Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

Garage
Water hose

I'm driving a 2000 Boxster. On a trip yesterday I kept hearing a faint hum periodically. When I reached our destination I heard a decided POP and as I pulled into a parking place all my coolant rushed out at my rrear tire on passenger side. After having towed to home and gaining access o engine compartment my serpentine belt had desintigrated.
Just. Had belt replaced last year with new wate pump etc. I can't tell whic hose burst but thought it odd that belt blows and so does one of the hoses.
Any tips on finding bad hose. Or could the waterpump have caused the leak? I see no puddles/drops of coolant anywhere.

Last edited by JFlowers; 09-18-2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Left out make and model and year
JFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
You may not have a bad hose. The coolant expansion tank in the trunk has an over-pressure valve that drains coolant through a small hose that exits near the right rear wheel. After the belt broke, your car started to build up pressure from the lack of coolant circulation and dumped coolant out the drain. You need to find out why the one-year-old belt broke. One of the pulleys may have a failed bearing. Check to make sure that they all turn smoothly - Alternator, AC Compressor, Idler pulleys, and belt tensioner.

Last edited by 78F350; 09-18-2017 at 07:27 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks for your help. Finally gave up the ghost and took it to a shop. The alternator clutch had frozen and that led to the belt failing. As you mentioned, the extra pressure cracked the overflow tank. So it is being replaced. Your advice was spot on. Thanks
Jim

JFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote