Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 AM   #1

Garage
Glass in top not sitting properly

2003 Boxster S

This just happened yesterday. If you look at the pic you see that the glass has developed a new fold at the bottom. Any thoughts on fixing it? I'm tempted to go out and put the top in the service position to see if I can pop the glass up as soon as it stops raining , but I hope I don't have to do this every time.

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #2

It looks like the bottom edge of the top is coming loose from where it is secured around the bottom frame under the clam shell. That's why you can see the seam and the dirt that has accumulated on the bottom edge of the top that used to be under the clamshell. As an owner of another 2003 S I'll be curious to find out what it is too. Good Luck and please let us know!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

I fixed mine yesterday. Put 3m exterior 2 sided tape (with the orange outer strip) on the section of the top frame and then pulled the top down and stuck it to the frame. It seemed to work but I suspect it is not a long term solution. Others have said to use fabric glue.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

Garage
Yeah, I just went out and looked at it and the top has definitely separated from the frame there.

When you repaired this with the 3M tape did you undo the entire top or just separate it in the middle where it seems to be under the most stress?

I assume clean the dirt out, buff it lightly to get a solid surface for the tape to adhere, then solvent clean the area where the tape goes and stretch it out.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

I used a thin (width) tape and put 2 runs of it (it layed over the frame but I think it gave more area to stick to) cleaned the dirt used a small brush to scrub a little and then ran the tape as far to each side as needed. Mine was a pretty long run mayby 80% of the straight part of the frame. That's why I am concerned about longevity...too much of the roof pulling on the tape. I also tried not to pull the tape to avoid the tape trying to pull back. Used a little roller to roll the tape to try to make sure it stuck.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

Garage
Ok Just watched a video on removing and replacing a boxster convertible top. Not that I'm planning on doing all that, just wanted to better understand how it all works.

My first question is whether the gasket has any part in holding the fabric down, or does all the holding come from the 3M tape?

And second, do I have take the rubber gasket off to place the tape on the bottom side of the roof rail or will i be able to place the tape without getting it stuck to the gasket?

Last edited by Cbonilla; 08-15-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Well...I think that if it repaired correctly the rubber gasket on the roof side is supposed to wrap around the top frame and the ridges in the gasket go in the slots on the frame. I never got the rubber part to go into any of the frame part so I use just the tape. That is why I am not sure it is a long lived repair. I just didn't want to mess with glues (that I get everywhere) or paying someone to do it.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I used 3M 06348 tape on mine - very sticky and also very thin (not foam tape).

I used Mike Focke's directions for the rear bow.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #9

Garage
The video I watched use 3M 06384 tape, 1/2" wide as the only adhesive for this area. The tape was placed to that it was on both faces of the frame, what I couldn't see was if the gasket had a role in holding the fabric in place. I may have too watch that video again (even though it was for a vinyl window roof, this section of the top seemed identical

Remove top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lnVZYCdfDk
Replace top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40BXEt07fGU#t=418.668106

I'm thinking that a long term fix requires that you remove the gasket(s), tape the top down, and reinstall the gaskets?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
I'm thinking that a long term fix requires that you remove the gasket(s), tape the top down, and reinstall the gaskets?
It's definitely much easier to do with the bottom gasket out of the way - and also if you have a second set of hands to help.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
It's definitely much easier to do with the bottom gasket out of the way - and also if you have a second set of hands to help.
On rewatching the youtube links I posted it seems that the arrangement is small gasket, spline, big gasket. I'm of the opinion that I only need to remove the big gasket (the outermost one) and then clean the mounting surfaces, tape and fold & stretch the top down over the two rows of tape. Then reinsert the big gasket. Weather and Amazon permitting that's how I'll be spending my saturday morning.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #12

Garage
This was a frustrating job. P put the top in the service position and evaluated. The bonding that held the top to frame had failed and there was no way to get the top back under the big gasket.

DO NOT DO AS I DID.

Remembering how easily the guy on the youtube video had re-inserted the gasket, I pulled it out completely. Whatever you do don't do this. I struggled for a few hours to get the gasket back in and then gave up. Today I tried again. A little soapy water on the gasket didn't help. Boiling the gasket to soften it up didn't help. Hammenring it didn't do anything. Putty knife didn't help. Finally in desperation I used a 3" C clamp to force it in. That worked, but I could have used three hands in the corners. Find an alternative to removing the big gasket whatever you do

I suspect a new top is in my future as I'm afraid to lower it.

Anyone have experience with AutoTops Direct? And did you have any luck in finding an installer to put it in?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #13

the glue gave at the bottom. Mine did the same.
You put the top up a little to relieve tension. Lift the backside out a little where the glue gave...wipe with alcohol. Put a 1 inch wide 3m VHS double sided tape and reseal like it was before.
I've been through very hot/cold and heavy rain. It has held without the tape giving. You have to make sure you get the real 3m VHS. The tape holds rear spoilers up to 175mph+ so I dont' see the tape giving anytime soon
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
the glue gave at the bottom. Mine did the same.
You put the top up a little to relieve tension. Lift the backside out a little where the glue gave...wipe with alcohol. Put a 1 inch wide 3m VHS double sided tape and reseal like it was before.
I've been through very hot/cold and heavy rain. It has held without the tape giving. You have to make sure you get the real 3m VHS. The tape holds rear spoilers up to 175mph+ so I dont' see the tape giving anytime soon

I used 3M 06384 tape, shown in the attached pic. Was this the tape you had in mind?

Didn't feel too confident in the adhesion between the top and fabric flap it was formerly attached to. Maybe I didn't clean it well enough?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #15

iirc it's 3m vhb 5952? It's black/grey in color.
It needs to be 70 degrees+ and 3 days to fully cure...something like that
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
iirc it's 3m vhb 5952? It's black/grey in color.
It needs to be 70 degrees+ and 3 days to fully cure...something like that
I'll keep that in mind when/if my repair fails