Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #1

Sold my Box

Well guys, I sold my boxster this morning. I really loved the car but I kind of figured out that I am not going to be driving it as much as I wanted to and it pretty much stays in the garage about 80 percent of the time, a garage queen mind you. So I opted for a more practical car and bought this---->

Yep, an '06 Cayenne S nicely packaged with all the options I could ever want. You see the dealership had me at "Would you like to drive it?" The Boxster was an awesome car and I had not one problem with it, I sold it with 5600 miles on it to a real nice buyer whom I know will treat it with as much love as I did. I am not leaving the forum though. I love to read about everything Porsche and who knows, maybe I will get another 987 someday!

05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #2

Awesome ! I must say, if you need to get rid of a Boxster and get a "practical" car, the Cayenne would not be a bad substitute ! Congratulations !
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
bmussatti

Nice!

May the Force be with you!!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Glad to hear your sticking around.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #5

Cayenne is nice but needs some new wheels. The stock wheels on the Cayenne are blah. Lots of good options, I know b/c I did alot of research for wheels on my Touareg (same wheel as Cayenne).

Let me know if you want any ideas.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #6

What's your actual fuel economy on that new Porsha SUV there, friend?

With oil projected to hit 80 a barrel any day and possibly 100 bucks by year's end, one must ask these important questions.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
bmussatti

I think it's 0.37 MPG.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think it's 0.37 MPG.
Did you get the Option Code T-100? It's an optional external 100 gallon fuel tank so you can make it home from the gas station....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #9

Did you know that if you leave a Cayenne Turbo S running while filling up the tank - it never fills up?

Ahhhhh......... Fridays.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #10

My best friend has cayenne S he has had since 04. It not only get decent mileage for an SUV, better than any rover or tahoe, it saved his life. He was sandwhiched in between a two totalled cars and a pickup truck. He walked away and his Cayenne was not so bad, He wanted it to be totalled but instead they replaced all the aero with turbo parts and it looks like a turbo now with S badging he put back on(not a poser)

I have never met anyone with a Cayenne who was unhappy with it.

I don't think average mileage will be too different from the 987S. Why? Because in another post people were complaining of 18-19 mpg in the 987S. He gets 19mpg on the highway.

Good choice, very good choice.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
bmussatti

According to the Porsche web-site, it's about 14 MPG city:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-s/featuresandspecs/?gtabindex=8
Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
What's your actual fuel economy on that new Porsha SUV there, friend?

With oil projected to hit 80 a barrel any day and possibly 100 bucks by year's end, one must ask these important questions.

No need to worry about this. If gas goes too high, paying your chevron card will be the least of your worries.

A boxster is not an economy car either, for 21mpg(my obc avg) it only carries two people. The Cayenne carries 5 at 16mpg avg. The cayenne is a freaking Prius in comparison.

Yes Friday...short timing on the 986 forums!

Have a nice weekend all!

05 S - looking...
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #13

Hi,

Everyone's definition of Practicality can differ. The Cayenne is certainly Bigger and perhaps more versatile, but paying anywhere from $42,200 - $111,600 (source - Edmunds) for an SUV which gets 14MPG City is anything but Practical.

It's not the most safe, lots of other SUVs have higher Crash Safety Ratings. And it's annual cost of operation is certainly not the lowest in the SUV Category, nor is insurance. It may give you Off-Road capability, but the list of Cayennes which have actually seen Mud is as short as the list of Muslims I have met in Bars.

With apologies to you and Carmella Soprano, I think it's an Ugly, Overpowered, Status Symbol on 4 wheels. I hate it and wish Porsche had never decided to build it. I think it's degraded the Marque considerably.

I understand that it helped Porsche pull back from the edge of the Abyss, but I think a 4-door Sport Sedan or 2-door Sport Coupe would have had the same effect and this is where I think Porsche should have evolved, and will ultimately in the future.

All this said, it's just My opinion and I respect yours to both like it and buy one. I have no reason to wish you anything but the best of luck with it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Everyone's definition of Practicality can differ. The Cayenne is certainly Bigger and perhaps more versatile, but paying anywhere from $42,200 - $111,600 (source - Edmunds) for an SUV which gets 14MPG City is anything but Practical.

It's not the most safe, lots of other SUVs have higher Crash Safety Ratings. And it's annual cost of operation is certainly not the lowest in the SUV Category, nor is insurance. It may give you Off-Road capability, but the list of Cayennes which have actually seen Mud is as short as the list of Muslims I have met in Bars.

With apologies to you and Carmella Soprano, I think it's an Ugly, Overpowered, Status Symbol on 4 wheels. I hate it and wish Porsche had never decided to build it. I think it's degraded the Marque considerably.

I understand that it helped Porsche pull back from the edge of the Abyss, but I think a 4-door Sport Sedan or 2-door Sport Coupe would have had the same effect and this is where I think Porsche should have evolved, and will ultimately in the future.

All this said, it's just My opinion and I respect yours to both like it and buy one. I have no reason to wish you anything but the best of luck with it...

I am sure it fits his mission well and that is what matters.

I am sure he didn't give a rat's a$$ what a fictional TV character thought of her Cayenne.

