Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #1

'01 Boxster S Top Won't Go Up

Not a big issue this time of year, however, my top was working fine and when I went to put it up after a drive there was no action when I pressed the dashboard switch- no sounds of any kind. No signs of any issues prior and both fuses are good. Any thoughts on how to start the troubleshooting process or others' experiences with the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing some of your fund of knowledge of these fun but sometimes needy cars!
Bob

rjusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If there is no response at all to the switch, the first thing I'd check is the parking brake switch. With the brake on, is the "PARK" light illuminated on the instrument cluster?

Last edited by 78F350; 07-21-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Correction "PARK"
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

No PARK Light Either...

Thanks- I checked that out and when you power on ignition and all idiot lights light up the PARK light does but I do notice that once car is started with e-brake lever engaged that PARK light is not illuminated as normally it is. Sounds like the e-brake switch, any tips on parts suppliers for that? I'll check the service manual on access. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
"Park", Thats what I meant, not "Brake". I'll correct the other post.

With mine, I managed to pull out the ash tray/window switch panel and poke the switch/wires enough to get it to work. I got by like that for a couple weeks until I finally fixed it.

The repair is pretty straight forward. Remove the center console and replace the switch. Here's a reference for the center console removal:
Porsche Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) Installation and Shift Bushing Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Here's the part:
Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

Thanks again

Part is on the way from Pelican- easy on the wallet too
Old 07-26-2017, 04:03 AM   #6
Luckyed

Garage
When my switch broke I took the more expensive route by replacing the convertible top module with a Comfort Top version and bypassed the bad switch.