Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #1

Oil leak

Went under the car today and found this area wet with oil. New to boxsters. Ideas?

Medsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

Garage
Common area for leak. I have the same issue that started with my previous oil change last winter. I didn't see it from my most recent change (week ago) after a 150 mile drive
First is to determine if it is coming from somewhere above and ending up there
Otherwise you may find it is coming from the Transmission/engine joint.
That is where mine comes from but only after I drive it.
I'm going with a leaking RMS, as it only happens after I drive it, never from just sitting. The RMS is much higher and does not sit in sump oil
It could also be the IMSB plate that has 'O' ring seals and a Bolt. I am thinking that if this is the source of the leak, it would leak even sitting as this sits lower and I believe partially sits in standing sump oil
Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

So the IMS and RMS were changed out about 5k mikes ago. Only 40 k on the motor. Thhe leak was found 24 hrs later after just letting the the car idle for about 5 min due to a battery issue. There was only a few drops worth.
Medsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsurf View Post
So the IMS and RMS were changed out about 5k mikes ago. Only 40 k on the motor. Thhe leak was found 24 hrs later after just letting the the car idle for about 5 min due to a battery issue. There was only a few drops worth.
If the installer was not meticulous with the new RMS depth ,it may leak. We've covered the precise cause/remedy in previous Posts.
If it deteriorates it may contaminate the clutch .We could get into that but you did not supply details of your car
Are you sure it is engine oil and not hydraulic fluid or gearbox oil?

Last edited by Gelbster; 07-14-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsurf View Post
If the installer did not set the RMS at the correct depth, got it cocked, or used sealant on the RMS, it will leak.