And hell yeah it is a status symbol; what is wrong with that? It is a status symbol SUV that drives like a performance car. I cayenne is a hybrid of sorts. It is a performance car/SUV for people who do not want to own a status symbol, a minivan, a truck, and a true sports car. Compromises are inevitable, but the Cayenne does it well.

05 S - looking...
Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #15

that's interesting because I think an SUV is the only "slot machine" that Porsche could have cashed in on without degrading the brand image.
Because its an entirely different category.

a Luxury Porsche sedan (I hope its f'*&^%% REALLY expensive) will only bring more (whatever that word for something exclusive, fancy, expensive all rolled up into one). But like the SUV, the Panamera has little to do with racing. Unless the race the Panamera in DTM or BTCC. That would be COOL!!!

A low cost sports coupe would be a bad move. Intentionally held back with low HP, tall 1st gear and cheap interior parts? Just to put out a low cost item/high volume item on the market? Porsche doesn't need to go there, they can make the same money selling fewer units at a much higher price. Which is exactly what they did with a ludicrously expensive "4x4/family wagon/minvan" type thing.
Add some muscle and top notch suspension and its a High Performance familywagon
We've gotten so use to seeing $50,000 family wagons we don't even think it unusual anymore.

Meanwhile Porsche cha cha ching...makes one "family wagon" for every sports car.
Yet after all of the millions they've made people still come up to me and say "wow a Porsche my dream car"
Smart dudes those Germans.

I remember that station wagon my dad used to have with the fake vinyl wood on the sides. Now that was an SUV!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-14-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
It is a status symbol SUV that drives like a performance car. I cayenne is a hybrid of sorts. It is a performance car/SUV for people who do not want to own a status symbol, a minivan, a truck, and a true sports car. Compromises are inevitable, but the Cayenne does it well.
Hi,

Clearly we disagree, and that's OK. But an SUV which drives like a performance car is a bit of a stretch.

It has high straight-line speed because of it's ridiculously large engine, but it's hardly nimble or agile. Compared to other SUVs maybe, but no SUV drives like a performance car. If that's what you think, you need to keep learning...

Old 07-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #17

not agile or nimble hey now that's slander!

the Cayenne Turbo lapped the N-Ring in the same time as the mid engined BoxsterS, well at least that's what I read in Road&Track when the SUV was unveiled.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #18

Jim,
I didn't even test the straight line speed. I thought you had mentioned the word practical. Straight line speed has nothing to do with practical.

Yes, of course, I meant compared to other SUV's.

Have you even driven one? This is a forum and I was making a point, if you disagree, you don't have to make it personal. Quote"If that's what you think, you need to keep learning.."

My friend lives in a downtown apartment. He can have only one vehicle. Name another that fits all of those qualities above and keep in mind he is one of those people who just loves Porsche. Porsche figured it out..."keep learning" and you will too.

I still say "Good Choice" !!!!!!

05 S - looking...
Old 07-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #19

Wow! The guy buys a beautiful new truck, takes the time to show us the pictures and we tear it to shreds and then start throwing punches at one another.

I knew I liked this forum. It's just like being back home in North Philly. Go Eagles!
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
Jim,
I didn't even test the straight line speed. I thought you had mentioned the word practical. Straight line speed has nothing to do with practical.

Yes, of course, I meant compared to other SUV's.

Have you even driven one? This is a forum and I was making a point, if you disagree, you don't have to make it personal. Quote"If that's what you think, you need to keep learning.."

My friend lives in a downtown apartment. He can have only one vehicle. Name another that fits all of those qualities above and keep in mind he is one of those people who just loves Porsche. Porsche figured it out..."keep learning" and you will too.

I still say "Good Choice" !!!!!!

Hi,

You're mistaken, I did not make it personal. It's inherently wrong or incorrect to call an SUV, any SUV, a performance Car. It's not a car, it's a truck and it has a high COG and cannot perform in the same way as a true performance car. The remark is not to personally attack you, but your use of the misnomer.

And, my initial post was clearly labled as my opinion, one well founded in the nomenclature of what a Sports or Performance Car is.

There is nothing Practical about a Cayenne. It may be more versatile than a Boxster by carrying more people or being more all-weather, but not practical. Anyone driving one because they love Porsches are posers. These things are not Porsches in the classic sense and are not rooted in Porsche's past as the Boxster is.

And, as mentioned, who cares what the automotive press thinks. What writers like Jay Lamm and Eric Gustafson know about cars would fill a thimble, but what they think they know about cars would take a Blimp Hanger to contain.

I have driven 2 Cayennes extensively, maybe 5k mi. in total, a base and a Turbo S. The first owned by a friend (an attorney who has it as his lease car from the practice) and the other (Turbo S) owned by my Bro-in-Law who has it because my sister won't let him buy a 911, it was the best compromise he could muster (so he thinks).

I tell him all the time that it's an Ugly piece of junk. They are awful and are only made more awful by the ridiculous sticker price, proving once again that there's one born every minute. As another said "Cha Cha Ching" for Porsche that they can sucker anyone into actually wanting, and paying for one of these... Oh, and bye the way, I was born in Philly...