1 diagram and in none of the instructional videos online, so I have no idea what it is. Maybe a vent tube?

Anyone know if it's crucial? There are 2, one in each side and it appears to come from the fuel rail?

https://imgur.com/a/y4UsT

Last edited by chromecarz00; 10-08-2017 at 09:19 PM.
chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #2

its a vacuum tube, i believe that one goes to the vacuum canister. Will be a vacuum leak with it disconnected.

The other side goes to the fuel pressure regulator if memory serves.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromecarz00 View Post
... Anyone know if it's crucial? There are 2, one in each side and it appears to come from the fuel rail?
That looks like the line that connects the intake to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail (left front). The intake provides vacuum to regulate the pressure. (B) to (C) in the second picture.

The other vacuum hose connecting to the intake provides for a few functions depending on the year and transmission: Secondary air injection system activation, resonance flapper valve activation, and Tiptronic transmission cooling.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

That's what I was afraid of, a vacuum tube. Any ideas on how to fix or replace? I can't even find out for sale anywhere
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Garage
All auto parts stores have them. Best are high temperature silicone. Rubber less so.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
All auto parts stores have them. Best are high temperature silicone. Rubber less so.
Yes. I recently broke one of the ones on the other side. I think the parts store had 3/16" that fit. 1/8th" is too small. Take a piece of it with you to the parts shop.

Getting at the other end where it attaches may be the hardest part.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

you're right, i cant find where it attaches on the right side...98 non s, manual transmission- any ideas? left one is attached albeit a little loose
Old 10-10-2017, 03:32 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromecarz00 View Post
you're right, i cant find where it attaches on the right side...98 non s, manual transmission- any ideas? left one is attached albeit a little loose
The's a number of articles on PelicanParts this one might help Porsche Boxster Fuel Injector Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
In Figure 1 the purple arrow points to the pressure regulator which is item C in the image that 78F350 posted.

I haven't yet dug around for this on mine but it's likely under the air box on the left side. Try google for "boxster 986 fuel pressure regulator" for more
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

I found where it's attached. Now I cant find the little part that came out. *rollseyes*

Anyone have a part number? It's from the vacuum source to the "y"

Can't find on any diagrams either

Or can I just use the 3/16" tube? Will it fit in the vacuum hose?