Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

What is a VIN? And why do we need it?

Hello everyone,

Not so far I found that each car has its own number which called VIN. I looked through some sources, where was said it disclosed vehicle's features. But I didn't find what I need it for.

Does anybody know?

Last edited by Coolitek; 07-20-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Coolitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #2

A VIN number is essentially, a serial number. It identifies the vehicle and much of it's configuration. Not all but most of it. With it, you can determine what the vehicle sold with originally, not what it does have now. It also serves as a sort of record of ownership. In boats and aircraft, this same number would be a hull number.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #3

Hi,

Good question
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a code that contains essential characteristics of a certain car. More detailed information you can find here. There are lots of services with the help of which you can learn the data on your vehicle. For example, http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history.php, https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck, https://www.carfax.eu/free-vin-decoder or any other you like.

The main purpose of VIN is to make vehicle identification. With the help of VIN checking you can find out a general information on your car, its history (records, damages, recalls, etc.) and many other information. You need the VIN for searching the right spare parts as well.

Hope I was able to answer your questions. If you have something else to ask, don't hesitate!

Last edited by Cyclong; 07-24-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Cyclong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #4

I see. So with the help of VIN I can know the data on previous owners, right? Where I can do it? Is there any special service?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolitek View Post
I see. So with the help of VIN I can know the data on previous owners, right? Where I can do it? Is there any special service?
Carfax and Autocheck are two commonly used services.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #6

Thanks for information!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

Well, when your state motor vehicle department issues you a license plate it's only valid for one vehicle ... you can't use it on multiple vehicles or any vehicle you want. They make this association using your vehicle identification number. Your question is about the same as asking why you need a number on your house or apartment.

In addition there are Federal laws enabling the government to require a vehicle be recalled to fix an emissions or safety problem ... manufacturers identify applicable vehicles via VIN. And they find your address (and your house number) to send you a recall notification letter by associating your address with your registration by VIN.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 07-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolitek View Post
Hello everyone,

Not so far I found that each car has its own number which called VIN. I looked through some sources, where was said it disclosed vehicle's features. But I didn't find what I need it for.

Does anybody know?
By far its biggest use is in identifying which parts are in the car. We cannot order replacement parts from a dealer for any car without the last 8 digits of the VIN. the factory keeps updating the cars during the model year, and parts change, so without the VIN, you may have to choose from 3 or 4 parts that are not interchangeable, and often not returnable.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Carfax and Autocheck are two commonly used services.
And neither are particularly accurate.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #10

The VIN is also necessary to insure the car - any insurance company will want to make sure the car you are insuring is what you tell them it is, and they will want to verify that the car wasn't previously totaled, or if it has a salvage title that the car was adequately and properly repaired. And if the car is stolen, the police will use the VIN to investigate the crime and return the car to you or your insurance company (if they compensated you already and don't want the car back) if it is subsequently recovered.

Last edited by PaulE; 07-21-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling correction
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote