Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

What is this hose??? and few other things

New owner 03 Boxster 5spd 72900 miles. there is no service history. I did my oil change this past saturday used Mob. 1 0w-40 took 9 qts of oil.
while had the car up on lift I checked out the engine and saw following things:

1: small oil dropping bottom of the engine where it mount to trans. Does the oil leak look like leaking from rear main seal?

2: both left & right inner axle shaft inner boot to trans. clamp is on the boot right side worse than left. I didn't see any tear on the inner boot. there is some grease that spattered on the right side front of the boot to engine. I can turn the inner boot easily with my hand again the clamp is on the boot there's some grease as you can see from the photo coming out. I shouldn't be able to turn the boot with my hand right? is inner boot clamp even though is on the boot worn and should I replace the clamp?

3: i'm guessing the top hose is coolant hose. The hose below the coolant hose looks like was leaking at some point and the leak as you can see hardended. What hose is the hose below coolant hose what can this hardened stuff be?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me.

JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #2

You have a coolant leak, likely a bad water pump. They are known to fail on these. That is your biggest problem, the oil and axles are fairly common as well and won't cause problems in the near future, that water pump however will leave you high and dry so I recommend getting a new water pump and T-Stat.
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
You have a coolant leak, likely a bad water pump. They are known to fail on these. That is your biggest problem, the oil and axles are fairly common as well and won't cause problems in the near future, that water pump however will leave you high and dry so I recommend getting a new water pump and T-Stat.
Ok so the leak dropping that is hardened is that part of the water pump ? .I have been driving the car often that leak doesn't look fresh looks old.

I cleaned off the excess oil leak you say oil leak and axle boot grease leak is common. I will have to keep an eye on both. I may replace the clamp with one of those aftermarket one you tighten by screw driver. Do you think oil leak is coming from rear main seal??? Thats the only place I can think of or could it be from oil filler tube? I have photo of the oil filler tube looks very wet and leaking. Fourth photo is photo of the oil filler tube as you can see tube is pretty wet.
Thanks for the reply

Last edited by JOC IN IL; 10-02-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #4

The oil leak is either the rear main seal or the intermediate shaft bearing, both of which can be serious and required taking out the transmission to diagnose the problem. And if you get to that point, then you probably just want to replace the rear main seal, the intermediate shaft bearing and the clutch at that time.

I second the diagnosis of a bad water pump and the leaking CV joint boots are easily fixed by replacing the original clamps with worm style radiator hose clamps.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
The oil leak is either the rear main seal or the intermediate shaft bearing, both of which can be serious and required taking out the transmission to diagnose the problem. And if you get to that point, then you probably just want to replace the rear main seal, the intermediate shaft bearing and the clutch at that time.

I second the diagnosis of a bad water pump and the leaking CV joint boots are easily fixed by replacing the original clamps with worm style radiator hose clamps.
I hope not leaking at the intermediate shaft bearing I hope it's the rear main seal. I know my car has 10% IMS bearing failure rate and my vin does fall under the defective IMS failure from Porsche. Looks like IMS bearing is original bearing on my car. Now I'm even more worried of the infamous IMS bearing failure.

Maybe time to try to sell the car..... But I do love the car but I'm not mechanically inclined and it cost too much to fix car problems as it arises at a shop.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

Did you examine the oil filter for debris. If there is no metal then the IMSB is probably ok. But I would still drop the tranny
If you have a lift it's really pretty easy to drop the tranny.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Did you examine the oil filter for debris. If there is no metal then the IMSB is probably ok. But I would still drop the tranny
If you have a lift it's really pretty easy to drop the tranny.
I will examine the oil filter this weekend and see there's metal shavings. I will post the photo here. My work has a lift but it's 25 miles away no way i will be able to drop tranny and do the work over the weekend. Probably take me a week to do this and have never done this let alone on Porsche. I will have the shop do the IMS bearing and rear main seal when the clutch need replacing. Although clutch feels solid and may have been replaced already. If clutch was replaced then I would have to make a decision when I'm going to have the IMS bearing and rear main seal replaced sooner maybe at 90k miles.