Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
bmussatti

Wheel Weights

On our Porsche wheels, the wheel weights are weighted pads that are stuck on...right?

Well, how are these taken off and replaced? And do all tire places have them or only Porsche dealers?

Mercedes Benz uses a unique wheel weight too (my wife's car is an 2001 E320 4 Matic). I think only MD offers this weight. Right?

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #2

They use just the stick on lead weights. Most any tire shop should have them, even Wal-mart has them. They are attached with double sided foam tape. Just peel off, and clean the residue.
blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #3

There are variations on the weights. They can be chrome or low-profile. But all wheels require them.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #4

Wheel weights are typically .25g each and are mounted to double sided foam tape. Those who track their cars might notice that on the front wheels the forces and heat move or remove the typical wheel weights. I have to use duct tape over them to keep them from shifting toward the inside of the wheel or coming off altogether.

Any wheel/tire place has these weights, and you don't want to remove them unless you want to shimmy while you drive. If that's your thing, go for it.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #5

Glad to hear this - thought it might have been the wheel cleaner (P21s)! After a track event (more specifically the clean up after it) I noticed several weights were loose. I'm going to have to find another solution, as I don't have dedicated track wheels and duct tape will look "less polished" than I'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
Wheel weights are typically .25g each and are mounted to double sided foam tape. Those who track their cars might notice that on the front wheels the forces and heat move or remove the typical wheel weights. I have to use duct tape over them to keep them from shifting toward the inside of the wheel or coming off altogether.

Any wheel/tire place has these weights, and you don't want to remove them unless you want to shimmy while you drive. If that's your thing, go for it.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
Glad to hear this - thought it might have been the wheel cleaner (P21s)! After a track event (more specifically the clean up after it) I noticed several weights were loose. I'm going to have to find another solution, as I don't have dedicated track wheels and duct tape will look "less polished" than I'd like.
Wurth motorsports makes a sort of turbo-sticky-weight for wheels that are used in motorsport, but we haven't been able to get through to them and setup an account to buy them. Sure wish we could...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote