Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #1

Headlight refresh.

Just redid my lenses. I used 650 then 1500 then 2000 grit wet/dry and then DupliColor Clear enamel. This was my 3rd time refinishing headlights and if you use the clear then be prepared to wetsand and buff the clear as there was alot of orange peel which affected the light out put as you can see from the pics. I will be wetsanding this week and polishing. Also, the amber lenses were resprayed using Krylon Stain Glass paint in Tangerine...Perfect match!!!
P.S. Excuse the rushed photos and dirt. I had not driven car in almost 3 weeks as I ran over something and cracked the oil pan. Decided to do the headlights while waiting. Better photos to come after wetsanding is done.

redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #2

Very nice!

I've done mine (and others) using 800 up to 4000 and then polish. It was always a big improvement.

But...
A couple years back, I had a BMW in at an Indy AC repair shop and the guy had some before/after examples of headlights using a 3M kit he had. I ended up taking a flyer and had him do my wife's 2004 350Z Roadster (which I had previously done, but needed redoing). He charged $100 but they looked brand new. I was so impressed, I removed my Boxster's headlight assemblies and dropped them off. Same thing! I can't believe that his kit worked so much better than what I had done.

Its been two years and my headlights still look great. We just sold the 350z, which sat outside, and the lights still looked good (but had degraded slightly).

The 3M kit the indy had was not the same as what we can buy in the local auto parts store.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Garage
I did this last winter using a kit
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65455-headlight-restore.html
Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Very nice!

I've done mine (and others) using 800 up to 4000 and then polish. It was always a big improvement.

But...
A couple years back, I had a BMW in at an Indy AC repair shop and the guy had some before/after examples of headlights using a 3M kit he had. I ended up taking a flyer and had him do my wife's 2004 350Z Roadster (which I had previously done, but needed redoing). He charged $100 but they looked brand new. I was so impressed, I removed my Boxster's headlight assemblies and dropped them off. Same thing! I can't believe that his kit worked so much better than what I had done.

Its been two years and my headlights still look great. We just sold the 350z, which sat outside, and the lights still looked good (but had degraded slightly).

The 3M kit the indy had was not the same as what we can buy in the local auto parts store.
I did my wife's CLK350 with Meguiar's and was really pleased with it. Oddly enough only one headlight was yellowing. Been over a year and I can see the yellowing appearing back. I will look up 3m because honestly, it's alot of work sanding headlights.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Very Nice work indeed.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I used the Sylvania kit also. Amazing results.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote