Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

CEL Codes 0150 1130 1133 after engine replacement

I'll give an update in the other thread regarding my Vertex replacement engine, but I wanted to ask for a bit of help separately.

Got my car back this afternoon after replacement of the engine, as well as all new coils, clutch and some other odds and ends. The shop had but a good few miles on it to confirm all was well, and I picked it up running fine.

Had to leave for a 150 mile trip just after getting the car, but only made it to the first gas stop (about 40 miles out) before the CEL came on. Went to the nearest Advance Auto to borrow their OBDII scanner, and it caught codes 0150, 1130 and 1133. Reset them, wondering if it wasn't something residual from all the recent work. We drove another 80 or so miles, during which the car ran fine, had power, etc. I did notice rich exhaust when we stopped for intersections a couple of times, as well as a rather gravelly idle.

So now I'm in Greensboro, NC, where there appears to be only one Porsche-appropriate shop that's open on Saturdays, and I don't have any previous experience with them.

Any ideas what might be going on here? I didn't find any past reports of these three codes showing up together, though it looks like they could be O2 sensors or an intake leak on bank 2. Thanks for any thoughts.

AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #2

Garage
One hell of a shakedown cruise!! Your code 0150 indicates the pre cat 02 sensor bank 2 has shorted or limited response. This would likely cause AFR problems resulting in the rich limit codes. Wiring may have been pinched during engine R&R?

Last edited by 911monty; 07-14-2017 at 07:13 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

Deep breaths! Im sure you're gun shy but...

I've not seem your codes so I won't comment on them other to say that your car is running. Get home and sort out the issues then.

Not the same but a few years back we put a '90 Jeep together for my not quite 16 year old. I'd never done this before but we kind of did it as a father/son project. My son was very helpful and so excited to drive it out of the garage. He wanted to go show it off in the neighborhood to his buddies so I let him.
10 minute later, he calls to tell me the Jeep is completely dead at his friends house. My worst nightmare...
Turns out, for whatever reason, the Jeep blew a fuseable link. I didn't even know what it was as I'd never had a vehicle with that kind of protection device. I replaced the link, hoping to just drive the car home and figure out what the heck was wrong with it.

It never did it again.

Cars need some shake down time after the kind of major work you had performed. It'll get sorted....you'll be fine!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
I'll give an update in the other thread regarding my Vertex replacement engine, but I wanted to ask for a bit of help separately.

Got my car back this afternoon after replacement of the engine, as well as all new coils, clutch and some other odds and ends. The shop had but a good few miles on it to confirm all was well, and I picked it up running fine.

Had to leave for a 150 mile trip just after getting the car, but only made it to the first gas stop (about 40 miles out) before the CEL came on. Went to the nearest Advance Auto to borrow their OBDII scanner, and it caught codes 0150, 1130 and 1133. Reset them, wondering if it wasn't something residual from all the recent work. We drove another 80 or so miles, during which the car ran fine, had power, etc. I did notice rich exhaust when we stopped for intersections a couple of times, as well as a rather gravelly idle.

So now I'm in Greensboro, NC, where there appears to be only one Porsche-appropriate shop that's open on Saturdays, and I don't have any previous experience with them.

Any ideas what might be going on here? I didn't find any past reports of these three codes showing up together, though it looks like they could be O2 sensors or an intake leak on bank 2. Thanks for any thoughts.
Yes there is - check Renntech
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/42272-seeking-help-from-experienced-porsche-986-owners/?_fromLogin=1
Suggest you buy a cheapo code reader to keep following.
Dont worry about" Readiness"and SAI related codes for now.That is a Smog Test problem, not a get you home problem.
The over-rich condition could damage the cats so get the vacuum leaks(??) fixed quickly. That could be easy if the tech knows how to use propane . If not it can be a long process of tedious checking because there are so many potential points of leakage.
Good luck .
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #5

Thanks, y'all. My preference is to get it home, where my trusted shop can handle it, but my concern is that the rich running (150 miles up, and then another 150 back) is going to do in a cat.

I'll see if the local shop can take a look today -- but will head home and hope for the best if not.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

The car went to a shop in Greensboro this morning, called Eurobahn. Despite me showing up unannounced on their short day, they got it in and called to let me know that all four O2 sensors were producing errors. Miraculously, they had the parts immediately available and time to do the repair.

So I picked the car up in the early afternoon, ran a few errands and drove the 150-odd miles back to Columbia. No more CEL; no unburned fuel smell and an even idle (along with much less movement in the gas needle on the way back).

The shop was great, and I was relieved to find that it wasn't a problem with the engine replacement. Eurobahn said all four sensors appeared to be original, and 16 years is definitely a good run for an O2 sensor.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, and I wanted to close this one up with an outcome -- since the threads that peter out without an update on the actual diagnosis and repair aren't all that useful to those who find them later.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Garage
Glad everything worked out so well. Thanks especially for the follow up cause you're right the threads that end with no solution are about worthless.

Hmmmm Damn mine are of that vintage.........Great.

Last edited by 911monty; 07-15-2017 at 06:30 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote